Info Words used differently by the public and scientists

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I disagree with the definition of fact that is provided. The media, our politicians and society has completely destroyed the meaning of "fact". To many people, a fact is anything they believe to be true. They talk about people having their own facts, and see zero problem with these "facts" being in direct conflict with each other.

People literally no longer know the definition of "fact" as well as "literally" . They use that word incorrectly, more frequently than not.

You and Donald Rumsfeld would hit it off.
Donald ain't smart enough to compete with me

I believe this logic or illogic is applicable to many "discussions" on ScubaBoard...

Argument from ignorance (argumentum ad ignorantiam), also known as appeal to ignorance (where ignorance represents "a lack of contrary evidence"), is a fallacy in informal logic. An argument from ignorance asserts that a proposition is true because it has not yet been proven false, or a proposition is false because it has not yet been proven true.

An argument from ignorance represents a type of false dichotomy because it excludes the possibility that there may have been an insufficient investigation to prove the proposition is true or false. It does not allow for the possibility that the answer is unknowable, only knowable in the future, or neither completely true nor completely false.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom