Why your Avatar?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A selkie is a mythical creature from Celtic folklore who can change form between human and seal. I chose this because it was aquatic and reflected my Scots heritage. The DVM is just my professional degree tagged on because "Selkie" alone was taken. I used to use just my first name but got a little paranoid and so had it changed.

I change avatars from time to time and this one should be self explanatory. I was born in Chapel Hill, went to UNC, my parents and brother went to UNC, my father was on faculty at UNC - you get the idea - I bleed Carolina blue and all that. I do have another brother who went to Duke and is on faculty there, but he's also left handed and was dropped on his head as a baby.:wink:

Last edited:
I Dive is the first thing that came to mind when I had to choose a screen name. It seemed logical enough... My avatar is a pic of a shirt I own (found online, I didn't actually take a picture of my shirt!) The Avatar isn't as clear as I wanted it to be-it's a diver giving a shark the finger and reads "Last great act of defiance"

El Orans comes from "Lawrence of Arabia".

My avatar changes frequently. Currently it's a Cylon Centurion on New Caprica.

With a name like Marvel, who needs a screen name? :wink: Avatar is a picture taken by El Orans at DEMA (& he changed it on the sly, too)

Okay, I'll play. My dad was a fairly famous bullseye pistolsmith in the 1950's -1980's and his shop name was Giles .45 Shop.

My avatar is yours truly getting ready for a training dive in the lake behind my house.

John

"Roses are red, and how do you do? Drink four of these, and woo woo woo woo!"
-Curly 1940

Curly is my hero.

My Mother is Irish and my Father is Polish. A friend of mine said I was a micklock.:D

Once when I was about into high school I was camping with some of my friends and it was my turn to get more firewood, because of various circumstances I came into view sort of in silhouette from the campfire a bit disheveled holding a hatchet in my hand, no wood hence the name, funny I never used it myself until I needed a screenname after Al Gore invented the internet.

my last name is Foxworth, all my life my nick name has been "Fox". My best friend and roomate from college added the "Cousteau" part since I'd rather be under than above water (air permitting). The Avatar is me "chill-laxing" at the bottom of Alexander Springs. I don't wear any of the equipment any more that is in the picture, but I still like the view.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom