Will DAN cover you if you are not cert as solo diver?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I disagree. I can think of dozens of non life threatening situations that a solo diver might need diving insurance for.

For that, the normal travel insurance should be able to cover right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If something happens to you diving solo it is likely you will not need DAN. Just a coroner.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

I disagree. I can think of dozens of non life threatening situations that a solo diver, or any diver, might need dive insurance for.

It depends on what DAN entity insures you. As a DAN USA member with Preferred insurance (or Master), I'm covered for any diving accident regardless of depth, level of certification, or compliance with any rules someone wants to claim are part of diving within a given certification (i.e., having a buddy if not solo certified). DAN Europe, I know from reading their policy exclusions, makes reference to diving within certification/training. DAN Asia may as well.

If something happens to you diving solo it is likely you will not need DAN. Just a coroner.

While there's a kernel of truth to this -- in that if you lose consciousness while solo you're almost very certainly dead and if you have a buddy present and paying attention and who doesn't panic you're only almost certainly dead -- it's not really a useful response. Solos get bent the same way that buddied divers do, which is to say most are perfectly capable of getting themselves out of the water and seeking medical help after/as/before the DCS hit takes hold. Whether DAN will pay for your chamber ride(s) after a hit that occurs while solo diving is a pretty good question to ask.

If I am solo diving and I would need to perform an emergency ascent, chances of getting DCS is high.

What I learn is, when ****s really happens, stop, think and act. When you have a free flow reg or some multifunction of your equipment that is related to your air source, you will normally based on ur air gauge n start to ascent.

If you are left with 50 bar and you are proceeding to perform your safety stop, u got free flow, you will normally abort the safety stop and break to surface at a slow and controlled speed n monitor your air, when u have say 10-20 bar, this will be your last breath before breaking to surface.

1) DAN Insurance varies depending on the region (different underwriters - different clauses). Check based on your region.

2) Divemaster is in no way, shape or form a 'solo' diving certification.

3) Only a solo diving certification is a solo diving certification (but it might be called a 'self-reliant' certification, same thing).

4) Solo diving certification courses teach gas management and the use of appropriate redundant air sources. In no way, shape or form, would it be tolerable to accept that "chances of getting DCS were high", just because you were diving alone... if properly trained and equipped.

5) Based on the OP's (Cool79's) concept-weak comments in this thread, they should absolutely consider solo diving certification before attempting any solo diving.

Not sure what my source is in this but i have always thought i was covered as long as i was diving with in my training limits.

150 feet on a ow or aow not covered
cave with an ow no with a cave cert yes

i have bene wrong before though

1) DAN Insurance varies depending on the region (different underwriters - different clauses). Check based on your region.

2) Divemaster is in no way, shape or form a 'solo' diving certification.

3) Only a solo diving certification is a solo diving certification (but it might be called a 'self-reliant' certification, same thing).

4) Solo diving certification courses teach gas management and the use of appropriate redundant air sources. In no way, shape or form, would it be tolerable to accept that "chances of getting DCS were high", just because you were diving alone... if properly trained and equipped.

5) Based on the OP's (Cool79's) concept-weak comments in this thread, they should absolutely consider solo diving certification before attempting any solo diving.

Being self reliant should be a basic element for certification at any level. If a diver is not self-reliant, not competent to dive alone, they certainly should not be certified, and probably should be limited to training dives in a pool.

In my experience diving with a group of strangers at some resort is more dangerous than an equivalent solo dive.

Being self reliant should be a basic element for certification at any level.

I agree. I don't think that anyone should be considered a certified diver if they can't dive without a buddy. Buddy separation is very easy, even under relatively benign conditions. I read a lot of threads here where plan A seems to be to get help from a buddy, and that always struck me as a bit concerning. It's nice to have a buddy to help you out, and it's a good backup system, but that's all.

I also wonder why people post questions like this. I mean, we are ALL happy to chew the fat endlessly about what the best BC is, what to do in this emergency or that, which is the best dive OP in Cozumel, etc... Those are appropriate topics for crowdsourcing the discussion, and that is one of the main reasons scubaboard exists. However, the question here is "I have entered into a legal contract with a corporation. What do YOU guys think my rights under this contract are?"

Seriously, what if the OP got 20 replies, each saying that they were sure that he would be covered in situation X. What good is that, anyway? If it's important to know, then it's important to know, and the way that you find out is to ask DAN. It's sort of like posting "hey guys, do you think that this tank is full (see attached photo)?"

:)

Being self reliant should be a basic element for certification at any level. If a diver is not self-reliant, not competent to dive alone, they certainly should not be certified, and probably should be limited to training dives in a pool.

This is true. The course mentioned is inherently (and by stated aim) a solo diving certification; but the name (I suspect) was chosen to highlight beneficial applications of that training beyond merely 'diving alone'.

In my experience diving with a group of strangers at some resort is more dangerous than an equivalent solo dive.

I agree. It was a concept well conveyed by Mark Powell last year.

[vimeo]49259855[/vimeo]

That said, entry-level scuba training trains people to dive in the buddy system. That is what you are qualified for. The quality of application of that training, for better or worse, is irrelevant to your qualification. Solo/Self-Reliant training is explicitly a separate and stand-alone qualification; independent and unique from any other training course.

Are You Ready For Solo Diving? | Advanced Diving Skills

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom