BP/W question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NetDoc:
They went away from the "single continuous webbing" and went with a velcro intensive harness. Of course, you can still get the continuous webbing from them, but the other is SOOOO much more comfortable and adjustable. Some people have a hard time trying something new, but I am GLAD that I did!

Isn't that a BCD with options?

Stan

Hi there Jeff -

I switched to a small 30 lb wing when I went dry and found it to be far more streamline than a jacket. The only downside is that I am still finding it slower to get into that my old jacket bc when wearing a drysuit with thick undergarments - but thats probably because I'm a uncoordinated klutz.

If you find a 10,000 lb lift BC then go with Blackwoods tank suggestion - but please post us some photos if you do! It could also be modified into a small submarine if you are a bit of a handyman .. :)

Cheers,
Rohan.

FWIW, all BP&Wings are BCs. That's what they do.

I have a back plate.

I have wings. (Eagerly anticipating my camouflage singles from DSS).

The only thing modified is the webbing, and instead of being dogmatic or pedantic about it, they have chosen to be innovative. The first iteration of any idea is rarely it's best. While I have two backplates that have continuous webbing, with all of the hiking I have to do with my gear to get into certain springs, I like the comfort of my DSS Kydex backplate their strap system. I loan out my gear quite a bit... but I haven't seen fit to let loose of that Kydex Backplate yet.

NetDoc:

Can you use it on a deer stand? :D

Does anyone make wings in Advantage Camo? Now that would be cool.

Blackwood:
Plainly... that makes no sense.

Unless he's using this wing and keeps it fully inflated at all times:
maximus-wing-left-bg_0829001132.jpg

That's one of the main draws of a BP/W system. The modularity allows for a very simple, minimalist, streamlined rig.

I like the two cute little hangie downs on the bottom.

Stan

jtoorish:
Hi all,

I've been considering switching to a BP/W, especially when I go to a drysuit. In fact, for the most part, I had pretty much made the decision. Then the other day, while on a dive, a very experienced diver told me he had used a BP/W for a while and switched back to a BCD. He said the reason was too much drag with a BP/W.

I've heard a lot about the advantages of more control, greater stability, etc. with a BP/W, but that was the first I'd heard about such an obvious negative.

Just to complete the picture, I am a photographer, often diving with relatively bulky, slightly negatively buoyant camera gear. I like to stay as trim as possible. But I also like to be able to move in the water.

My question is, what are the negatives of BP/W?

Thanks

Jeff

Hmmm, I switched to the BP/W primarily because it REDUCED drag. I am a big guy and the BP/W definitely helped streamline me without having a bloated BC around me. Going to a BP/W from a BCD was like when as a kid you stop using one of stupid float rings and actually learn how to swim.

NetDoc:
FWIW, all BP&Wings are BCs. That's what they do.

I have a back plate.

The only thing modified is the webbing, and instead of being dogmatic or pedantic about it, they have chosen to be innovative. The first iteration of any idea is rarely it's best. While I have two backplates that have continuous webbing, with all of the hiking I have to do with my gear to get into certain springs, I like the comfort of my DSS Kydex backplate their strap system. I loan out my gear quite a bit... but I haven't seen fit to let loose of that Kydex Backplate yet.
Apparently if you aren't doing it retro, it’s not a BP/W. . .

serambin:
I like the two cute little hangie downs on the bottom.

Filled like that, I'd almost expect them to work like a rocket launcher on land!

Blackwood:
Plainly... that makes no sense.

Unless he's using this wing and keeps it fully inflated at all times:
maximus-wing-left-bg_0829001132.jpg

That's one of the main draws of a BP/W system. The modularity allows for a very simple, minimalist, streamlined rig.

Who makes those babies?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom