Baby Shampoo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Walter:
Said like a true retailer.

Not a retailer. just an instructor and an avid diver.

A retailer wouldn't have let you choose your path..they'd have chosen it for you.

Baby Shampoo- I take a bottle of it on dive trips (particularly live aboards)- I use it to shower on the back deck (hair, body, face). I dilute it in a squirt bottle (50/50) and use it for defog as mentioned (hundreds of dives doing this and never a problem), I use it to check for leaks, also use it for getting on neoprene gloves. I use it on the zip seals of my dry suit when switching from the gloves to the seals to make sure the zips are clean for a good seal.

Talc for the dry suit- yes you do need to avoid the scented variety, you can find the unsented at a store that sells billiards supply. I typically use corn starch... never heard of using flower like someone mentioned.

Beeswax for dry suit zippers.

Lots of hardware is much cheaper at home depot or tractor supply- just gotta be careful it is all stainless or brass (a lot of the stainless clips have non-stainless springs, and the hoseclamps can have non stainless bolts)... just gotta be on the look out. Nylon mason line is about $2 for a couple hundred yards (and comes in pretty colors). I also bought all of the stainless hardware for my tanks there. I have a trans pack and I replaced all of the cheap plastic fasteners with stainless cariage bolts and wing nuts (for less than a dollar).

Another thing- the discount hardware store is my best friend (we have Harbor freight in this area). I got a set of about 200 o-rings for about $2. I DON"T USE THESE ON REGS/GEAR etc. but what they are great for is for attaching gear. Enough force and they break, so you avoid a lot of the entanglement issues. $2 rubber mallet removing tank valves and boots.

zip-ties.... nuff said.

Pool-noodle tank ranks... do them yourself!!!! also by DIYing these, you can make them to fit your needs. I ahve ones to accomidate my stages- can't buy them premade.

I've also seen some really nice gear racks made from PVC, but I haven't done that yet.

I'm also not including all of the great instrucing materials I've gotten cheap at BigLots or the like.

scubapolly:
Baby Shampoo . . . I dilute it in a squirt bottle (50/50) and use it ... on the zip seals of my dry suit when switching from the gloves to the seals to make sure the zips are clean for a good seal.

I completely forgot about zip seals in my earlier post. Good call. I do the same thing to switch them out. I can't seem to get the zip seals on my DUI to lock properly unless I use a few tiny squirts of the 50/50 mix from a little squirt bottle I got for 39 cents at a craft store.

(Why would such a manly-man like Tank be in a craft store, you might ask? That's the best place to build an original Halloween costume. Really! :wink: Well, craft stores and the Salvation Army...)

Mike

scubapolly:
zip-ties.... nuff said.

That's genius, is this the first time someone brought it up?

I was on a boat tonight with 4 divers and each looked at the other and said "I left mine in the car" when I inquired. Cuz my little Harbor freight o-ring that holds the spg busted. Of course I couldn't replace that because my sdk was in the car too. Luckily the boat cap'n is a good ole salt and had me zip-tied in no time.

My first instructor suggested using spit to defog a mask. He said the way they get the commercial defog that sells for $5 bucks a bottle is to line up a bunch of convicts and make them spit into the bottles...

In my Kit, I have cable ties, masking tape, spare mask , spare mask strap , spare fins strap etc. :D

Well, I have a bunch of other stuff in there too, but zip ties are definitely one of the essentials. I have spare mouthpieces, various clips, a spare hose for my computer, O-rings of various sizes, O-ring lube, a scuba tool with adjustable wrench, a wrench that fits the hose joints at the first-stage, spare mask straps, spare fin straps, etc. I keep a spare mask in my dive bag. I believe in being prepared. Chances are, even if I don't need anything from the kit, someone on the boat will.

Back
Top Bottom