air integrated computer or not?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have an Aeris Atmos AI, and I am very pleased with it, my newbie status notwithstanding...

With the air integration, I feel safer knowing that the unit is tracking my allowable bottom time based upon my air consumption and/or nitrogen loading, whichever is ticking away my bottom time faster. I can also set turn times and pressures.

However, I have recently sensed a bit of vulnerability relying solely on the computer, and have been seriously considering a mini-SPG/depthgauge combo to be tucked away in the event of a computer failure.

--'Goose

Laudrup:
Hi guys,

Anyone could pls help me on taking a decision of what comp should I buy pls? money is not the main problem...

I honestly believe in backup (two real regs, two lights, .... two fins :wink: ) especially when it comes to diving. First of all, a computer is great idea BUT make sure your main computer is working ... your brain. Plan your dive and write down your plan on a slate. The computer should confirm your numbers.

Second, you and your GF should have two computers not just one but they should be based off the same algorithm (i.e., RGBM, Haldane, etc.) if you're both diving together.

Third, an air integrated computer is a great idea if it's backed up with a separate analog SPG. Hoseless would also be a good feature since the transmitter can be attached to your second HP outlet (the first has the SPG) on your first stage. Of course, this assumes you've got a first stage with the appropriate number of ports (2 hp's, 4 LP's or more?) or you dive with DIR (doubles or Y valve on singles with separate regs).

If money is no problem (it's not Armani .. it's Your-mani), why not skip the air integrated and go for a VR3? It comes in color and you can play video games ... :wink:

I just bought a Vytec 2 weeks ago already have 20 dives on it and am loving it. I considered the D9 but didn't like the size of the display or how busy it was. My only problem now is when I go to check my compass I sweep for where my old gauge hose used to be. I especially like the fact that I can see an estimate of how much air time I have remaining.

ChrisA:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidHickey
We got in the water and everything was fine. My computer reading showed I started with 2980 but once at depth I looked at my computer and it was reading 1800 psi after just a few minutes, I signaled up and told the instructor. He and my fiancee were still at around 2890. He said there was no way I could have used that much air. After a minute it was back up again so we continued and went back under. Looked a minute later and was back down but this time even further it was down to about 600 this time. We surfaced again and he said there was a problem with my computer.
David

AI is great but I wouldn't dive withut a mechanical SPG. I think if I had an AI comuter I''d still be looking at my SPG. I want toknow how many PSI is in the tank and know that the reading is "real" What happens if the above computer failure happens at 110 feet depth? You don't just go up figure it out then drop back down to 110.

So if you do get an IA computer besure and also get a god SPG. Both OMS and DiveRite make goodones. Bt I'd just g with a non-AI nitrx capable comuter.

As Paul Harvey would say "Here's the REST of the story..."

http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=98571

Dude, don't take everything you read on the internet at face value... (you should read the whole thread). The failure you quoted was probably due to the fact that the guy didn't have his tank valve open all the way... (I've heard people say they've had the same problem with a standard SPG) The new AI computers are quite reliable (even wireless). Backups are good if you don't want to miss that once in a lifetime dive in the case of a failure: not really a safety issue for rec diving since you're just going to thumb your dive IF there is a failure (you'd have to do the same if your analog gauge died too). In all, I can't recall of hearing of a single AI pressure failure that couldn't be attributed to something (tank valve like above, failure to change batteries, etc.) although there are probably some out there (as there are probably some stories of failed mechanical SPG's out there).

To each their own I guess...

Pragmatically speaking, what any dive computer does is opens the door to easy multi-level diving, which for many divers increases bottom time.

Pragmatically speaking, the difference in added bottom time between an AI computer and a non-AI computer is generally negligible once you've gained some experience in how long your air usually lasts.

Pragmatically speaking, what this boils down to is that if you're trying to get the best "bang for the buck", the cheap dive computer provides most of the bottom time benefit and the least financial investment. And because of their lower complexity, non-AI dive computers are generally cheaper than AI dive computers.

Today, Nitrox is now commonly enough availble and accepted such that its fairly reasonable to expect that most divers who stick with diving have a pretty good chance of using Nitrox at times. Coupled with the additional cost of a Nitrox-compatible dive computer now generally being very reasonably priced, its a feature that should generally be bought, so to prevent duplication of purchasing.

Looking beyond the financial angles of AI/non-AI, there's some human factors concerns that can crop up on some AI designs, which by definition cannot exist on non-AI designs. There can also be differences in failure modes in regards to generalizations of how graceful (predicable) one may be versus the other. There can also be some preferences in gage location (wrist vs console). Finally, there's issues between specific models & brands in regards to how "liberal" or "conservative" the dive computer's algorythms are set up ... the general trend (and probably not really to the diver's betterment) is increasingly conservative.

All said, I dive a non-AI, on a console with an analog SPG. And if the trend of increasing conservatism continues, my next dive computer may very well be that I pull my ancient EDGE back out of the gear closet.

-hh

My DB uses a hoseless AI computer. My advice, have a SPG backup.
We were on a dive trip in Fla. and his AI malfunctioned, total loss of
information. He decided, not my choice, to do a conservative shallow
dive with one of my computers. I use an SPG with a console computer
and a backup wrist computer. I can not imagine a dive with no tank
information and I can not recommend this action for anyone else.
So now to my point, there is a movement to hoseless designs, AIR2
Octo's and hoseless AI computers, me, I'll keep my hoses.
Example in point...I was buddied up with a rescue diver at Devil's Den,
he was diving FFM with an AIR2 octo, I intiated a buddy check and
realized what I was looking at, ascent relying on his AIR2! Anyone really
want to make an emergency ascent with this configuration? Does anyone
teach this? Again, I'll keep my hoses, I do not think a couple of hoses is
really going to make a big difference on my SAC, and if you give me "out of
air" your going to have my Octo crammed in your face.
Pardon my rambling......

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom