Buying own equipment...help please!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So if I go with a back inflating BCD, and a cold water regulator, that at least leaves my options open for drysuit and possibly ice diving in the future, correct?
Correct. IMO you will prefer the back inflation anyway. (Yes, I know others disagree!)

One thing to be aware of if you buy regs from the US is that the gauges will be in Imperial units not metric units. Computers usually allow you to change between Imperial and metric so shouldn't be a problem for you.

Shop around and you can accomplish you goal. I bought everything except tanks from not only my LDS but also online for me and my wife and I spent right at $2,000. Me and my wife only have 7 dives under our belt, but we like going to the springs and not all of them rent gear, and knowing that people urinate in their wet suits I decided buying my own was the way to go. You can go all out and spend tons of money for the top of the line. I got a great deal through Leisure Pro. I went to the LDS to buy mask fins and snorkel and spent $500 for both of us. We didn't have any help as the LDS I went to wasn't very helpful both times I went there. Leisure Pro was excellent, I bought a package deal for my wife's wet suit and it didn't fit to well so we sent it back and had all the funds credited within a couple of days.

Earlier I had some information about packages. Here is another factor to consider.

A number of scuba vendors have minimum prices for their equipment, meaning that shops cannot charge less than a specified amount. This prevents them from competing in price. Some shops get around this through packaging. By creating a package with a certain total price, it is hard to pinpoint exactly what you are paying for a one piece of it. Technically speaking, you are paying that minimum price for the big ticket items in the package and getting the doodads for nearly free, but in reality they are discounting the big ticket items below the minimum price. It can therefore be a good deal for you if you are happy to have the doodads.

I happened to see this on EBay, it is a heck of a deal considering you get an AI computer, reg, and BC for $400. This is selling for what most charge for just the BC. Anyway take a look. Heck I'm tempted to buy it and resell it.... :D

Zeagle Stiletto BC XL with regulator set | eBay

As a new diver, I agree with checking with your local dive shop. Most places I know will give you a price break if you can show them products at cheaper prices online. Here's why the local dive shop is a good place to buy:
1) It keeps them in business
2) You can't get air fills from the internet, so if the local shop goes out of business, you can't dive anyway.
3) They can service what they sell.
4) They will be able to point you in the right direction with what gear you need.

Here are some reasons to avoid Craigslist and other online sites with used gear:
1) As a newbie, you have no clue what is good gear and what is crap that someone found in their garage.
2) Most of the stuff I've seen on Craigslist is unserviceable. (I saw someone with a Dacor BCD from the 80's and they claimed is was a good BCD in great shape...:confused:)
3) Beware of scams and the Craigslist killer!!

(I saw someone with a Dacor BCD from the 80's and they claimed is was a good BCD in great shape...:confused:)

so, enlighten me - there are little to no parts to a BCD that are proprietary - and if it is unused or little used, what is wrong with the statement you have seemed to take offence with? I can show you a Dacor BC from 1992 that is nearly mint - I own it, and was the original purchaser... Has over 100 dives on it, and still is going strong... It does what it is supposed to - hold air.. hmmm how novel...

Next, you will be telling me that new regs from my LDS are the only way to go because "its life support"....

Easy on the kool-aid....

I think i read that you wanted to buy a tank. I'd advise against that. I learned to dive here in the Philippines, a third world country in some minds. I retired here a year ago. I was born, raised and spent my entire career in the US. My advice is based on where I live and where I came from.

I alway rent tanks filled. I have about 80 dives under my belt at two dive operations here and, here in the Philippines, I haven't even had a hint of a problem. One motivation for buying a tank might be that "at least i know i have a good tank." There really are no bad tanks; bad air is a much more common occurence...and even that isn't common from reputable sources. Rental tanks full of good air is the way to go here. No reason to schlep a 30 pound lump of metal around. FWIW, the dive shop i use the most has even offered to store my weight belt and weights in the shop...taking 8 pounds off the dive bag i have to drag back and forth.
All the other stuff you mentioned makes sense to own and asking around...including here is a good way to get decent advice. I think you can squeak by for under a 'thou' for the dive comp, reg/octo and bcd but it would be tight. You don't need a state-of-the art comp and you don't need the latest, greatest reg/octo. You wear your bcd, though, and its fit and ease of operation will make the difference between easy, competent dives and dives where you are constantly 'fiddling' because your bcd doesn't fit/feel right.

I agree with (mildly) sgl. The combination of being a newbie and buying dive equipment (some of which is life support in the most classic sense of the word) from anyone other than a dealer could be a hornets nest. I think after a few months of diving and "chewin the fat" with some experienced divers, you will realize that buying a dive knife off of craigslist might be reasonable, but buying a reg for over 500 dollars may not be the hot ticket. I don't think buying a bcd on line from a reputable source is risky, but (even though it only holds air) buying a bcd from an online private sale comes with risks (like the bcd NOT doing the "simple" job of holding air).

Wow. I'm a fairly new diver, just about 80 dives into the sport so far, but I am fairly conversant with equipment and prices. The adage...' if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is' ...may be at work here. Or it could be some newbie with a fat wallet, got into the sport and didn't want to rent, bought that we see here, and just wants to avoid what would be over a $1,000 total loss. Even with the cost of servicing....unless the entire rig was run over by a mack truck, would still make this something where possession of said articles could get you 3 to 5 in the state pen.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom