Wreckmania II Key Largo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
DennisW once bubbled...
My post before I edited it was a bit facetious. I was trying to be funny and I really and truly don't mind taking the phone test at all. Walter thought I wasn't funny, go figure.

Dennis,

I saw it before you edited and thought it was funny too so I am sure you will pass! What kind of airplane? My husband Jeff and I met in the Air Force and are both "wing nuts". Jeff is actually also an A&P licensed commercial mechanic so it is too bad he wasn't around to assist with that engine rebuild. My knowledge is limited to Air Force A-10's which I worked on and around for almost 11 years. Bob, a fellow Wreckmaniac, is a corporate pilot so we should have a fair amount of aviation speak around a Wreckmania II. Hope you can make it!

Natasha - my check is going in the mail tomorrow and my friend Tami sounds like she is going to be a Wreckmaniac as well. She will be in contact with you soon about her phone interview.

:bunny: Heather :bunny:

Heather:
You're awesome. Thanks. Glad to hear Tami wants to make it too.
Will she be able to sign on as a scuba board member and introduce herself?

At least someone appreciated my attempt at humor. I will know more about my status by the end of the week. I'll let you know.

The following is for Heather and Jeff:

Donna owns a 1973 Cessna Cardinal RG (C-177RG).
The engine on this airplane has a tendency to get close to max oil temperatures in the summertime in Florida. We have seen pretty high oil temps several times, which has, in my opinion, exacerbated the following problems. Unfortunately, the engine began to develop lower than normal power on takeoff and climb out. It was also using more oil than we liked. Still in specifications, but not good. We checked the compression and it was significantly lower than at the last annual. Still in specifications, but all of these things were indications of something wrong. So, we pulled the jug on number 1 and there was oil in the top of the cylinder. Not good, so we pulled another jug, same thing. Then as we were deciding on sending the cylinders off for honing and getting a new set of rings, we also inspected the cam. The number 1 exhaust lobe was worn below specifications. I suspect this was the main reason for the lower power. Since to replace the cam, you have to crack the case, you might as well do an overhaul.

We bought the plane in 1994 after a major overhaul, they installed chromed cylinders. Not this time. I have not heard one good experience about chromed cylinders. This engine only had about 800 hours on it.

So, in a couple of weeks, hopefully we wil be in the air again.

either is a saint or has a great sense of humor :tease: . BTW, did he count his peas before dinner every night??? Somehow I think that between you, MB, and me we will have a rather "humble" Walter at Wreckmania II... I just can't wait!

Wally? I would never call him Wally. I did have him named before he was born though and his name wasn't Walter. We can discuss that over some beer if I get to go. I think I will, but I still need to check on a few things before I commit completely. By the way, I passed the phone test!!!

Thanks Natasha, I enjoyed the conversation.

I am compulsive, but not nearly as bad as I'd be if I didn't try to keep it in check. As for humbling me, give it your best shot. I need a little reality check now and then.

DennisW once bubbled...
did have him named before he was born though and his name wasn't Walter. We can discuss that over some beer if I get to go.

Ooooh!! Embarrassing childhood stories of Walter for the cost of a beer??? Count me in!!!

You know that I am on "your side"... and I like the compulsive thing. Especially when it comes to diving! :tease: But getting to hear about you growing up... we might want to take up a collection for this.

Spectre once bubbled...

Ooooh!! Embarrassing childhood stories of Walter for the cost of a beer??? Count me in!!!

A beer? Hell, put me down for a case! :D

And don't anyone worry about the phone test. If I can pass it, anyone can.

Marc the manly meat quiche eater :jester:

Dennis,
I had a '83 Turbo Arrow one time. To make a long story short, I wound up doing a TOH on it. The guys at the FBO talked me into a chome top and I've always regretted it. Sadly, I experienced the same thing you are dealing with now. It always used oil at a higher rate (and ran hotter) than I was comfortable with, but not quite enough for the engine manafacturer to fix the thing. I was never really at ease` with it after the TOH. I sold it before sinking any more money into the motor. BTW, I fully informed the new owner of my concerns. If I ever have another plane, and have to replace the cylinders, I'll replace them with regular steel lined jugs.That old adage is true, the happiest day in the life of a aircraft owner is the day he stands on the tarmac and waves goodbye to the new owner. At least it was for me. :tree: Bob

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom