Yoga for diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

catherine96821:
You should try the making your hamstrings "longer" and see if it goes away.
interesting, will look into it

I know it might be silly question though.

How much & long of yoga practice can really help the diving?

I am sure people know better than I..but I will try.

developing a sense of complete exhalation, and deeper, slower, relaxed breathing will optimize your dead space / air exchange ratio. The biofeedback of feeling your optimal breath becomes "known" or intuitive.

Certain stretches will open joints by counterbending to increase flexibility...this of course helps everything from reaching valves to preventing aches from carrying tanks.

Mindfulness has helped me get off of negative thinking cycles while diving. Controlling your mind by practicing taming what we call "monkey brain" makes focusing easier for me. I have an issue with some attention issues at times...so of course this discipline helps.

Also, being able to have "emptiness" mentally, or at least cycle from attentiveness to being open to the environment and any signals it may be sending is very helpful.

I think most people start to feel a pay-off after around two weeks of almost daily practice.

Just saw a post on how to embed a YouTube video and had to try it. I saw this one awhile back and it totally cracked me up.

Yoga has transformed my diving as well as solving the "aches & pains" of frequent travel on planes and long car trips.

I practice Power Yoga (also known as Astanga Yoga or Vinyasa Yoga) at least several times per week. This style of Yoga is very physical, with the postures linked to the breathing and flowing from one to the next. It is also good for improving strength and endurance as well as the more obvious flexibility and relaxation.

The SCUBA benefits, in addition to improved SAC rate and buoyancy control, include:
Ability to reach valves to turn gas on/off or do valve drills
Better frog kicks due to hip flexibility and leg strength
Easily don and doff fins, especially while standing on one leg while wearing doubles and stage bottles
Ability to stop a leg cramp just by consciously relaxing that muscle.

To get the most out of Power Yoga it needs to be practiced almost daily, but a single session can be as short as 10 minutes of Sun Salutations, with an average practice taking about 30 minutes, and a full practice including the entire Primary Series of postures taking a little over an hour.

For more info, check out http://www.power-yoga.com/ or visit your local Yoga studios.

theskull

theskull

For those asking about a specific series of postures....all I can tell you is that it depends on what's going on specifically in your body; how your architecture is and how you carry yourself around the planet. Go try a few classes and see what works for you - and beware of anything that is prescriptave. Everyone is different, one size does not fit all and yoga is NOT an all-you-can-eat buffett - a little can go a long way if you have skilled guidance.

Is there any good reference for the Sun Salutations?

solving the "aches & pains" of frequent travel on planes and long car trips.

me too! Now..I can sleep on the plane and before I just got all achey and not able to get comfortable.

I had a chiropractor once tell me "Remember youth equals flexibility" I thought it was an odd thing to say at the time, but now i kinda get it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom