Your Dive CPU is? And Why?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My dive CPU is stored neatly behind my ears. For data collection and analysis I use a Suunto Mosquito. It's a reliable device that gives me all the features I want, yet is compact enough to wear full time, so there's no reason to take it off and risk leaving it on a boat.

I'm not a fan of digital gauges, or trusting my air supply to anything complex or electrical, so I retain my analog console for air, depth and compass. Mechanical gauges don't create the illusion of super accuracy, but they're responsive, consistant and reliable workhorses.

Sigh, I was born with mine. It's an ancient version with a very slow processing speed and very little RAM (it was VERY expensive back then).

Oh, you mean my dive computer... Dive Rite Nitek Duo and Uwatec Tec 2G.

Suunto Gekko - inexpensive, nitrox. Doesn't have gauge mode, but I guess if I decide I really need a computer with gauge mode I'll start looking for new computers.

Oceanic Atom 2.0 - Started with a 1.0 and had some issues, 2.0 seems OK. Never researched, I thought it was a cool watch/DC so I needed the techy thing. Still like it but I also dive a Nitek He and use it for all my real calculations. I like the Diverite Nitek's Algorithm. It seems better suited for repeat diving and is more conservative. The Oceanic gives more bottom. I can go into Deco on the Nitek and still have 4 minutes left on the Oceanic. The Nitek was acquired as part of a deal so it was cheap in comparison to paying retail. I am not sure I would have paid the cash for it otherwise.

Now for the real Computer, Tables or v-Planner and my head. I try to use a dive plan and the Puter as a backup, especially on any dive that may even slightly approach pushing the limits. Often on shallow reef dives I don't always follow a perfect plan but I always have a long talk with my buddies on what we will do, how we will do it and contingencies. Yes, even on simple dives. I also plan out my gas on every dive as a habit just to be fresh. I make sure I know at any time how much gas I have available. Sorry for the preaching

Computers are great today, they can even predict with some accuracy your air consumption but don't get fooled into a false sense of security.

It is awesome you are asking about questions and getting ideas before buying.

I knew nothing about dive computers when I enrolled into class. I reaserched best i could and came up with Sherwood Wisdom and Suunto Cobra 2. My reason was being new I wanted something to take care of a newbie such as myself even though we are not to trust anything but our minds as divers. Easy to use and understand yet conservative. My LDS didn't push me into a computer at all. They showed me all the SPG and pressure gauges and allowed me to make my own choice. I chose the Suunto for the ease of use, being It was a newer version and It seemed to be the choice among divers I talked to. I was glad I chose the Cobra 2. I then went and bought a Suunto Gekko. I dive with people using mostly suunto so they helped me alot with operating, reading and programing. Honestly it was very easy to do. I never looked at price since I figure there is no price on safety or my life. We all have a budget and suunto is comparable in price as most CPU's. Again it was comfort, ease of use and conservative that made me chose my CPU. I won't say it is better than anyother CPU, because I have never used anyother. I will say I won't replace it with another brand. I know divers that use other brands and like them too. I am happy with my Cobra 2 and Gekko and as I upgrade I will continue to use Suunto products. My reason for buying them, I felt it's what bwas best for me all around.

I researched...and researched...and researched. I came to two conclusions, one of which I actually bought. The decision came down to either the Uwatec Galileo Sol or the Oceanic Atom 2.0/VT3 (the atom and VT3 are essentially the same thing). I went with the Atom 2.0 because if was relatively compact, hoseless with wireless air integrated technology, I can monitor my buddy's air (very important to me), it acts as a digital watch, has air/nitrox/gauge/free dive modes, turn-around pressure alarm, a fairly liberal computer algorithm that is fully adjustable, diver replaceable batteries, etc. Not to mention I bought it during a week my LDS was having the ultimate sale in which I got it for 40% off. Oh, and Oceanic has the best customer support of any other company out there. I also like the fact that I don't have to take it off while on vacation. When I get the funds, I will get the Galileo Sol.

I dive a Suunto Vytec DS with transmitter. It freaking rocks. Does everything i need it to do, and has room for me to expand into Tech when i feel the time is right. No problems with it to date.

I have a Oceanic VT3 and an Atom 2.0. I started with the VT3 after a researching wireless AI computers. I found that users of the latest crop of Oceanic's reviewed them as being highly reliable and Oceanic as a company that is highly responsive to it's customers.
The VT3 and the Atom 2.0 are both nitrox computers that can monitor 3 bottles or a buddy's bottle. Also each has user replaceable batteries. When my wife became a diver I gave her my VT3 as I came across a sweet deal on a used Atom 1.0 and then had it upgraded to and Atom 2.0. As stated by others as a PDC the Atom 2.0 and the VT3 are functional the same with the Atom having the addition watch functions.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom