Zeagle Express Tech opinions please

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So if you removed the back padding and shoulder pads would that change it from an ETD to an ET?

My understanding is the ET Deluxe is the basic ET with the deluxe articulated harness with quick releases. The pad kits & weight pockets are add-ons. A third party (LDS, Leisure Pro, etc.) may add those on and sell them as a package. A basic ET, which I don't think is in production anymore, has a harness made of just two pieces of webbing with some hardware. Here's a link to the ET Deluxe on the Zeagle website. www.zeagle.com/products-repository/rec-tec-diver/products/express-tech-deluxe

Here's a link to a basic ET at Northeast Scuba Supply. Don't know if you can still buy it. www.northeastscubasupply.com/zeagle-express-tech/

Last edited:
So if you removed the back padding and shoulder pads would that change it from an ETD to an ET?
very close Yes. ETD also has quick release connector's on the harness. The weight pockets are optional though I picked them up, I may used the old ones from my Ranger now. If money is huge issue, you can save$100 not getting everything. I planning on doing alot of warm water 6 tank dives this summer, so I am keeping the pads just in case. My tender shoulders may appreciate it after 8 hours in the water.

Unless you plan to be using a scooter then either 1" or 1 1/2" will work. I have a 24lb and 35lb wing both work well it depends on how much lead you use and what protection suit you wear. ....

Wing size is NOT a function of how much lead you use. Wing is there to compensate for thing that change in buoyancy. In most case, they are the exposure suit and tank size (the weight of the gas you at carrying)

As for crotch strap, since you are buying new, just go with 2" and call it done or future proof, why not.

I dive 4kg (8.8lb) and my wife 3kg (6.6lb). I dive in a rash guard when I can, but 3mm shortie otherwise. Thinking larger wing maybe good if I do colder water dives but likely to be very occasional. Don't plan on adding much, a couple of D-rings and weight pockets.
Would prefer to get the 35lb wing but can only find the ET with either 24 or 44lb. Don't really want to buy another wing, at this point anyway.

For diving with shorty and 3mm, 24lb wing will be sufficient. If you do plan to dive colder water as well, say 7mm or more, than you will need more. If you want one wing that does it all, get something like 30lb. They are still small and streamline and enough for most colder water dive. I am not sure if ET soft plate will be compatible with standard wing mounting mechanism, if so, you can get DRIS 28lb, Oxycheq 30lb .. just two examples. They are good all purpose wings

Last edited:
Wing size is NOT a function of how much lead you use. Wing is there to compensate for thing that change in buoyancy. In most case, they are the exposure suit and tank size (the weight of the gas you at carrying)

For diving with shorty and 3mm, 24lb wing will be sufficient. If you do plan to dive colder water as well, say 7mm or more, than you will need more. If you want one wing that does it all, get something like 30lb. They are still small and streamline and enough for most colder water dive. I am not sure if ET soft plate will be compatible with standard wing mounting mechanism, if so, you can get DRIS 28lb, Oxycheq 30lb .. just two examples. They are good all purpose wings

I do not see how the lbs of the wing would effect a positive buoyant piece of dive gear. Yes you may need more weight to go down using a 7mm, but this is offsetted by the 7mm wetsuit. According to the shop I bought my ET from. the 24lb wing should have no issues with my steel 120 tank, 3mm wetsuit and a 30cf pony bottle. Now throwing on double or side mounts is not going to happen, but that is not what this BC is designed for.

Thanks all, for your input & advice on this.

I've just ordered a Zeagle ET :D

It is actually the deluxe version with articulated harness with quick releases but wasn't labelled deluxe on the website. It seems you cant get the original non deluxe anymore. I added the shoulder pads as they might be nicer for shore entries (& the Mrs wanted them!) - I guess it's better to have them and not need them than the other way round. Didn't bother with the back pad. Also added a couple of Scubapro X-Tek trim weight pockets and a hose clip. I was advised by the store that a crotch strap wont be necessary for single tanks but can always get one later if necessary.

@eelnoraa Thanks! A 30lb wing would've been my preference but it comes with a 24lb wing and I'm happy with that as I bought it as a travel BC for warm water, single alu tank diving. If I do dive in colder waters occasionally where more lift is required then I'll just rent a BCD. If I really get into diving in UK then I could always get another wing later. I wouldn't really have time these days to dive frequently at home anyway though - perhaps when the kids are older!

Cheers!

According to the shop I bought my ET from. the 24lb wing should have no issues with my steel 120 tank, 3mm wetsuit and a 30cf pony bottle. Now throwing on double or side mounts is not going to happen, but that is not what this BC is designed for.

Actually, I was also told by the shop the 24lb wing should be fine for colder waters with a 7mm suit and single steel tank.

I use the Express Tech for my students. From HUUUUGE (like me) to small (like a teenage girl), these adjust easily. I don't use the fancy harness, just 2" straps. They just work. The only thing that really has to be adjusted is the crotch strap.

I use the Express Tech for my students. From HUUUUGE (like me) to small (like a teenage girl), these adjust easily. I don't use the fancy harness, just 2" straps. They just work. The only thing that really has to be adjusted is the crotch strap.

So you recommend a crotch strap for single tanks then?

Does the width of the strap matter?
I use a butt plate on my crotch strap, so a two inch strap is the only option for me.

I don't use the fancy harness, just 2" straps. They just work.

The 'deluxe' harness looks less straightforward to adjust, shame. I could always buy some webbing and use that if the deluxe becomes annoying.

Back
Top Bottom