Buying own equipment...help please!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Your post seems to indicate that you will be diving locally, but you don't mention any thermal protection. I would think that anyone diving in Canada would have that as a primary consideration. If you have limited funds, I would think along those lines first. Find a way to be warm while diving and rent some of the rest for a while.

If you decide that you want a dry suit for your thermal protection, you may want to reconsider the jacket BCD. Some people argue (and it is debatable) that it is better to use a back inflate BCD or a backplate and wing if you are using a dry suit.

Tanks are often rented for a while until the diver feels more sure about what he or she wants or needs. If you have a limited budget, that is the first thing I would hold back on.

Gear prices have gone up! Here are MY suggestions:

BCD - Buy used. I like Zeagle, one of the few based in the USA. I recommend a back Inflate BC. I suggest a Zeagle Stiletto BC for normal sized folks. If your built like a linebacker a Ranger has more lift. Look at EBay and Craigslist.

Reg - If you buy used figure the cost of service in the price. I used to recommend buying only new but that $250 Zeagle 50D Reg is now $450. So used is a an option and Reg's last a lifetime.

Mask - Very important, buy what fits. My buddy dives a 10 year old US Divers cheapo mask, but he loves it cause it fits. My $$ Atomic $$ does not fit him and that is the name of the tune. Nothing fits but my cheap mask and I can not find another!

Fins - Another fit item. I have dove them all. I like Apollo Biofins, and Mares Quattros. Comfort matters.

Wetsuit - Used Wetsuits STINK! Buy new. Buy what fits. If you are odd sized you may be better off spending extra on a custom suit. If you are an easy fit both ScubaToys and Leisure Pro have fit guarantees.

Booties - Another stink item! Buy new.

Buying used will save you $$$, and there are a large number of folks that buy new gear, go on one trip, and it goes in the closet. That's what a savvy buyer is looking for.

Good Luck!

I would suggest talking to the LDS where you certified first to see if you can get a discount on gear. Talk to your instructor as well for gear recommendations. ALso, if you have time join a local dive club to see what general gear recommendations they have and any suggestions.

If you have time to wait, try the following online sites: Scuba.com, scubatoys.com, and leisurepro.com. Then, check out their open box/demo sections to see if they have items that are in your size or items you might like such as dive computer, fins, etc. It's a little like a swap meet, you need to be in right place at right time with proper size but can be very worth it. I've personally used the first two sites with great results.

I purchased online special pinnacle 5/7 mm XS wetsuit for my daughter at scuba.com for $49, and used fins for $29 as well. I then got Aeris XR 1 dive computer as open box special from scubatoys $125 (normally about $300 brand new). There wasn't a warranty from the company but scubatoys provided 1 year coverage in lieu official manufacturer's warranty.

I'd echo RonFrank's recommendations back inflate Zeagle Stiletto as that is the BC I currently use. Can't say enough good things about it, I really like it. May be too pricey brand new but you should be able get good price online, even here in SB for used gear.

good luck.

As one newbie to another- I'll offer this suggestion, if possible, to try out some different types of gear before purchasing. I was certified last May and when I started thinking about purchasing gear, I was fairly sure I wanted a jacket BCD, like I'd used in my training.

I had the opportunity to try some different BCDs - through demo days at several different dive shops and in renting gear while taking some classed. In doing so, my opinion changed and I wound up buying a back inflate BCD.

Can you get a set of gear for ~$1000? Probably.

Can you get a set of gear that you won't be incrementally upgrading/re-buying/repairing and spending more all along the way? I don't think so.

I'd use your initial budget to rent and try different gear and set up a plan to save some dough, then buy the gear you really want.

Hi all,

I'm a fairly newbie diver, got certified last June, and have done only 3 dives since then. I'm hoping to buy my own equipment this winter so I'm ready to go once the ice thaws...no I'm not that brave yet to try ice diving. :wink: I realize this is a fairly broad question, hoping this is the right forum to post it in.

What I'm looking for is a jacket BCD, reg/octopus set, a tank, and a computer....and I'm looking to spend around $1000 or so, with some flexibility. Since I'm a newbie, I'm just looking for some good safe reliable equipment that won't break the bank. I get the hunch that the sky's the limit when it comes to price...

I'm noticing that there are some good deals to be had online with packages, but I'm not sure which retailer/outlet to try. What types of questions should I ask regarding warranties, servicing, etc? FYI, I'm in Canada, can I expect any hassles importing the stuff from the US?

Also, would there be any particular brands to avoid? I'm noticing a lot of opinions out there regarding equipment are like cars...some people perfer Fords, some Toyotas, but most will get you from A-B without much hassle. It's a bit overwhelming, to be honest...

Cheers and thanks in advance!

Yes it can be done and all new gear. Pm me

Can you get a set of gear for ~$1000? Probably.

Can you get a set of gear that you won't be incrementally upgrading/re-buying/repairing and spending more all along the way? I don't think so.

I'd use your initial budget to rent and try different gear and set up a plan to save some dough, then buy the gear you really want.

If you leave out the computer yes he can. BPW and high performance coldwater reg set for under a grand easy. A computer from Leisure Pro would put him 50-100 over that and he'd not need to upgrade unless he wanted to.

Mr Lapenta makes a great arguement for going to a local dive shop. First of all he says he can sell you gear, just not all the gear. Why not look somewhere where you can get the complete set up, so that you can deal with one person - even if that happens to be scubatoys or lesuirepro. Two he tells you he can sell you what you want, what he fails to mention is that there are dealers that sell his product line in Canada so even if it cost the same shipping must be way less.

I hope as a dive shop owner that you make a careful decison as to what gear you need. Don't forget that unless you are mechanicly inclined you will need to have your gear serviced at some point and having a relationship with a store that services your gear, can loan you gear in case you need it and can also help you with future classes you will be left sending everything back to wherever you bought it for service. Please consider a local shop or at least a brand serviced by a local shop so that you have some support should you need it.

Mr Lapenta makes a great arguement for going to a local dive shop. First of all he says he can sell you gear, just not all the gear. Why not look somewhere where you can get the complete set up, so that you can deal with one person

Because quite often a 'package' will have one expensive item for every bargain one. Shopping around different retailers allows the purchaser to 'cherry pick' the best bargains without getting any sour lemons.

Secondly, having a person-to-person relationship with the seller is invaluable... both for initial purchasing advice and for post-sale care. IMHO, that can be worth far more than a written warranty (providing you judge the sellers' character correctly and it is a genuine relationship). That doesn't mean that X, Y or Z online 'mega-sales' websites won't offer good prices or a robust warranty... you just won't get the same depth of advice or care.

Thirdly, most 'packages' are from single-manufacturers. We all know that different brands excel at different items within the range of equipment. I'd buy an Apeks reg, but not an Apeks wing. I'd buy a Mares mask, but would avoid their regs. etc etc

Lastly, let's not attack Jim... or anyone else who volunteers their personal time and effort to lend their experience on the forum. Without such involvement, the board would be a much less beneficial place for novice divers to visit.

Thanks for the advice everyone, definitely some things to consider. A few points I didn't mention:

- when I said 'flexible', I guess my upper limit would be around $1500 for gear.
- I already have a 7mm wetsuit, mask, snorkel, fins, weight belt (some weights, but not enough...), boots, gloves, hood, etc. The water I dive in is anywhere from 55F-75F, depending on the time of year (May-Sept/Oct) and the location. The 7mm suit does a decent job keeping me warm.
- I've considered my LDS for sure, they've been fantastic, and they have a spring sale every year. I'm just biding my time, doing some research and trying to get opinions on gear and shops first. I mean, there's no way I'll be diving before May, so I got lots of time.
- I don't plan on travel with the gear at this moment.

Question...will a LDS be able to service any particular brand of gear, or only a select few brands? Or does that depend on the shop itself (i.e., varies from LDS to LDS)?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom