air integrated computer or not?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have several computers, all Suunto so I can only speak about them. I love them!! I have used the Cobra (air intergrated console) for quite a while. I got it because I thought that it would grow with me as I took additional classes, like nitrox. I love that it tells me approximately how long I have left on a tank.

I also have the D9 (I'm a gadget kind a person). Definately not a computer for everyone as it is all electronic and pricey. Some people really need analog. Besides there are a few logbook bugs that Suunto needs to work out. Doesn't really effect the computer and diving but in the downloading. I love the D9 and don't regret buying it either!

I now use my Cobra as a back-up. I don't dive with it, it is just a spare. When I dive, I only use my D9. I also have a Mosquito and may attach that to my bc as a backup.

Aqualung is currently having an instant rebate on the Cobra and Vytec. You may want to check out their website at aqualung.com. You can save $200-300 instantly!

We, my husband and I dive with wrist mounted computers that are AI...started with AI console but when the Dacor Omni Pro went south I needed a new computer that’s when I went with wrist mount.

We really like our Suunto Vytec's and we also each dive with Uwatec Aladin Air Z Nitrox wrist mount too. The Uwatec and Suunto are compatible with each other as they are both use conservative algorithms. They both are also Nitrox too.

If I had to pick just one I would go with the Suunto Vytec, have not dove with the D9 but on paper it looks good too. I like AI but as I can see what amount of air I have left by looking on my wrist. I also have a backup pressure gauge too on my first stage too.

OK so I like to be redundant with my equipment!

I think you will be happy with the Suunto's but you have to decide if you want to pay more for the AI.

Have fun diving!

AZDivers

Laudrup:
Hi guys,

Anyone could pls help me on taking a decision of what comp should I buy pls? money is not the main problem, but I just don't wanna pay $1000 for a brand new comp with lots of functions that I'll never use, if you know what I mean...
Basically, I'm considering buying a computer for my girlfriend and another one for me, which makes much more sense if we choose iar integrated functions. If not, with just one comp is enough?
We just started diving last summer and had just some 10-15 dives on board so far and I prefer watch style looking comp rather than bigger ones.
I've been considering to buy an air integrated comp, but I'm still wondering if it's worth for new divers like us. I liked the brand new D9 of suunto or vytec.
However, if I decide not to buy any air integrated comp, I was considering both stinger and mosquito from suunto as well. I like stinger pretty much, but find mosquito much better in terms of value given its lower price.
My main point is that I don't wanna get stuck with a comp in 2 years time and start looking for a new one with the options I'm missing on the one I'll buy now.

any help much appreciated!

AI is a much debated topic. Personally, I don't think it's necessary. After you dive a bit more, you'll know how much time you have left to breathe down the tank. Consider a wristmounted computer, and clip off an analog SPG. The Aeris Atmos and Suunto Vyper come to mind...they both do nitrox. Shop around. Good luck!

BTW - if you do go AI, consider a redundant analog SPG....

DavidHickey:
We got in the water and everything was fine. My computer reading showed I started with 2980 but once at depth I looked at my computer and it was reading 1800 psi after just a few minutes, I signaled up and told the instructor. He and my fiancee were still at around 2890. He said there was no way I could have used that much air. After a minute it was back up again so we continued and went back under. Looked a minute later and was back down but this time even further it was down to about 600 this time. We surfaced again and he said there was a problem with my computer.
David

AI is great but I wouldn't dive withut a mechanical SPG. I think if I had an AI comuter I''d still be looking at my SPG. I want toknow how many PSI is in the tank and know that the reading is "real" What happens if the above computer failure happens at 110 feet depth? You don't just go up figure it out then drop back down to 110.

So if you do get an IA computer besure and also get a god SPG. Both OMS and DiveRite make goodones. Bt I'd just g with a non-AI nitrx capable comuter.

I think i'll finally buy two mosquito, one for my girlfriend and one for me... If I find AI quite useful in the future, I'll buy it and use the mosquito as back-up.

thx a lot for your help guys!!!

Good idea buying one for each of you. Never share a computer!

I have been diving with the Aeris Atmos Elite for a while now and have never had any problems with it. It always holds contact with the transmitter (occasionally it will lose contact for a second, but will come right back) and has never failed. An excellent computer. Aeris is coming out with a 3 - gas, switchable wrist watch computer in the next month or so that is also hoseless AI, can't wait to try it out!

I've used a Suunto Eon Air Integrated Computer for nearly 12 years now and have never had a problem with it. When I first started, I used a 'clamp on' air gauge to check the pressure before I mounted the computer, and after each dive. After the 100th computer dive or so, I stopped since it had never had a problem.

If you're not comfortable with an air-integrated dive computer, go with one that isn't.

I wouldn't dive without one, myself. Air projections aren't foolproof, but they're useful, especially when you download the data and analyze the 'feel' of the dive vs. the things you recorded and measured. The console reduces 'task loading' since you have only one 'gauge' to look at. Having to look at a wrist computer, an SPG and possibly a seperate compass is much harder under stress than having an air-integrated console with an attached compass.

Tachyon

I have the air integrated Vytek and i love it. It has had its moments with syncing but a shutoff of the tank always corrects the problem. It has never done any weird things such as reporting high then low tank information. I also have a traditional analog SPG attached to my BC that i never look at except before and after the dive just to verify the computer is accurate. It is peace of mind knowing that if my computer fails i have a backup.

Laudrup:
I've been considering to buy an air integrated comp, but I'm still wondering if it's worth for new divers like us.
I have one. When it dies I will not replace it. Brass & glass from now on.
Rick

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom