About to buy first regulator set - DIN or yoke?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I like DIN with a Yoke adapter. DIN is less bulky. Most every outfit I have dived with (all in North or Central America) have had DIN fitments. For the occasional place that doesn't have DIN, I use the Yoke adapter.

My advice......especially if you plan on local diving and owning your own tanks is to set everything up with DIN, but also have actual the yolk (not the adaptor) available so that you have options depending on where you may be traveling. Also when buying your own tanks always get a pro convertible valve.

When traveling, you can always check with your destination to see what they use and It takes just a few minutes to swap from a DIN to Yolk. I personally don't like the adaptor just because it can be a head banger and another point of failure.....but I still always carry one just in case... Also, my DIN adaptor comes in handy when traveling and using my transfill adaptor to fill my 13 or 19cf pony bottle.

I did say ‘most’ … that does not mean all. With that said, my data set is limited to FL, IN, NC & CA. YMMV
Actually, convertible valves are available in the places I mentioned, but need to be specifically requested since only a fraction of the tanks have them. It's not hard to call ahead and make reserve them.

I’m close to buying my first regulator setup and wavering between a DIN or yoke first stage. So far, 95-plus percent of my diving has been in the US or the Caribbean, and all my rental gear has been yoke. But who knows where I’ll be going in the future … and for that reason, im leaning toward buying DIN along with a yoke adapter. Does this make sense, or am I better off just buying yoke?
I'm sure that lots of people have chimed in (I haven't read this thread, only many others just like it) and told you how much better DIN is. Mostly that's accurate, but far more important is to have a regulator set that matches the tanks you are diving with. So if that is yoke tanks, then get a yoke regulator. Diving with one of the spin on adapters is not a good solution. It works in a pinch, but it also completely negates the advantages of DIN and puts the regulator uncomfortably close to your head.

Based on what you have said, buying a yoke regulator makes the most sense for you. If you eventually travel to a DIN part of the world for diving, you can easily get a DIN conversion kit.

A good credo for new divers buying gear is 'get what you need' not what someone tells you 'you might need sometime in the future.'

I would buy s Scubapro MK17 plus G260 in yoke config. But I would also buy the inexpensive DIN conversion kit (39 eur).
It can be swapped with the yoke mount in less than one minute.
So you have the best of the two worlds...
And no crap adaptors.
I would buy online on Ebay from Europe, the price can be less than half than in US. I would also buy a couple of service kits, so you are OK for 10 years

Cannot imagine that any major manufacturer regulator will be DIN or yoke ONLY.

I've only ever used DIN -- in the UK -- but went to the Caribbean last year. I looked into getting a DIN to Yoke adapter, was something like $50 and would be a horrible hack that sticks out.

I bought the original yoke connector part for the Apeks regulator for $30. Took one minute to swap out with the correct Allen key and a tiny smear of O2 grease. This means the regulator is now an officially converted yoke regulator and should I need to use it in Europe I can simply unscrew the Yoke connector and screw the DIN one back in.

It was $20 cheaper than a horrible adapter!

Sometimes using the right and original parts is a lot cheaper than using after-market adapters.

With My Scubapro first stage reg I bought yoke and also a DIN conversion. Not DIN adapter, a bulky thing, but an actual part replacement conversion that can easily be changed out, depending on what's available where you travel. Not expensive at all and easy to do. I use DIN on my own stuff, yoke in my favorite Caribbean destinations where DIN tanks are unavailable. It takes 5 minutes to remove one system part and replace it with the other. DIN is better, so it's what I use on my own tanks.

Yoke configuration if you are asking for MHO

I think the idea on one regulator is kind of cute, it boggles the imagination :wink:

I use Din locally with my own tanks, yoke for travel. For the most part yoke will do everything you need.

After diving for many years on a yoke style setup, I finally switched to a DIN setup.
The only reason I went to DIN was to drop dive weight and get more dive time, by using HPsteel tanks.
I dive with a drysuit now (west coast) I was using 52lbs with a LP Aluminum tank, W/HP steel tank
I am using 36lbs of weight. Most dive resorts have the new style valves on their tanks to switch from yoke to DIN so there shouldn't be any problems there.
It just has to do with what you want more than anything. My opinion

Back
Top Bottom