Your Dive CPU is? And Why?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I dive a Suunto Vytec DS with transmitter. It freaking rocks. Does everything i need it to do, and has room for me to expand into Tech when i feel the time is right. No problems with it to date.

I use the Suunto Vytec DS also without the transmitter. I prefer to use my SPG for monitoring my tank.

The Vytec is easy to use and set up. The display is large and easy to read. It allows for multiple gas and also had a gauge mode. I just purchased a bungie mount (wrist) from Deep Sea Supply

Sean

Last edited:
I use the Suunto Gekko. I know the brand from other sports and they've always performed well. I like the easy-to-read display and the luminescent feature for night diving.

After much research, I chose the Aeris Atmos Elite for the following reasons:

Positive reviews
Wrist mount hoseless air integrated
User replaceable batteries
Nitrox
PC downloadable
Price

Interesting how so many people have "done all the research" and come to different conclusions. :wink: So did I. One conclusion was that essentially all computers do what they are supposed to do, so the decision is based on personal choice rather than safety issues. I also came to the conclusion that a "conservative" computer is not a "better" computer, considering that all computers do what they are supposed to do.

In my case, price was an issue. Went with an Oceanic Veo200, but found out just before buying that the Veo250 had come out and was a better buy. Has all the features I need/want, plus some I don't. Was available at the LDS and I could get it as part of a gear package (consisting of items by 3 other manufacturers) for about 30% off.

I also came to the conclusion that a "conservative" computer is not a "better" computer, considering that all computers do what they are supposed to do.

Most good modern computers can be adjusted to be more or less conservative as I understand it. Could you explain why you concluded a computer with a conservative stock setting is not better?

For what it's worth, I dive a Suunto Vyper and I feel it's conservative stock setting is one of it's best qualities, along with the fact that I don't have to push any buttons for it to come on and the numbers are easily read and understood.

I use an Atom 2.0. I like it because it's wireless (wrist mount), air integrated, nitrox-compatible, can extract dive profiles to the computer, and because the screen is not big and bulky (a complaint for many, but definitely something I see as a positive).

I'm still learning how to use it, and getting used to all the features, but I like it so far. My only complaint (well, my hubby's complaint actually as I haven't gotten a low-air warning....he's a hoover!) is that the warning beeps are not very loud.

I use a Wisdom and love it. Although I will switch to a wrist mount as I progress into tech, the wisdom was perfect for recreational diving.

I clip it to a d-ring next to my chest and it is just a glance away. The batteries are user replaceable and the company is long established with a rep for durable goods.

I was recommended this computer by my shop, but don't feel like I was pushed into it.

next up? Maybe the Nitek X, if it ever comes out. But of course I will have to do my research first.

I am tired of reading reviews and researching for dive CPU's.

What do you use and why? Was it because that is what the LDS had or did you research it out?

Thanks, Joe
I use my brain. You can't buy one at an LDS, but you can assemble one with unskilled labor and you never have to change the batteries.

Last edited:
Like Spectrum, we have his & hers Aeris Atmos IIs. Very happy with them. Basic, reliable, EAN capable. Audible displays and color-coded alarms ('specially when you're narc'd). However, I believe they've since been replaced with the air-integrated Elite T3, and Atmos ai (wireless, non-wireless, respectively). Air integration is the one feature I couldn't care less about. I'll always carry an SPG.

However, if I were to upgrade today (and I'm trying -- I smash my Atmos against everything in sight... the darn thing won't break), I'd be dead set on the Galileo Sol. It has a remarkable level of customization, large, easy-to-read dot matrix, and it's very logically set up. Only problem is, it's $1,500...

Most good modern computers can be adjusted to be more or less conservative as I understand it. Could you explain why you concluded a computer with a conservative stock setting is not better?

I'll take a shot at it. I wouldn't say a conservative computer is more or less better, but generally speaking, you can make a computer with a more liberal algorithm more conservative but you typically can't make a conservative computer more liberal. Keywords are 'generally speaking' and 'typically'. That's why I'm not very fond of the Suunto line. Not saying they aren't great computers, just not my preference. I like to take control of my dives rather than them be controlled by my computer.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom