Wrist mounted Computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rice

Reaction score
I'm narrowing in on a new computer.

I want a wrist mounted, nitrox capable and preferably RGBM computer. I'm not really interseted in the new air integrated wireless computers.

I've had a couple Oceanic computers, I'm not very impressed with thier algorithim (based on dives to 90 feet)

I think I want a Vyper, I'd like a Stinger but I don't (right now) see a great reason to spend that much more money.

However the Mares RGBM looks pretty nice, but I've been unimpressed with mares business practices like discontinuing replacement parts for old regulators. not very cool.

I'm a recreational diver, I don't frequentley dive deeper than 110, I might in the future though. I do some spearfishing and need a computer I can trust when I'm not always paying the greatest attention to my gauges.

Basically, I'm wondering if there is a newer computer than the Vyper out there that I should be considering.

Thanks,
Rice

I have a Vyper and I love it except for one thing... constant ascent rates. It holds me to 30'/min at 20' and at 120'. If you violate it for too long, it really penalizes you on your bottom time. Also the temp on it is way off but that isn't so much of a big deal (if it's cold, it's cold, I don't care if it's 53 or 58).

The constant ascent rate could be a good thing.
Although the rate of pressure change is faster near the surface, the at-depth ascent needs to be slow as well, because if you get too much bubbling at depth due to a fast ascent, then they will expand and hinder circulation, thereby increasing the risk of DCS.

If you haven't already bought one as i have seen this thread a little late, the Aladin pro ultra is what i use and is a great piece of kit.

I have the new Mares M1 rgbm(wrist mounted). It is not air intergtrated, but I love it. For the money you can't beat it. After diving I come home and download to the pc. I still keep my naui log, because it is more detailed, but the m1 does a complete profile. Every 20 seconds it reads current conditions. You can have it graphed as well as time interval charted. I think you would be really pleased with it. :)

paulwlee once bubbled...
The constant ascent rate could be a good thing.
Although the rate of pressure change is faster near the surface, the at-depth ascent needs to be slow as well, because if you get too much bubbling at depth due to a fast ascent, then they will expand and hinder circulation, thereby increasing the risk of DCS.

According to BRW and his RGBM deco tables, a constant ascent rate of 33 fpm is appropriate at all depths, no exceptions.

You are right about that.

I have a Suunto Solution Nitrox (I bought it the 1st year it came out) and have been very happy with it, I also have a OMS Nitrox computer, it is the same as the Nitek, I have just bought the Delt P VR3 10 gas Open Circuit Trimix. I haven't got a chance to use the VR3 yet.

If you want a good Nitrox Computer I would strongly recomend the Suunto.

Back
Top Bottom