Working as instructor or DM in Thailand

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Louie:
In the Gulf of Th, the common rate for freelancers is 25% of course cost. Going rate for OW is around 8300 to 8500 baht per person so 25% of that minus pic card cost is 2000 per student. Some places hire instructors on wages or employ a system of pooled rates.

However, if you do something that a DM is able to do (such as guided dives or Scuba Reviews), you may get a DM rate which is lower (around 500 - 600 baht/per day).
I believe the average wage in Thailand is about 200 Baht per day, which works out to about $5 US. That's for a hard, long day of work.
So for foreigners, 600 Baht/day ($15) is alot less than they'd be used to, but for Thais it's an ok living
so you get a lot of attention, loving care, etc for your $1.

BTW, the crew of the boats can earn less than the DMS.

That's another reason why I make a point to tip DMs, crew, hotel maids every day - it really means alot
to them, and it sickens me when well healed westerners won't even tip a single Baht (2.5 cents).

Oh, and the quality in my experience over the past decade in Thailand has been that the Thais are top notch, some having even been to medical school.

MoonWrasse:
and it sickens me when well healed westerners won't even tip a single Baht (2.5 cents).

I am the same. Of the 3 months I spent in SE Asia, there was only one Canadian couple from BC that tipped as much or as often as me. Other people I traveled with would sometimes tell not to tip. There was one time I saw a fight when this European guy didn't want to tip 40 baht because he was complaining the gratuity was included in the check.

My original question is tipping DM is "EXPECTED"? I just never knew this, I can understand tips for hospitality workers. hmm let me email one of the DMs I dove with for almost 2 weeks and see if he expected a tip from me. :) ohh and he was one of the cheapest person I met in my life.

This guy is in Argentina now.

BikerManiac:
I am the same. Of the 3 months I spent in SE Asia, there was only one Canadian couple from BC that tipped as much or as often as me. Other people I traveled with would sometimes tell not to tip. There was one time I saw a fight when this European guy didn't want to tip 40 baht because he was complaining the gratuity was included in the check.

My original question is tipping DM is "EXPECTED"? I just never knew this, I can understand tips for hospitality workers. hmm let me email one of the DMs I dove with for almost 2 weeks and see if he expected a tip from me. :) ohh and he was one of the cheapest person I met in my life.

This guy is in Argentina now.

Tipping is not expected here, but if the service is good then give a nice tip I say. It is sad to see how many times the daytrip and Liveaboard boat crews are often forgotten.

MoonWrasse:
I believe the average wage in Thailand is about 200 Baht per day, which works out to about $5 US. That's for a hard, long day of work.
So for foreigners, 600 Baht/day ($15) is alot less than they'd be used to, but for Thais it's an ok living
so you get a lot of attention, loving care, etc for your $1.

BTW, the crew of the boats can earn less than the DMS.

That's another reason why I make a point to tip DMs, crew, hotel maids every day - it really means alot
to them, and it sickens me when well healed westerners won't even tip a single Baht (2.5 cents).

Oh, and the quality in my experience over the past decade in Thailand has been that the Thais are top notch, some having even been to medical school.

Yes you are indeed correct that foreigners in the business can make more money than most Thais.

However, as foreigners are charged more for goods and services than the Thais, they'd struggle on the average Thai wage (people say there are three prices 1) for Thais 2) for long-term Farangs/foreigners 3) for tourists).

And this is one of the reasons why tourists won't tip for dives and courses. They think that they're being squeezed for every baht that can be squeezed out of them. Also, tipping is generally not expected in Thailand. Then, there are the cheap backpackers who would NEVER tip (why, a baht is 1/60 the price of a beer - a precious sum!!).

Louie:
Yes you are indeed correct that foreigners in the business can make more money than most Thais.

However, as foreigners are charged more for goods and services than the Thais, they'd struggle on the average Thai wage (people say there are three prices 1) for Thais 2) for long-term Farangs/foreigners 3) for tourists).

And this is one of the reasons why tourists won't tip for dives and courses. They think that they're being squeezed for every baht that can be squeezed out of them. Also, tipping is generally not expected in Thailand. Then, there are the cheap backpackers who would NEVER tip (why, a baht is 1/60 the price of a beer - a precious sum!!).
You've repeated some general misunderstandings/misconceptions about Thailand.

Gas is expensive in Thailand, for Thais and foreigners. About the same price as in the US.

Also tips are appreciated in Thailand, and noted when smallish or nothing at all. Thais just tend to not show public displeasure.
For example my maid informed me this morning that another guest at the hotel, some Euro species, only left 10 baht after staying there a whole month. Geez, that's 25 cents. That's the rule, not the exception, and it's not a backpacker hotel.

I choose to represent my country well and share my $ with the little people. They do note that generosity and remember me as I've been returning for 11 years now to Thailand.

This isn't directed at you, but at the general ding-dong farang who choose to piss all over the warm hearted Thais :(

As a "long term farang", yes I think I pay more than Thais for some things and less than "tourists", but only because I know where to go and how much things are worth. Very hard for a foreigner to live like a local. The wages paid are based on what is expected. You could not hire a multilingual foreign dive instructor for 10,000 Baht a month, and at the same time, dive companies cannot pay boat crews and office staff 40,000 Baht per month. The salaries for Thai staff compare well to other jobs they can get. Our secretary (in a dive shop) gets more salary than my wifes sister who works in a bank. Some of the office staff here in Phuket get good salaries, sometimes commission based. When you get good staff you try to keep them. Boat crew tend to be paid much less and tips are always appreciated. On a liveaboard with 16 guests, if every guest leaves 500 Baht, thats 8000 Baht. 500 Baht tip after a 4 day, 600 dollar dive trip is not much to ask really is it? I reckon 1000 is more like it, or split that between the crew and your DM or give the DM a seperate tip. Some boats just split the tips equally between all crew including foreign DM's. When I was tour leader on a liveaboard I had a tip box for the crew only and suggested tip of at least 500 Baht per person (IF you think you have been well looked after), and if you want to tip your DM (or tour leader) thats up to you.

I'm rambling. Anyway. Tip, yes, do it.

I tip in restaurants here. Normally only 10 Baht or maybe 20, depends on the place. Up to you. I know for a fact that a waitress here makes really low wages and depend on the tips. If you have a nice meal for 100 Baht and sit blabbing about how cheap it is, and you'd never get food that cheap at home, just stop and think about how you might live on a salary of 125 US$ per month...Leave a tip.

Ramble over.

MoonWrasse:
You've repeated some general misunderstandings/misconceptions about Thailand.

Gas is expensive in Thailand, for Thais and foreigners. About the same price as in the US.

Also tips are appreciated in Thailand, and noted when smallish or nothing at all. Thais just tend to not show public displeasure.
For example my maid informed me this morning that another guest at the hotel, some Euro species, only left 10 baht after staying there a whole month. Geez, that's 25 cents. That's the rule, not the exception, and it's not a backpacker hotel.

I choose to represent my country well and share my $ with the little people. They do note that generosity and remember me as I've been returning for 11 years now to Thailand.

This isn't directed at you, but at the general ding-dong farang who choose to piss all over the warm hearted Thais :(

There may be warm-hearted Thais but there are also plenty of those who'll get whatever they can get out of the ding-dong farang. It's considered sharp business practice and who can blame them.

I'm speaking of observations and experience of other non-Thais who'd worked here. If I get a local to help me do the shoppingor arrange my accommodation, my bill is considerably lower EVERY TIME. Helpful Thais have often offered to help me as they know I'll be ripped off as a farang.

Holidaying short term is different from having to live and work in a place: you see a slightly different picture of the people and practices and sometimes, they're not so warm-hearted.

Batfish:
As a "long term farang", yes I think I pay more than Thais for some things and less than "tourists", but only because I know where to go and how much things are worth. Very hard for a foreigner to live like a local. The wages paid are based on what is expected. You could not hire a multilingual foreign dive instructor for 10,000 Baht a month, and at the same time, dive companies cannot pay boat crews and office staff 40,000 Baht per month. The salaries for Thai staff compare well to other jobs they can get. Our secretary (in a dive shop) gets more salary than my wifes sister who works in a bank. Some of the office staff here in Phuket get good salaries, sometimes commission based. When you get good staff you try to keep them. Boat crew tend to be paid much less and tips are always appreciated. On a liveaboard with 16 guests, if every guest leaves 500 Baht, thats 8000 Baht. 500 Baht tip after a 4 day, 600 dollar dive trip is not much to ask really is it? I reckon 1000 is more like it, or split that between the crew and your DM or give the DM a seperate tip. Some boats just split the tips equally between all crew including foreign DM's. When I was tour leader on a liveaboard I had a tip box for the crew only and suggested tip of at least 500 Baht per person (IF you think you have been well looked after), and if you want to tip your DM (or tour leader) thats up to you.

I'm rambling. Anyway. Tip, yes, do it.

I tip in restaurants here. Normally only 10 Baht or maybe 20, depends on the place.
Ramble over.
Betcha your resturarnt has wheels :)

I just wish there were more pancake wagoons around, but maybe that's beter as I'd need more weights to dive :)

The mobile food is great. Pancakes, fruits, phad thai, fried chicken..we poorly paid dive instructors love the cheap food. If a meal costs more than 80 Baht (2 US$) that's getting out of my reach :) Only for special occasions. I try to avoid the farang places. Last night went to a farang run place by the beach, I had a draught beer for 60 Baht (reasonable), my wife felt peckish and ordered garlic bread (65 Baht). The waiter brought a dish out with a cover on it, looked like a nice big dish, he took the cover off with a VOILA. On the big plate were 3 small thin pieces of toasted bread that had been lightly smeared with garlic butter. For the same price as this we could have ordered a full Thai dish. The farang food is a ripoff sometimes. Damn I'm rambling again. Moral of story, when in Thailand, eat Thai food.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom