Working as instructor or DM in Thailand

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Phuket gives you the creeps or Patong does? I surely understand if it is Patong.

Yes, workpermits are getting more and more important. It is still possible to work freelance without, but more and more DC's require a WP. At the pier is even an immigration office these days, which makes checking a lot easier.

One of the instructors got a warning because he was (with WP) directing people to the bus, and since on his WP it said diving, he was not allowed to do that!

They really are cracking down. And I think it is good that more and more Thai are working in the diveindustry here, but life for foreigners is getting more and more difficult here. And I think that is not really necessary.

Yeah, primarily Patong but also Kata and Karong, to some extent. I have to go for my annual pilgrimage to Holger at Dive Supply for gear, so its unavoidable, I reckon.

Re. more Thai are working in the industry - dunno what it is like in Phuket, but in Tao, its mostly foreigners working but all the dive shops are owed by Thais, which explains why the boat captains have absolutely no discipline or respect for dive flags. At a recent IDC, I came up to brief the next set of instructor candidates and almost got run over by one of the dive boats - despite coming up on the flag.

Cheers,
Vandit

stevenl:
but life for foreigners is getting more and more difficult here. And I think that is not really necessary.

Amen to that. It is getting harder, you'd think with recent events in the last year in Thailand the authorities would be wanting to encourage more foreigners to come here.

As said above Tao is a lot more relaxed with regards to WPs. Most of the DMs and DMTs are doing it on the side and doing visa runs to Ranong every 30 days. If I were to do my IDC and Instruct for a living I would definately want to be covered legally.

I am finding it easier over the last couple of years. Being married to a Thai and having 2 children helps a lot! The paperwork needed for visas and work permit is reduced and have had no problems for a long time. Short stay instructors looking for casual work in Phuket will often be at the bottom of the freelance list. There are quite a few who have been here several years and have work permits. Employing an instructor without a work permit is a risk for the dive shop as well as the individual. At the same time, you might just be lucky and walk into a job, especially if you speak several languages and have some experience diving in the region.

Oh, and don't expect to make enough money to retire on!

I'm considering travelling to Phuket/Khao Lak for a few months over the summer. I am a student in Dublin, Ireland and travelling over my summer break. I'm currently an PADI Assistant Instructor and EFRI with a few specialties and lots of experience in tough conditions. English is really my only language. Im willing to spend for my flights and maybe a few hundred euro more. I want to get my IE done and then work for the summer to make back some of my expenses (though I don't expect to cover it all). Do you think it is worth my while in the context of this thread? Could I work on a student visa? Id appreciate any advice you can offer.

You probably could make some money if you are willing to take the gamble and work without WP and if you find a DC that is willing to take that gamble.

However, is a DC that oiprates that way a DC you would want to work for?

Normally during the summer months there are not too many instructors and quite some guests, so in that respect you should be ok.

Work on a student visa is not allowed.

Steve,

Thanks for the info. Is a work permit available once I'm over there or is it something I want to ask the dive centre so I can apply in advance? Again I won't have my OWSI until after I've arrived.

Most of the DMs I met in Thailand paid or went on Visa Run every month. (Without work visa).
That must have been on Koh Tao or Samui, probably not on Phuket. Payment in stead of going yourself is anyway illegal and not recommendable.

Regarding the workpermit: has to be applied for here, and on Phuket it takes really long, count on a couple of months. Plus you will need an employer.

Many Freelance Instructors open up their own companies in order to get a work permit.
Basically to set up a Company Ltd. the cost is around 20 000 baht and a Ltd Partnership about 15 000 baht. In order to do this you would need your landlord/landlady's address and their approval to use their home as an office base.

A good contact on Phuket is Khun Ae from Scubaline Accounting Services via tel: 015697505. She speaks very good English and has vast experience with this. There are other companies who can do this as well such as Sam from the International Law Office.

In the event of an Instructor given a work permit from a company?
Bear in mind that irrespective of the company who applied for the work permit for an Instructor. The work permit belongs to the individual Instructor and not the company. In other words should the Instructor decide to leave a company to work for another - the work permit can be transferrable. Although the company that the Instructor joins must have the same baht value as the previous company in order to accommodate the work permit.

Complicated? Yes. Hope this info is of some help to those who want to know more about the Red Tape on Phuket.

Back
Top Bottom