XT regulator schematic

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kathleen,

This only applies to the new XT regs and not the now older 3100 series? In other words, I'll still be able to purchase the 3100 reg rebuild kit myself, correct?

If you re-read the post, it says that parts are still available for the xt, just not a public manual. As a side note, what is your tale on the xt reg.

+1 for the repair/service classes

I have no problem taking a repair/service class before receiving the XT Manual. But the class needs to be available to the consumer and not just authorized retailers.

What's the current status of these classes for the consumer? There doesn't seem to be any information about it.

Well it's been over a year now and nothing. I would say Dive Rite has stopped listening to it's customers.

I was just thinking about getting a Dive Rite XT reg and checked about parts availability.

Today I just got an email from a major Dive Rite retailer (Dive Gear Express) stating that:

"We have checked again with Dive Rite, they are not making service kits for their new XT model available for resale."

Sad to see this. Hope they continue to provide service kits for older regs. I have a couple of older Dive Rite Regs I use on deco bottles and the ONLY reason I bought those was because they had service kits freely available.

I really like Dive Gear Express, have bought a lot of dive gear from them over the years, and would highly recommend them, and will buy gear from in the future, but I will not buy a reg from any place I can't get service kits.

Looks like HOG is the way to go for that type of regulator. I have a couple of HOG regs and they seem equivalent to Dive Rite.

Zeagle also seems to still provide service kits - and their regs (particularly the first stages) are really excellent. Apeks also if you buy from Germany - their consumer laws require parts to be made available - although Apeks parts are usually easily available from Ebay and elsewhere.

I can not understand Dive Rite's concerns about liability if that is the reason they are not seeliing kits for these regs, especially when you consider that they also market a rebreather. In my opinion, as a rebreather diver, maintainence issues with any rebreather makes concerns about servicing your own regulators seem insignificent.

I was just thinking about getting a Dive Rite XT reg and checked about parts availability.

Today I just got an email from a major Dive Rite retailer (Dive Gear Express) stating that:

"We have checked again with Dive Rite, they are not making service kits for their new XT model available for resale."

Sad to see this. Hope they continue to provide service kits for older regs. I have a couple of older Dive Rite Regs I use on deco bottles and the ONLY reason I bought those was because they had service kits freely available.

I really like Dive Gear Express, have bought a lot of dive gear from them over the years, and would highly recommend them, and will buy gear from in the future, but I will not buy a reg from any place I can't get service kits.

Looks like HOG is the way to go for that type of regulator. I have a couple of HOG regs and they seem equivalent to Dive Rite.

Zeagle also seems to still provide service kits - and their regs (particularly the first stages) are really excellent. Apeks also if you buy from Germany - their consumer laws require parts to be made available - although Apeks parts are usually easily available from Ebay and elsewhere.

I can not understand Dive Rite's concerns about liability if that is the reason they are not seeliing kits for these regs, especially when you consider that they also market a rebreather. In my opinion, as a rebreather diver, maintainence issues with any rebreather makes concerns about servicing your own regulators seem insignificent.

And the fact they are still selling parts kits for previous models. I don't understand the liability concerns about the XT but not the others. I would have thought it was all or nothing.

And the fact they are still selling parts kits for previous models. I don't understand the liability concerns about the XT but not the others. I would have thought it was all or nothing.

It is a bummer. I have a hunch that Liability=Pressure from disgruntled LDS.
The part about the bad self service is probably true in some cases, but I have had bad service from several LDS, several times, inexcusable type stuff, not minor stuff.
Parts and no manual, hmmm, so I've got these parts but no torque specs or anything, what the heck, I'll just give a a shot and go diving, I think I can figure it out, I think...

Not bashing, just voicing. You shouldn't complain about the President if you didn't vote. So I'm just casting my vote. I actually passed on trying the XT seconds to replace my 3100s due to this. I won't say what I bought.

Long live Frogkick

It is a bummer. I have a hunch that Liability=Pressure from disgruntled LDS.
The part about the bad self service is probably true in some cases, but I have had bad service from several LDS, several times, inexcusable type stuff, not minor stuff.
Parts and no manual, hmmm, so I've got these parts but no torque specs or anything, what the heck, I'll just give a a shot and go diving, I think I can figure it out, I think...

Not bashing, just voicing. You shouldn't complain about the President if you didn't vote. So I'm just casting my vote. I actually passed on trying the XT seconds to replace my 3100s due to this. I won't say what I bought.

Long live Frogkick

But I bet it starts with "H" and ends in "G"...

LOL, maybe, but I will never tell :wink:

And for the record, I really like Dive Rite overall and have owned three of their wings, two backplates, nomad, primary light, fins, blah blah, all of which I was/am happy with, service is always great, and they are a great home grown company churning out at least some US made gear. And if I wasn't such a hardcore hater of the current industry stance on self service (with a strong feeling that it is not the liability that is the issue) I would have tried the XTs out as a potential upgrade. They made their choice and have their reasons, have to respect that.

To be fair, even if you go the other brand you can't just go to the site an download the manual without taking a service class first (or that is the way it's supposed to be anyway). But, at least that option exists and so do the parts.

Would I buy DR gear other than the new regulators? Yes.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom