Zeagle Express Tech opinions please

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just bought a Zeagle ETD last night, as I did not want to travel to Cozumel with my Zeagle Ranger. The ETD is ready to dive out of the box, though I added 4 D-Rings to my Rig. Last night I removed the Back padding and shoulder pads. I will determine what I remove or put back on after I dive it later this week. I do like the fit, and may use it over the Ranger in most cases.
So you are going to use a ET, that i can get for $150, over an $800 Ranger? You think that highly of it?

The older style has no quick release buckles just straight shoulder straps. The ET is a soft back plate and wing. I do like the Zeagle Zip Touch quick release system and a crotch strap addition.

I've decided I'm going to order an ET, and a crotch strap (probably a Dive Rite strap.). Does the width of the strap matter? I was thinking I'll get a 1.5" as it doesn't cost much more than the 1" but a lot less than the 2".

Also, the cheapest ET I've seen looks like it comes with a 44lb bladder but not sure if that's going to be a bit OTT for warm water diving, esp as my wife will be using it too (Im around 95kg (210lb) and my wife's around 54kg (119lb). I may do some colder water dives in UK / Europe in 7mm wet suit but unlikely to get dry suit cert.
Other shops are doing the 24lb bladder, would that be more suitable?

I really didn't care for the deluxe harness mine came with. I bought the basic harness but it shipped as a deluxe. I replaced it with 2 pieces of webbing and reused the extra hardware where I could. Much better. Didn't need the quick releases since the shoulders loosen up when you unbuckle the waist. Picked up a pair of the zip touch pockets off ebay. I do a lot of shore diving and don't need the back & shoulder pads. I got the DRIS webbing and it's plenty soft. Mine rubbed a bit on my sides, under my arms, so I added a yak grip, www.yakpads.com/yakgrip (perfect for 2 inch webbing), on each side just for my own comfort. Also added the saddle strap off my wife's Stiletto for a crotch strap. I positioned my left & right waist d-rings slightly forward and tied off the disconnects for the saddle strap. That waist d-ring position also gives my shoulders a bit more slack for donning & doffing. Added a couple of the big plastic weight keepers (triglides) behind the lower plate loops so you can't over tighten the waist buckle and pull the plate up your back under water. Even added a chest strap between two chest d-rings. I know it sounds like a lot of stuff, but that's kind of the fun of the system. It can be really simple or you can customize how ever you like for your own comfort. I've tried lots of stuff with it. Kept some ideas and discarded others. Really easy to adjust for different size people by snugging or loosening the waist strap. The most you would have to do is move a couple triglides/d-rings if you even had to do that. YMMV.

Last edited:
Unless you plan to be using a scooter then either 1" or 1 1/2" will work. I have a 24lb and 35lb wing both work well it depends on how much lead you use and what protection suit you wear. I have to admit my ET is loaded with D-rings and other tech type things. So I dive the 35lb wing usually. I have consider buying the components and building another as the wings are really the expensive part..

Unless you plan to be using a scooter then either 1" or 1 1/2" will work. I have a 24lb and 35lb wing both work well it depends on how much lead you use and what protection suit you wear. I have to admit my ET is loaded with D-rings and other tech type things. So I dive the 35lb wing usually. I have consider buying the components and building another as the wings are really the expensive part..

I dive 4kg (8.8lb) and my wife 3kg (6.6lb). I dive in a rash guard when I can, but 3mm shortie otherwise. Thinking larger wing maybe good if I do colder water dives but likely to be very occasional. Don't plan on adding much, a couple of D-rings and weight pockets.
Would prefer to get the 35lb wing but can only find the ET with either 24 or 44lb. Don't really want to buy another wing, at this point anyway.

So you are going to use a ET, that i can get for $150, over an $800 Ranger? You think that highly of it

Lets say this, I have not dove in the ET yet, so I could be wrong, though I will be in the water with it by Friday. My Ranger was my first BCD, I think it was a great BCD to start my diving experience on. Mentally, we are all nervous divers at the beginning, I believe the Ranger was the better choice at the beginning.

Today though, being a much more confidant and knowledgeable diver, the ET will fill my needs just fine. You can change the bladder on it if you want more lift, and accessories I have on my Ranger fit the ET too, its a Zeagle, make it yours. Basically your shop can do almost anything you can think of to it. Zeagle has Loads of accessories not in the catalog, want a donut, done, side pockets, done, etc etc.

I am not going to sling side mounts or run Doubles on the ET, but that's not what it is designed for.

As for quality, It is still a Zeagle Product and Very well made. I bought my ET in Zephyrhills, former home of Zeagle. Yes, Zeagle closed up their and moved to Salt Lake City, Utah, but the Shop owner does not see a quality difference

Last edited:
@UFOrb I would think the 24lb would do the trick. You will need to learn to lay back onto the wing when you are waiting for a boat. It appear you are going to be diving in pretty warm water most of the time. Some divers here go with 18lb lift on their BPW and do it well. If you are 4kg in salt water you will have no problem with 24lb lift.

I just bought a Zeagle ETD last night, as I did not want to travel to Cozumel with my Zeagle Ranger. The ETD is ready to dive out of the box, though I added 4 D-Rings to my Rig. Last night I removed the Back padding and shoulder pads. I will determine what I remove or put back on after I dive it later this week. I do like the fit, and may use it over the Ranger in most cases.
So if you removed the back padding and shoulder pads would that change it from an ETD to an ET?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom