2009 SB Fitness Exercise Challenge!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Warmed up at home before going to the club:
Row 1k 4:33
Pullups (black band) 10 x 2 (nice slow pace as a shoulder stretch/warmup)

Tonight was more Olympic weightlifting skills goodness! Great workout tonight, and the upright back positioning is continuing to improve!

Overhead Squats 8 x 4

Back Squats 6 x 4

Snatch Foot work (rise up on toes, then drop into squat position with good upright posture) 10 x 3

Snatch Extensions (floor to explosive “shrugs”*) *not really a shrug but momentum imparted to the bar on the upward explosion 8 x 3

Romanian Deadlifts 6 x 5

Friday
Cycled 40 miles in 3hr10min

Was originally going to be an easy or "active rest" day, but I bought a new saddle for my bike and wanted to test it out.... got a bit carried away with my second longest ride of the year. Also, was able to help out an injured cyclist on the trail and assist until EMS arrived.

The rest of the story

Wow. What a ride! Yesterday was my rest day. I really think my body needed it. Today, I was back at the gym and as I was feeling in the 'groove' some crazy lady started causing me problems. Unfortunately it pulled me really far out of the groove; fortunately, however, that didn't happen until I was 45 minutes into my workout, which was fine.

Saturday 7/25 - 35 minutes on the treadmill. Approximately 380 calories and 1.85 miles. Followed by some time on the elliptical. I am estimating about 12 minutes because I was interrupted by above-referenced crazy lady and had to go speak with the Y management about it. Alas. I think I will do some pilates later after I get some work done.

Wow... crazy ladies... what was she doing?

Needed an easy active rest day Saturday after Friday's ride and still being sore from Thursday's lifting.

Bob: 1K Row
Penny: 2K Row

Didn't pay attention to the time (it's in the Rower's LogCard)... just rowed to warmup and stretch a bit.

Wow... crazy ladies... what was she doing?

Well, my husband and I belong to the YMCA which, over and above all other gyms that I've belonged to, tries to create a sense of community at the facility. There is no loud music pumping, people aren't allowed to use cellphones in the workout rooms, etc. So when I got to the gym, I was setting up the treadmill and her cellphone went off - ringer shocked just about everyone because it was so loud. She picked it up and began talking - loudly. I cleaned off my treadmill as I always do, put my stuff in the cubbie, and decided that she had long enough to tell the other person that she could not talk, but yet she was still talking on the phone. I approached her, interrupted her conversation and pointed out that the Y rules state that, out of respect to other members working out, cellphone use was only permitted in the front lobby. She prompted hung up her call. I went to my treadmill and started my workout while watching a movie.

About 15 minutes into my workout, someone got on a treadmill 2 machines over from me. As people do, I looked over to see who joined in near me. It was her. As soon as she saw me look at her, she said "What?! You got a problem with me?!?" I ignored her. Finished up on the treadmill, and make sure I didn't look at her. Wiped down my machine and moved to an elliptical.

About 10 minutes later, still watching my movie, she approaches me and shakes the machine, thrusting a paper towel at me. I take my earphones out and ask her what she wants. Still thrusting the paper towel at me, she starts asking me if I don't want it to wipe down my machine. I thank her, advising her that I have already wiped my machine down at the start AND at the finish. As she walks behind me, I feel the machine shake again. At this point, I am just irritated so I get off the machine and approach her in the hallway. I informed her that if she had a problem with me, she should inform management but I was simply asking her to abide by the same rules that I, and everyone else in the facility, were following. She started yelling at me about something, so I went to speak with the front desk staff.

The staff separated us because every time I tried to tell the staff what had happened, she interrupted. Including when I told them she said "You gotta problem with me" - she responded "Yeah! and you ignored me!!" She made a pretense of going to put her towel in the bin and then skirted out of the facility before giving them information or her name. Strange. :) I was just glad that she wasn't there today.

Sunday 7/26 - Crazy-free workout. Treadmill (25 minutes) - 1.36 miles and approximately 240 calories. Elliptical (30 minutes) - 2.31 miles and approximately 348 calories. Fun times.

That's some nutty stuff!

We biked a total of 30 miles today. It looked like rain, so we kept it shorter than originally planned by starting closer to our favorite Bike Trail chow stop. This gave us a nice 15 mile ride to food. After we ate, it no longer looked like rain, so we were going to head further up the trail, but the wind was gusting pretty strong, creating a nasty headwind for our return trip, so instead we headed back to the vehicle.

Survived the hearing yesterday with some emotional eating (junk food). Ah well. Didn't work out in the morning as I had a little trouble sleeping the night before.

Tuesday 7/28 - Elliptical (45 minutes) - 3.69 miles and approximately 557 calories. My time was a bit slower than I had hoped but since my knees have been aching a bit, I wasn't too concerned for speed/time as I was being conscious of what my body was doing, if it was hurting, etc.

Glad to hear that you made it through the hearing! Hopefully it went well for you!

Monday:
This was a relative rest day for me.
Easy 1k Row;
5 Deadhang Pullups
10 GHD Back Extensions
10 GHD Situps

Tuesday:

Snatch and Associated Skills

Warmed up at home:
250m x 4 (30 sec rest)
1st leg: Focus on light wattage, stroke rate around 27 spm
2nd leg: Focus on higher wattage, stroke rate around 17 spm
3rd leg: Focus on “medium” wattage, stroke rate around 29 spm
4th leg: High wattage, stroke rate around 24 spm

At the Club:
Snatch Balance, Snatch Drop, Overhead Squat (performed one after another as a triplet) x 5
Snatch Footwork x10 (rise on toes in jumping position and drop and slide feet into squat position
Hang Snatch (starting above knees) x 3 x 5
Hang Snatch (starting below knees on one box) x 3 x 5
Romanian Deadlifts x 5 x 3

Even though weight was increased on most subsequent sets after the first one, the focus remained singularly on technique. On some of the sets of Snatches at the end, it started to feel like I was starting to “get it”. I hope to keep building on that.

Thanks WB. I read your workout reports and get so confused by what I read, simply because I don't know your terminology, so I can't 'visualize' your workouts, what they entail, etc. No need to explain though, unless you really want to.

Wednesday 7/29 - Worked out in the evening as I lacked the motivation yesterday morning. Elliptical (38 minutes), 2.94 miles and 445 calories.

Back
Top Bottom