WTF scubastore.com?!?!?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Oh, it's quite simple. You see...

Wait a second, HTF would anyone here know?

:shocked2:

Errr, because other people might have had the same issue and can comment on what is happening?? Seems fairly obvious to me.

And in fact I can. A number of people have also had problems that I know and it is because they are no longer shipping some products outside of Europe (Kern has covered this well).

So-if I live in Europe, buy a scubapro item, travel to the US on vacation and find that I need it serviced (I know, very unlikely) will the warrenty be honored or do I have to go back to Europe for that?

Probably, since you would be dealing with an LDS. But the same situation would occur when you take your gear outside the Scubapro USA area or even to another retailer other than the one you purchased from. For that matter, there is probably nothing other than "good service practices" that obligates the LDS you purchased from to honor the warranty

I mentioned this one the diveoz forum, but I had the same experience as the OP.

I had an order placed with these clowns (Scubastore) that consisted of a Suunto computer, Apeks bag, Aqualung bag, and Aqualung mask.

I placed that order on the 17th of february and after being repeatedly told that the Suunto dive computer still hadn't arrived and the last time it was supposed to arrive on the 15th of March. I finally emailed them today to ask the status of the order as I hadn't heard from them. Now they have said they have cancelled my order as they don't ship those products to Australia anymore.

A little bit annoying as they could have shipped the rest of the stuff before their dodgy dealings with Aqualung etc regarding overseas shipments stopped them from shipping the whole lot to me. :angrymob:

Anyway, they just lost business from me as I won't buy anything from them anymore. I was a happy previous customer of theirs before this (purchased a bunch of Apeks regs etc).

It is price fixing, and they do it in the US because they can. They can't get away with it in Europe. However, if you buy something from a European company, ScubaPro won't honor the warranty in the US - you would have to send it back to Europe for repairs. I have had a love-hate relationship with ScubaPro for years over their policies. I love their regulators and BCD's, but I won't pay their anti-competitive prices. So I buy from Leisure Pro, and accept the fact that I don't get the ScubaPro lifetime warranty. But that warranty is not worth as much as you might think anyway. I have a MKV reg that I bought from a ScubaPro dealer about 40 years ago. I lost the warranty card years ago, and I can't even get the second stage serviced any more - even if I pay for it!

I go to an authorized dealer that will price match Leisure Pro, which is very nice. What it comes down to, is that they are trying to prevent a Travelocity effect on their product, where their profit margins get thinner. It is certainly anti-consumer. But it is not price-fixing. For it to be, Scubapro would need to be colluding with all dive shops, as well as competitors, to set a floor for prices on goods (thus creating a cartel) which is by definition what price fixing is.

What they are doing is attempting to keep prices artifically high by creating information asymmetries, it is hard to shop around with Scubapro because of these policies. Perfectly competitive markets include perfect information (ie you would know MSRP, what the cost of the item for the shop is, etc. and they would know everything including your willingness to pay). If either side can create an information asymmetry in their favor, they can come out ahead in negotiations.

Use Leisure Pro as a guide, and go in and be a tough bargainer with your LDS. If they won't come down on the price directly, ask for things to be thrown in for free. I mean, when I bought my Atomic regulator I went in, it was on sale and being demoed, I nodded and smiled as they told me about the 20%, etc. I tried it, I loved it, and I went in to business mode, as they made me their offer, I ignored it completely and told them in no uncertain terms what I would be getting it for. After some time discussing it with the shop owner and the Atomic rep, they came back and said, "OK, fine." It helped that I already had a positive relationship with them, but be a shark in your negotiations, and ALWAYS be ready to walk away.

My grandmother is one of the best negotiators I know, and can do it in places I would never even think to try to haggle. I mean, she haggles at the damn liquor store. And gets discounts as a result. I am not making that up. Point is, be a tough negotiator, and you can pay lower prices. Don't let that "We aren't allowed to sell below a certain price" line throw you. You have several avenues, even if you are negotiating for a price protected product. I plan to buy a Scubapro SeaHawk BC. I have already called a couple of dealers to find the MSRP, and what they are planning to sell it at. I have a primary plan and a couple of alternate plans to get a good deal on this thing. If they all fail at shop A, I will go to B and C.

Don't get me wrong, I agree that this is a policy that is all about protecting profit margins at the expense of consumer surplus. It would be nice if you didn't have to do this, but that's just how it is with Scubapro. I love their gear, always have, and will go the extra mile to get it. If you want to buy online, you just have to go with a different brand, sadly.

It is my understanding that banning internet sales and such is illegal in the EU, so Aqualung and Scubapro must allow those sales or choose not to sell there. Another poster already mentioned this. The problem is with their website. If you go in through their homepage it picks up that your IP address is US and does not show Scubapro or Aqualung products and prices products in dollars. If you Google something on their site you go directly to the product and bypass the coding the hides these products and can see them in dollars and place an order. I don't think they are being unethical they just need to adjust their website which I am sure is both expensive and complicated.

It is my understanding that banning internet sales and such is illegal in the EU, so Aqualung and Scubapro must allow those sales or choose not to sell there. Another poster already mentioned this. The problem is with their website. If you go in through their homepage it picks up that your IP address is US and does not show Scubapro or Aqualung products and prices products in dollars. If you Google something on their site you go directly to the product and bypass the coding the hides these products and can see them in dollars and place an order. I don't think they are being unethical they just need to adjust their website which I am sure is both expensive and complicated.

The only EU law regarding this that I am familiar with (I am not a lawyer over there, so take this with a grain of salt) is the exact opposite, there is draft legislation that would allow suppliers to require retailers to have a brick and mortar store.

Reuters: eBay urges rethink on EU's Internet sales plan

Now, this does mention that this would replace current strict competition laws that are set to soon expire, so it may be that these laws, which I am not familiar with, include the provision that you are referring to.

I have used lucas, great service and they do send outside of Europe. Their warrenty also states that the warrenty provided is usable outside of the US for a period of two years via an authorised Scubapro dealer. I didn't believe him until i checked out the website.
Warranty information - SCUBAPRO-UWATEC

if you were looking for apeks, subprof.com ships worldwide.

Does scubapro have authorized us dealers on the internet?

I mean I have heard that leisure pro isn't which is why I went with scubatore because it says they are.

Leisurepro is not an authorized dealer for Uwatec anywhere.

SCUBAStore is an authorized dealer for Uwatec. For Spain. Not for the US. They can't sell to you.

If they are going to nitpick about a warranty like that maybe I am better off with some other dive computer.
From your end, it's a warranty problem. From their end it means that if they sell to too many US customers, they could be canceled and not be able to sell Uwatec to anybody.

In any case, the technology has nothing to do with the marketing policies.

If you would be happy underwater with whatever you were looking at, buy it from someplace that's allowed to sell it to you. If not, find something else.

Terry

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom