Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Based on my own experience, my answer to the OP would be to invest in a simple computer for now and then just dive for awhile, renting whatever you need. Once you have more hours under your belt, you'll have a better sense of what you need, and a better sense--based on what you've rented and what you've observed via other divers--of what fits best with your intentions.

I never rented exposure protection, but now I wish I had. Because then I wouldn't have bought the 3 mil wetsuit which wasn't enough, and then the 7 mil custom wetsuit, which still wasn't enough, adding ever-heavier hoods, which STILL wasn't enough, until I finally realized, a couple hundred too-cold dives later, that I really needed to invest in a drysuit or quit diving.

Because I was buying my own exposure protection, I felt obligated to find a way to make it work and I kept diving uncomfortably for far too long. If I'd been renting the same suits and noticing how cold I was still getting, I'd have just rented something heavier next time and not looked back. Instead, I tried to convince myself that I was okay when I really wasn't, because of the money I'd spent. But that's just me. I'm stubborn.

Lots of great suggestions here.

I think the comment that renting equipment is not going to help much, because it will always be the same, but also, in most of my experience, I don't see people who work at dive shops buying the same gear they rent for their own personal equipment. Usually as you start diving though, you will find the community of divers around you will have lots of experience and suggestions, and you will likely find some that may let you use what they have to try out different equipment and decide what you like and buy that.

From my limited perspective, I suggest buying your BCD first. As a new recreational diver, there are a lot of choices, but most of the diving you will do will likely be single tank, so you can just focus on finding what you are comfortable wearing. Having a familiar and comfortable BCD will allow you to enjoy your diving more, and set up so you have better trim and buoyancy sooner.

I don't think buying a computer first is all that important. I dove off of tables for the first couple years, and I was happier spending my money on items that helped me dive better (more comfortable). I suggest buying some Regs next, after trying a few out, and follow that with a good dive light, and then I would buy a computer.

I put a light ahead of a computer, because a good light is very handy when diving, but also can be used for communication or as a signal device, which will impact your dive more than the difference a computer will make until you start to do something more than is normal with your first 50 or so dives in open water.

Most of the posts I read here are from people who are far more experienced than I am however, so take my opinion as such, and get as many suggestions as possible. :)

I don't see people who work at dive shops buying the same gear they rent for their own personal equipment.

I would not place any value at all on what professionals are using. From what I understand, most shops require their employees to use particular gear. Precisely because customers will see it and think that it is good and buy it. Just because a pro is wearing something does not mean that is is what that pro wants to be wearing. It might not be bad gear, but it isn't necessarily what they prefer. Even if they don't require particular gear, they probably still offer respectable employee discounts. That also creates a reason for a pro to wear something they otherwise wouldn't prefer.

If you want an objective professional opinion, you have to find a pro that isn't affiliated with a shop that sells gear. Or find one that's willing to break his shop's rules...

I would not place any value at all on what professionals are using. From what I understand, most shops require their employees to use particular gear. Precisely because customers will see it and think that it is good and buy it. Just because a pro is wearing something does not mean that is is what that pro wants to be wearing. It might not be bad gear, but it isn't necessarily what they prefer. Even if they don't require particular gear, they probably still offer respectable employee discounts. That also creates a reason for a pro to wear something they otherwise wouldn't prefer.

If you want an objective professional opinion, you have to find a pro that isn't affiliated with a shop that sells gear. Or find one that's willing to break his shop's rules...

Could not be more right about what most dive pros wear. Hell if I helped out in ANY way with my local shop I could not wear my ZET, but instead had to wear one of the rental jackets. Nor could I use my Hog reg set. Had to use the SEAC branded stuff.

What a great point, thank you for the perspective!

Pawel G Majkowski,

When I moved to southeast Michigan in 1991, I linked up with a terrific dive shop owned by an extremely knowledgeable and personable course director who was a technical diving instructor. It was very easy for me to accept his recommendations for how to get the most out of "local" (i.e, northeast Ohio quarry and Great Lakes) diving.

I soon purchased a new custom DUI crushed neoprene drysuit having neoprene fold-under wrist seals and a neoprene fold-under neck seal, which, together with DUI Thinsulate underwear, was not an inexpensive purchase. This was the same suit a couple of his instructors and fellow wreck diving enthusiasts dove and loved, an extremely tough suit that had withstood their very advanced deep wreck Great Lakes diving.

Soon after that, I purchased larger steel cylinders (PST 3,500 psig HP 100's) which, because of their larger capacity, were recommended for deeper dives over the PST HP 80's I already owned, and Poseidon Odin regulators which were recommended over my Scubapro Mk 10/Balanced Adjustable regulators for the deeper depths, extremely cold Great Lakes water temps at depth, and the 4,000 psig fills that my HP 100's were getting routinely.

These purchases all worked out extremely well. I never had any regrets with any of it. In fact, I still own this gear (well, at one point, I switched out the HP 100's for HP 120's which I still own) and still use it for single tank rec diving down here in central Missouri in the winter.

I was extremely lucky to have found two instructors (my first open water instructor, and then this dive shop owner who became my first technical diving instructor) who both steered me toward purchasing excellent gear that I have owned for decades and with which I continue to enjoy diving. I have replaced my dry suit zipper once in all this time, and the wrist seals and neck seal are about due for their first replacement, and my Poseidons have performed flawlessly (and have *never* been serviced!). So, clearly, this is some durable gear! For your local diving you might take a closer look at these models/makes of gear if you decide you want to pursue local Michigan diving.

Safe Diving,

rx7diver

P.S. My Great Lakes wreck dives were "tourist" dives for the most part--I very seldom penetrated the wrecks--so maybe my suit is overkill for this type of diving. But I have never had an issue with my DUI, and I have never wished I had purchased a less expensive, but maybe less durable, alternative suit, instead.

Or find one that's willing to break his shop's rules...
In many cases the shops affiliated vendors will pull the shops ability to sell and service gear if their employees don't follow the rules in the contract. So might be harder to find this than you might think.

Lots of variance here regarding priorities. So might as well add my 2 psi.

I have only been certified for 3 years and it was a present to my son when he turned 13 so my main priorities were what is going to give me the biggest safety/$ quotient. Right or wrong.

My first real purchase was a dive shop for training. I research all the shops in the area and select the shop that I interviewed which had a policy of completing the class ONLY when you and the instructor both feel you are comfortable and proficient with the skills. Extra classes/pool time OK.

We went back to the shop together and selected basic equip for class. No need to go into details here since you already have that.

My first gear purchase was regulators. In hind sight this does not match up with my stated priorities but I knew we were going to dive in cold PNW waters with warm water vacations thrown in at least once a year. (That and I wanted to have something he could actually open and touch as a present). Except, that I wanted a sets of regs that I always knew how they were handled, stored, cared for, serviced etc. So in that respect it was a safety issue for me. I ended up with the AquaLing Legend LX since I was pretty sure it would be very reliable in the conditions we would dive. In hind sight, I might not have made this my first purchase, but I don't regret these regs AT ALL! I have tried others and I still really like these.

Next purchase was dive computers. I really look at these as one of my primary safety devices. After all was said and done I purchased two Oceanic ProPlus 2 computers. I felt that they were a nice compromise of features and allowed our growth as divers. Also, my eyes are getting worse so I wanted BIG displays. Yes they are kind of big and they are attached to the 1st stage but they are super reliable. No regrets here either.

As another said DAN insurance. Self explanatory

Next we dove and dove. We knew we wanted dry suits, but the $$ for 2 suits was a little more that I wanted spend yet. Trying out suits was a great idea. I had so many people recommend the Whites Fusion (I am not bashing them here) but we just hated them. My son was still growing and figured I would end up buying a second one for him in a year or two. We tried Whites, Bare Tri_lams, Waterproof D1. Did not like any of them. Then found a used Bare 2nd Gen SB and I bought a Bare HD tri-lam. Best purchases. They are exactly what we both wanted. He grew to 6 foot and the suit fits him like a glove (in a good way) I love the comfort of my suit. There was no way I would have been this happy with both suits had we not tried many different suits prior to purchasing.

Next up, BCD's. We dove several jackets in cold waters and warm waters. Rented than all but we were lucky enough to have quite a selection to choose from and make some opinions. I did not like the confining feel of jacket styles and wanted to be able to travel with it easily and could perform equally well in warm and cold waters. Yep. BPW! Research a lot, then called Jim Lapenta. He spent a bunch of time answering my questions sending me his paper on BPW and then sold me two Hog BPW. PERFECT! Again a purchase I have never for a second regretted and it has performed exactly as I expected and meets all my qualifications.

Lights were next. Started with 1000lm lights for about $100 each from Mako. THey too worked exactly as expected. Light up hole and signal my buddy. Done!

Wow. Long post but SB members have been very helpful to me over the years and if this helps in any little way then great. I am not saying my decisions were right or best, but they were right and best for me and I would probably do it the exact same way again.

Last edited:
Sorry, I just can't read all the posts. They always vary on this question anyway. When you have the money, of course, just buy it all. I always recommend used good stuff, but then again I don't always have the money.
My list?
Basic stuff then BCD, reg, tank. Computer when you start to dive deep (watch I guess before that time).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom