Can't stop slow leak

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

guruboy

Divemaster
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
I have a Halcyon Eclipse wing where there is a slow leak from the connection where the inflator screws onto the wing.

I've been very careful about seating the gasket and making sure the inflator part fits into the octagon shape and screwed in tight without cross-threading.

Any suggestions? Do I need a new rubber gasket?

Take a close look at the plastic bits. I have had a T-nut crack, probably from over torqueing.

Is that the ring on the inflator hose that screws down?

it is the piece on the inside that the ring screws onto.

since that experience, i keep a spare assembly on hand.

Oh. Are those screw on seals?

Or maybe aqua seal then screw on?

Plastic bits all seem to be OK though.

try a very thin coat of silicone grease on the sealing surfaces?

Actually just did that. Cleaned all the surfaces and put a little lube. Waiting to see the result.

Silicone grease didn't solve it.

Seems the issue is the ring can't screw down tight enough. Too tight and it jump/pops the threads.

The leak is pretty slow though. Maybe a sigh's worth overnight. Curious to see if it stops leaking after it lets out a little pressure. (Only orally inflating it at this point)

I think people sometimes go overboard with the BC. I would be concerned if the integrity of fittings was compromised, but a tiny little, slow leak is not going to be noticeable when diving, maybe lose a puff of air in 40 minutes? You are dumping air during the dive anyway as the tank gets lighter.

If the fittings are good and it doesn't have a problem when you over inflate it and activate the OP relief valves, I'm not too worried if the BC goes from hard to kinda soft while being stored overnight.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom