Can't stop slow leak

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Silicone grease didn't solve it.

Seems the issue is the ring can't screw down tight enough. Too tight and it jump/pops the threads.

The leak is pretty slow though. Maybe a sigh's worth overnight. Curious to see if it stops leaking after it lets out a little pressure. (Only orally inflating it at this point)

jumping threads does not seem like a minor defect. Time for more serious troubleshooting. I suspect parts on the OPV are exchangable with the inflator connector.

yes, the pull dump. you should be able to start by swapping the two connected devices. then go from there to isolate the defective part(s).

You mean something like put two pull dumps on? Interesting idea.

I think people sometimes go overboard with the BC. I would be concerned if the integrity of fittings was compromised, but a tiny little, slow leak is not going to be noticeable when diving, maybe lose a puff of air in 40 minutes? You are dumping air during the dive anyway as the tank gets lighter.

If the fittings are good and it doesn't have a problem when you over inflate it and activate the OP relief valves, I'm not too worried if the BC goes from hard to kinda soft while being stored overnight.

I agree that it would probably be fine for diving. I'm just being picky since my other wings don't leak.

Be very careful about the fittings, I have seen catastrophic failures where the threaded fitting that is "welded" to the BC disintegrated with age and the whole piece fell off leaving a big hole. If the parts seem compromised, dive gear express sells replacement parts that might work. I wouldn't be glueing or using aquaseal.

I agree that it would probably be fine for diving. I'm just being picky since my other wings don't leak.

A small (for now) leak is perhaps a warning sign for a potential large leak at an especially awkward moment.

A potential solution: Call Halcyon and ask them. They may ask you to send it in. I think the wings have a lifetime warranty.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom