Would/Do you loan out your gear?

Would/Do you loan out your gear?

• Yes, always willing to help a fellow diver.

Votes: 39 28.3%
  • No, my gear is my life...

Votes: 55 39.9%
  • Not sure... depends how cute they are.

Votes: 44 31.9%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'd definitely loan my gear......even to a total 'stranger', as long as that 'stranger' was affiliated with my local dive shop. On more than one occassion I've had a new OW student, or a LDS 'regular' inquire as to how much I like my gear, and then ask me if they could test-dive one or more of my items.
I'm happy to oblige, as long as my LDS owner/instructorvouches for the person......it's a good way to break-the-ice and meet potential dive buddies.....and a way to 'show-off' some of my cool toys! :)
I've never been 'burned'......and being friendly/helpful with my LDS guarantees they'll return the 'favors' should I ever need something in return.

well i stand corrected today i did load some of my gear to a total stranger on the boat loaded him a extra compass i had small light and extra mask since his was broke i guiess on way to dive site and he returned it all !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MNScuba once bubbled...
OK, let's see where this goes... Here's the scenario:

You are at your dive destination and done diving for the day, someone you don't know or never dove with before asks if they can borrow a piece of your gear (dive light, fins, something like that).

Do you do it?

Would you loan out your wife

I answered yes, but it really depends on what they want to borrow. I have let people try out my gear, but they were students who are looking to buy. Just an out and out stranger... not real sure about that one.

Rich :mean:

Yes and no..

Yes to my regular buddy (I know where she lives!) Infact as I am not diving at the mo, she has some of my gear on long term loan.

Not my dry suit cos I love it and would be heart broken if anything happened to it.

Not major stuff to a stranger.

My hubbie climbs a lot and wouldn't lend his gear out, where it went out of his sight. As he puts it, you are relying on the honesty of strangers not to kill you.

Booga

I couldn't imagine letting anyone use any of my gear. Heck, I even like my Octopus so much that I'm not sure if I'd let anyone use that! ;-)

OK, so what is the risk of lending: 1) the person will break it & not reimburse you, or 2) the item will be lost.

I beleive that most divers understand that this is life-support equipment & will try to come back alive & fully equipped. If they lose a a mask or fin climbing back onto the boat, it may be clumsiness, but it could also be a fate thing, like I was meant to lose those fins so I could get a new pair.

The loss of the expensive stuff is LESS likely because it is strapped onto the person (reg, computer, BC).

If the poor soul does not surface, they are not just going to leave the fully geared up body down there for the funeral; they are going to raise him, return my mask to me, then incinerate him, put him in a waterproof urn, & dump him where they could have left him in the first place. I do not think it is likely that being a helpful loaner is very high risk.

I apply my general lending philosophy to diving-- that is, only lend out what I do not terribly mind not getting back. Of course, this is usually complicated by how much I know/trust the recieving party.

Generally speaking, I am not a very comfortable lender, and hence not a very comfortable borrower.

Once, a long time ago, I lent my backup light to a guy and you guessed it, I never got it back! My rule since then is to never lend gear. Don't even like people touching my gear. If I need something, I buy it. I pack carefully and bring what I need to the dive site. My thoughts are that a diver who comes to the dive site half prepared will more than likely dive that way also. I'm not being critical of anyone at all, these are just my thoughts on the matter. :tree: Bob

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom