Wrist Computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There is indeed a confusing array of computers out there.

Spend a little bit of time familiarizing yourself with the different decompression models. You can spend weeks and even years reading about the details of all of the different models, so don't "dive in" too deeply.

Then decide which decompression model you want to believe. This will narrow your search to those computers which use that decompression algorithm. For instance, Suunto computers use the Reduced Gradient Bubble Model. You will probably have to refer to the manufacturer's websites for decompression algorithms.

From there, you can purchase a simple, inexpensive computer that meets your needs. I recommend that you get a computer that works with Air and Nitrox.

You don't need a multi-gas computer that switches between decompression gasses, trimix, etc. Just get a simple computer that will allow you to use air and a single Nitrox gas. (Most simple computers have air/Nitrox capabilities anyway.)

Some might say this you don't need to know the algorithm of your computer. But I feel that if I am trusting my health and safety to a theory, then I should understand the basic assumptions of that theory. Afterall, the theory and algorithm define your bottom time and ascent profile.

Spend a little bit of time familiarizing yourself with the different decompression models. You can spend weeks and even years reading about the details of all of the different models, so don't "dive in" too deeply.

Then decide which decompression model you want to believe. This will narrow your search to those computers which use that decompression algorithm. For instance, Suunto computers use the Reduced Gradient Bubble Model. You will probably have to refer to the manufacturer's websites for decompression algorithms.

From there, you can purchase a simple, inexpensive computer that meets your needs. I recommend that you get a computer that works with Air and Nitrox.

You don't need a multi-gas computer that switches between decompression gasses, trimix, etc. Just get a simple computer that will allow you to use air and a single Nitrox gas. (Most simple computers have air/Nitrox capabilities anyway.)

Some might say this you don't need to know the algorithm of your computer. But I feel that if I am trusting my health and safety to a theory, then I should understand the basic assumptions of that theory. Afterall, the theory and algorithm define your bottom time and ascent profile.

Good advice, but it can be tricky to assimiliate all that information. There is a one-stop option for getting knowledgeble quickly about how the algorythms work...

... get Mark Powell's 'Deco for Divers'.

51JI9d45e9L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Have a look at the Oceanic Veo 2.0. Good size and easy to use two-button computer. Making a big assumption from your location, you might be a "cold" water diver. Make sure you can easily manipulate the computers you are contemplating while wearing your gloves of choice.

My wife has a Geo that I will use as a back-up when she is not diving with me. It is very difficult for me to manipulate the four side buttons with my dry gloves on. It's terrific with bare fingers though.

Bill

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom