Suggestion Wow...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am quite disappointed that his thread had degenerated into this. The petty accusations and ridiculous conspiracy theories are not helping anything. I am eager to have debate about the Scubaboard's policies in light of recent events. I don't care how heated the discussion becomes as long as it's rational, intelligent and civil. I am not, however, interested in being part of a puerile ***** session. If that's the direction we're headed please close this thread.

NetDoc:
Of course I did, because I do just that... however, if someone is threatening my turf and my friends, then you can bet I am going to do my homework and find out what they are up to. How in the world is that unethical? How in the world is that not right? Do you think I should just be a victim to some cyber thugs because you don't think it's fair to hide behind a user name?

Wow.

And we're horrible people when we try to do EXACTLY THE SAME THING.

You've got to be kidding me. Are you that blind, Pete?

Laser:
Herein lies the crux of some of the problems........
Tim, you seem to suggest my comment was attempting insuiate something about Netdoc and his motives. I wasn't; I want to be very clear about that. I am very interested in continuing the discussions we've started, but we can't do that if anyone involved is upset. These issues are heated enough as it is and I see no reason to throw more gas on the fire.

Amen Jonnythan!

Pete - with respect - READ WHAT YOU JUST WROTE!!!! AUGH!!!

Now turn the words around a bit... Obviously, you're upset because we're asking tough questions. And for the record, I have STILL received no word on why two threads were pulled, yet this one is allowed to stay. Obviously, you don't like us asking questions...

...however, if someone is threatening my turf and my friends, then you can bet I am going to do my homework and find out what they are up to. How in the world is that unethical? How in the world is that not right? Do you think they should just be a victim because you don't think it's fair to hide behind a moderator shield?

Jonnythan, I surely don't follow your line of thought.

I encourage others to maintain an air of anonymity here, just as I do elsewhere. My full name and location are public domain here. If I am dealing with someone who has made threats of physical violence to others, do you think I am going to blithely go up to the person and expose my jugular? What would you have honestly done in that situation? If when a user came to me and said, "Hey Pete, you should really hear what is going on here as these guys are trying to disrupt SB", do you think it prudent that I go and declare to them that I am here to collect facts about their possible involvement in such? Cops can go undercover to ferret out deviants, but it is somehow improper for me to do the same? Are you even trying to be reasonable here?

The only thing we mandate here is ONE USER NAME PER PERSON. Thems da rules. You can be as anonymous as you like, or as open as you like.

Cornfed, while this appears to be more of a whine session, the real meat is over at the thread on banning.

chrpai:
Actually its interseting, you quoted Laser but his post in the thread along with my reply to him is long gone. AND I never got a PM saying that it is being removed.

I'm not so worried about the Google Ads. I'm more worried about other sources of income ( such as class reports... we know who always posts those around here ) and any backside dealings ( for example will money influencing who becomes a moderator or who gets their posts pulled or banned because they disagree with the opinion of a certain interest group )

We don't have any one group over-represented in the board management. It's a pretty diverse group with a wide range of diving styles, agencies backgrounds and diving interests.

Any one can post a class report. If it's a class anouncement it should be posted on the proper forum.

medic13:
well I wasnt banned just they stopped me from posting for little while I guess .
I have had similar problems in the past. "They" didn't do anything, or at least not intentionally. Each time time I had a problem simply restarting my browser or clearing out my cookies fixed the issue.

medic13:
well I wasnt banned just they stopped me from posting for little while I guess .

What exactly was the error you received?

I've had some issues in the past where I could see the board, but I couldn't actually post anything. It just hung. It wasn't limited to this board, I had it on a board where I had to actually be logged in to be able to see the threads, so it wasn't a situation like that.

Needless to say, it's a quirky thing with vbulletin and required me to either close all my browser windows and/or restart my system to be able to get the posts to occur.

If you ban an IP and don't type in the last number it can ban a whole line of IP's. Especially with AOL driven IP's. The moderators have to only ban the individual IP's or more than a few will have the same effect. Its like carpet bombing versus precsion bombing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom