Best ID Books for Pacific specifically French Polynesia

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rebubulus

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I was wondering what some of the better id books are for the pacific. I've seen Paul Humann's Book Reef Creatures. What are some others?

This one by Allen, Steene is good, but not as comprehensive as Humann. It has a basic introduction to marine taxonomy which the lay reader (me) will appreciate, in addition to good ID pictures:

Amazon.com: Indo-Pacific Coral Reef Field Guide: Gerald R. Allen; Roger Steene: Books

This one has color drawings, rather than photos. It is better at differentiating between similar species than any of the photo books and is very comprehensive:

http://www.amazon.com/Coral-Reef-Fishes-Ewald-Lieske/dp/0691004811/ref=si3_rdr_bb_product

Neither is specific to French Polynesia.

thanks for the help vladimir. Those books both look pretty interesting. I'll have to check them out.
anyone else have some suggestions?

magnus does that book have color photographs? the look inside feature on amazon is lousy for this book.
nice photos. what kinda camera setup do you use?

Thanks- rebub

I've been using Olympus cameras for the last six years and since last year I replaced my Ikelite strobe for two two Sea&Sea's. Above water I have been using Nikon, and the plan is to go all Nikon this year, also underwater...

"Coral Reef Fishes" uses drawings. There pros and cons with both, one good thing with "Coral Reef Fishes" is that there are (often) small arrows pointing on distinguishing features for similar species... I quite often my books together with google images when I'm not sure ((and if I get stuck I ask for help on Scubaboard :) ))

// Magnus;

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom