Buying First Regulator

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Again, Zeagle for COLD Water and conditions...

here's a shot of a recent dive: btw -20C is -4F Water temp 0.7C = 33F

Attachments

• jan 31 ice dive.jpg
    jan 31 ice dive.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 62
  • weather.jpg
    weather.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 55
Seeing as how not a single person has bothered to comment on the regs you mentioned, I'll suggest that you avoid the genesis. It's a weird design, a pain to service, and not even in the league of the atomic. If you do go with atomic, make sure you get one that environmentally sealed; that might raise the cost a little. The sherwood blizzard is a tried-and-true cold water reg, but probably won't breathe as well as the atomic.

I'm not sure what water temps you're thinking of, but on average cold water for the purposes of regulator design is considered mid 40s and below, that's extremely cold water. Anything above that and most regs won't freeze too easily.

Thanks for all the feedback so far, I appreciate it!

Halocline, I've been diving the last three weeks and the water temperature has been 36 F. It does get warmer in the summer, but it's still fairly cold. Also thanks for the tip on the Genesis.

For water at that temp, you need a fully sealed regulator. Either the atomic with the environmental kit or the blizzard would work. Another reg that has a great cold water reputation is the SP MK17/G250V.

I picked up the ScubaPro MK25/S600 from John over at Scubaland on 620 in Austin Tx after seeing how well it config'd in his very light weight and seriously streamlined doubles kit. Once I got it home and got to setting my kit up I really loved how well the ports on the 1st stage allowed me to route the hoses through my BP/W. A few hundred dives later it's still the king of my kit.

For your cold water needs the MK25/S600 has the SP Thermal Insulating System (TIS) that keeps it breathing smooth in freezing water.

Scubapro MK25/S600 pics and specs

Prior to my MK25/S600 love affair I had put a few hundred dives on my Apeks Tec3 1st stage with an XtX200 secondary and an XTX50 octo. I rate them as the equal to my MK25's for ease of breathing at depth as well as for tolerating the abuse being on the road puts gear through. The Tek3 just wasn't designed for routing the hoses the way I wanted to so this is now my back up. This IS a luxury sport so picky IS an option :D

This set is environmentally sealed and rated for use in cold water as per your request.

Apeks TEK 3 First Stage pics and specs

XTX200 pics and specs

Happy diving Spotm!

+1 on the HOG regulators. Breathe great, light, and are inexpensive.
Otherwise, I'd suggest Apeks or ScubaPro, although Apeks are pretty pricey.
Maybe check out Dive Rite.

For your cold water needs the MK25/S600 has the SP Thermal Insulating System (TIS) that keeps it breathing smooth in freezing water.

This is not good advice; the MK25/S600 does not have the cold water performance that fully sealed regulators have. The TIS has not proven to be nearly as freeze-proof as the old system of packing the ambient chamber, just less work and more idiot-proof for the scubapro "techs" out there servicing the regs. The S600 is probably the least freeze-proof of all the current SP 2nd stages; it has almost no metal for heat transfer, and a very strong venturi assist in a small case. This means you have faster moving air (colder) with less effective heat transfer from the surrounding water.

For 36F water, its best to stick with a fully sealed 1st stage and a 2nd stage with lots of metal for heat transfer. When the next ice age comes and south/central TX has freezing water, I'd use one of my packed MK10s and a balanced/adjustable (converted 109) 2nd stage.

I guess I'd have to make a dry suit out of a wooly mammoth for that diving, too.

I dive Zeagles in BC all the time.

+ 1 on the apeks. I have had a older atx 50 down to 120ffw that was about 36F. Never had a problem. Now I have the xtx 200 to about the same and guess what, no problem.

Thanks for all your opinions!
I've just been offered a great deal by my LDS.
They've offered to sell me a one year old used Sherwood Blizzard. It's still in new condition and been used around 20-30 times. It would save me a decent amount of money.
Are there any cons to this regulator other than it's a little harder of a breather? And also what are some questions I should be asking before accepting this offer?

Back
Top Bottom