Will I get grief from TSA for carrying on reg?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Unfortunately, it doesn't.

I have had three long conversations with TSA HQ and the bottom line each time is, an agent on the ground can basically change any written rule they want on carry on and check in to make it stricter if they think it is a good idea at the time. Essentially, I was told they COULD make me check my regs if they wanted to even though it is IN WRITING I can carry them on. Typical gov agency actually.

I remember a post a while back....someone mentioned bringing a ziploc for your compass just in case they have a problem of the liquid, which I have done ever since I read that post but, never had a problem.
I did however have a problem with a newbie TSA person at Burbank airport in Cali, an agent said to me "you can't bring this thing with the hoses on the plane"! I said this is the first time I've heard of this and have been through there numerous times with my reg and kind of looked at her like she was nuts. Another agent corrected her and I was on my way.

My carry-on usually contains 2 regs with compass and computer, GPS, VHF radio, iPod, and flashlight. The only time it ever got special attention was returning from Kona, where the TSA guy just wanted to make sure there was no knife on the hose.

Never had a problem with my regs but Have had my laptop given a extra look or two. Carry it all in my back- pack. Had on TSA guy in Houston pull me out of line and do the extra search thing because of the air cast I was wearing on my arm for tendonditis in the elbow. The hardest part of any overseas travel is departing or re-intering the good ol' USA. Is that because we're safer or just have a beter intrenched bureaucracy.

Well, as a follow-up, I had zero problems during the many security lines I had to go through. Thank goodness!

Nope, not that I've seen. Traveled to PVallarta, Nassau, and keys via Miami this year and never a question...

Back
Top Bottom