About to buy first regulator set - DIN or yoke?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Very helpful all around - thanks to everyone for sharing your knowledge. I don’t think I’ll be getting into technical diving and I really don’t care about resale value. I’m starting to think yoke is the way to go for me.

In short answer -- both.

I have had DIN and yoke capabilities, since day-one, since my regulators originally arrived along with a screw-on yoke; and I've had years of using either system, moving from one to the other, without any negative issues . . .

As for the yoke to DIN adapters...
I remember hearing about someone who bought a yoke regulator and later decided to get it converted to DIN. Walked into a local shop, was going to drop it off. The shop was looking at the regulator as they described what they wanted. The shop unscrewed the DIN regulator from the yoke adapter. They never knew there were diving a DIN regulator with a yoke adapotor installed. How it got that way, don't know. Maybe the selling shop sold it as a universal package? Maybe someone wanted a yoke regulator and inventory was only DIN, but to get the sale they put on the adapter?

I keep a yoke to DIN adaptor in my inventory. I have traveled with it a couple of times. Never needed it. I have found that DIN is generally available. As time goes on I don't see any reason it won't be even more available.

Very helpful all around - thanks to everyone for sharing your knowledge. I don’t think I’ll be getting into technical diving and I really don’t care about resale value. I’m starting to think yoke is the way to go for me.
Yoke then.
You will have no problem in SE Asia. Great diving here. Honest.

They never knew there were diving a DIN regulator with a yoke adaptor installed. How it got that way, don't know. Maybe the selling shop sold it as a universal package?
If it was Poseidon, that's how they originally came, right out of the box, from the 1960s through the early 2000s. If I recall, my first Xstream, around 2003, still had an adaptor included, which was only later offered as a pricey accessory . . .

If it was Poseidon, that's how they originally came, right out of the box, from the 1960s through the early 2000s. If I recall, my first Xstream, around 2003, still had an adaptor included, which was only later offered as a pricey accessory . . .
That was a brand the shop did carry for a long time.

My recommendation whenever I'm asked is always DIN with a Yoke adapter if ever necessary. Most rental tanks these days are convertible pro valves and the operator can remove the insert for you. For me it comes down to safety. DIN is simply a more secure fitting. I see blown o-rings on Yoke regs ALL THE TIME. Never on a DIN. Now it pretty much always blows on the boat when the tank is first pressurized, but I prefer a reg that isn't prone to blowing the sealing o-ring. Also, DIN can handle higher pressures. Most regulators of the same make support 232 BAR for yoke and 300 BAR for DIN. Now I do almost 100% local diving with my own tanks, so that colors my preference.

On the flip side, if you are staying recreational and will do alot of travel, a yoke might be a better option. But make sure you ALWAYS check the tank o-ring and keep spare yoke o-rings in your save-a-dive kit in case the operator is out. You WILL occasionally have blown yoke o-rings.

^^ This is my recommendation as well. When my son got certified they wouldn't even allow him to use a Yoke, everything was and continues to be DIN; that should be telling. It's cheap and easy to get an adapter for travel or your SAD kit.

I've also seen SO MANY issues with Yokes on local boats I'd never go that route given the choice. Adapt for when there are no options.

Most rental tanks these days are convertible pro valves and the operator can remove the insert for you.
Not true in Missouri, Cozumel, and several other places I've been. Probably true in Florida, and europe though.

Not true in Missouri, Cozumel, and several other places I've been. Probably true in Florida, and europe though.

I did say ‘most’ … that does not mean all. With that said, my data set is limited to FL, IN, NC & CA. YMMV

I bought my first reg set earlier this year and went with DIN. I was trying to future-proof my gear, and I hope to own my own tanks in the future and want the higher-pressure tanks to be an option. I bought a yoke converter as well. My only experience thus far has been in the Caribbean; the operation in St. Kitts had convertible valves, and they were happy to take the inserts out for me and a couple other divers who had DIN regs.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom