Buying a regulator for this first time...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You know, I can't help wondering if we may be overloading the analogy a little. I hope it's LBB (Leak-Before-Break, as in cylinder design), or we might be in danger from catastrophic failure. :D

(Is this the point where the Truth-In-Posting clause of the TOS contractually obligates me to use the :dork2: smiley on myself? :biggrin:)

ClayJar:
Having encountered a mild (yeah, tell me it was mild at the time... I dare you) CO2 hit once, I'm right with you there. My diving rarely goes much beyond 100' here, but if it did, I would certainly looking around to keep up with the best breathers at depth.

(You could say that you're the professional driver who bumps against the cars' limits while everyone else is driving by on the overcrowded highway. Hmm... then can I be the design engineer who knows all about the systems that make up the car but only occasionally puts any stress on them? :D)

((Hmm... and the rebreather divers are the amazing-to-the-rest-of-us extreme supercross dirtbike riders who still ride things with wheels but do things that we'd never dream of doing ourselves, all the while trying to get us to understand that there's really nothing that dangerous about a 150' double-backflip fakey superman tail whip. :rofl3:))

I'm going to change the subject a little..I read a post of your's a while back on you (trying) to dive Toledo Bend.....Dove it for the 1st time since '89 last weekend......2 good little dives.Will have to get there more often..If you want, we can set up a time in the future........Send me a PM if interested........

Get the Legend. I dive one after trying what I believe was a Titan(whatever AL's next lower reg is) and it was night and day to me. I always take a few breaths quickly when testing out a reg, the Titan couldn't keep up! This was at 30 feet too! I did the same on the Legend, and it felt like it was almost pushing air at me, ready to give me more, more, more! Maybe that individual titan needed service or had something wrong with it, but I could overbreathe it(feel resistance), where the Legend was almost laughing at my feeble attempts to challenge it.

diver 85:
I'm going to change the subject a little..I read a post of your's a while back on you (trying) to dive Toledo Bend.....Dove it for the 1st time since '89 last weekend......2 good little dives.Will have to get there more often..If you want, we can set up a time in the future........Send me a PM if interested........

How was the viz? I'm moving back to Lafayette(home sweet home after an 8 year jaunt in the Navy) next month and I'm definitely interested! Aren't there houses down there or am I making things up?

I'm sooo happy this thread appeared as I'm in a quite similar situation as ScubaGir1. For the last weeks I've spent hours online searching for different regs. However, the number of companies and models is just overwhelming!

Could anybody help me indicate the parameters which should be taken into consideration while choosing a regulator?

Thanks in advance :)

Monica

It's a good investment to rent a couple on your next trip and see what works best for YOU, like another poster stated, you ask 10 divers and you get 10 different responses. I love my Legend, but it might not fit your mouth the way it fits mine, you may hate it, ya know? The scuba magazines have reviews all the time, but watch out for fluff and gimmicks too. For example, I was hooked on the idea of the sherwood oasis(giving you moist air, basically uses your spit to moisten it), but when i breathed it, couldn't tell any difference. Once again though, some people swear by em. For me, renting and diving as many regs as I could get my hands on gave me what I felt was the best choice. Rent and dive, rent and dive. You'll eventually go down with one, and fall in love. That's the one to buy!

Wow, thanks for all the responses! :)
You guys certainly know your stuff, and are very helpful! :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom