Wife is sometimes a bad buddy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'll answer your basic question again. YES, she'll be fine with pool refresher before going to Coz. Just tell the the DM that she is "una principiante," a beginner.

This thread proves a point: Getting negative attention is better than not getting any attention.

The above is intended to describe the motive behind the husband's posts throughout this thread but could include the wife's behavior while diving.

I can understand not liking low vis and heavy wetsuits. I started in those conditions and didn't have such a problem with it, but I still have little desire to do it anymore. And I despise hoods. To each their own. As this clearly isn't for her I don't think you should push the issue. I think it's fine for her to dive warm clear water once a year or 2. Lots of people do it. She's probably better off than many, she's at least been in some worse conditions and I'm guessing she also has more general awareness of her skills and what's rusty or not. (As compared to a really casual diver who got certified on a cruise say, and does 2 dives every couple years on a cruise or something like that. It sounds like you are going to dive when you go, not just do a couple dives.

I have friends that only dive every 5 years on a tropical trip because that's what they can do right now. Same as us, started in cold water and lost interest in that. They are aware they need to review and do so. They do just fine.

Perhaps you were dumped on a bit much, but the title "Wife is sometimes a bad buddy" really set the wrong tone. (If I was in the same situation and found my husband had made a post with that title I'd be pissed.) Buddy works both ways. Among other things, a good buddy does not insist someone dive when they clearly don't want to.

Please someone start a new topic on
"Diving couples where one is not as keen as the other"
or
"Making coldwater diving more comfortable"

This one's become a bit too contentious and personal. But that's what gets people reading. How about a thread under the Non diving-related on
"diving problems as indications of deeper relationship problems"?

How about these topics:

1. What's the most fun you ever had diving?
2. How DIR improved my family life.
3. Let's talk about positive life experiences.
4. My wife is my most trusted dive buddy.
5. My wife works too so if she can't go for a dive neither can I.

Think anyone would be interested in talking about good stuff?

Louie:
Please someone start a new topic on
"Diving couples where one is not as keen as the other"
or
"Making coldwater diving more comfortable"

This one's become a bit too contentious and personal. But that's what gets people reading. How about a thread under the Non diving-related on
"diving problems as indications of deeper relationship problems"?

azsilver:
We (my husband and I) do pool refreshers because we both do not want to dive the low vis and cold water in fresh water lakes of Arizona.

There's cold water in Arizona? When I visist my brother and sister in Tucson, I feel like putting ice in the water of their pool! :icecream1

DivingCRNA:
I WAS ASKING IF IT IS SAFE FOR HER TO JUST DIVE THE OCEAN WITH POOL REFRESHERS AT HOME!

a lot safer than you dragging her into conditions she's clearly not comfortable
with. you two are an accident waiting to happen, and she's the one who's
going to get hurt.

there, how's that?

If your wife is uncomfortable diving in low viz and in the cold then don't push the issue!!! One of these days she may bolt to the surface and the results could be tragic!!! TRAGIC!!!

Dive together where it's warm look at the pretty fishes and the pretty coral!!!

No matter what you stay with your buddy!! I think that you swim off and leave her to catch up she gets scared and loses you and goes to the surface. It's easy in low viz to lose track of your buddy, especially if you are already scared and upset...

Ask yourself if finding another dive buddy for the cold low viz or forcing your wife, the woman you "love" and the mother of your children, is her life is worth your ego!!! I bet if you find some other buddy to dive cold with your home life will be happier at dive time!!!

I, for one pretty much think that you are a jerk, as well proven by your posts when no one rushed to your side to say poor man you are so abused because she won't play the game your way....

That's my 2PSI

navillus:
azsilver:
We (my husband and I) do pool refreshers because we both do not want to dive the low vis and cold water in fresh water lakes of Arizona.

There's cold water in Arizona? When I visist my brother and sister in Tucson, I feel like putting ice in the water of their pool! :icecream1

This is off the SB Arizona forum
azcaddman:
last time I was there, (June 12, about a month ago) , off vista point, Lake Pleasent

0-25' - 75° vis 5-10'
25-35' - 65° vis 5-10'
35-65' - 58° vis 10-15'

its probably a couple degrees warmer (mostly at the top), and the thermoclines might have moved a little deeper.

vis gets better the deeper you go (generaly)

The vis is much better and the water warmer than during the winter....but at 35-65' the temp is around 58° I would need my 7ml or drysuit...just remember we live in the desert and we do not get in our swimming pools until the water temp is 80°. I no longer have the cold tolerance that I had when I grew up in NE Iowa.

AZ divers

I think you guys need to ease up on Don. If I have done a lot of dives in the lake he is talking about and the conditions can change very quickly. My wife is a great dive buddy and we have had to surface to find each other in this lake. It is only used for diving so lots of new divers go there for their OW certification dives. They hit the bottom and the visibility quickly goes from 20+' to 0'. If he and his wife went later in the day, I imagine the muck from the bottom was already churned up and reduced visibility.

I have been talking to him through PM's because I am from his area and know the lake. I think he was posting because he loves his wife and wants to be able to share this great sport with her. Sometimes it is hard to convey emotion through words on the internet. I think that is what has happened here.

Andrew

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom