Buying own equipment...help please!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kdsmithjr, you're a lucky man. Davao is beautiful. I almost bought a lot on that island...Samal?...I can't remember the name... right off the city there back in.....man....1989 or so?

Regarding tanks. I lived in Iloilo and there was really no option. We had our own compressor (my buddy did) and tanks. There were no shops around. Same here. I have to drive 30 miles round trip and wait for a boat for....who knows?....over an hour most times and pay US$10 bucks per day for the tanks. It's never less than two days to rent because of logistics.
So I got my own compressor and tanks here too.
Davao....ya man. So lush and green. No typhoons....

Last edited:
Just an update, I ended up going with my LDS in the end. Bought Sherwood regs/octo/computer/BCD (jacket)...the prices weren't too bad compared to online shop, but I justified the extra cost by having the convenience of servicing right there locally. I did end up spending a little more than anticipated, but overall I'm pleased with what I got. I was torn between the jacket and back inflate BCD, but for my first set of gear, went for a basic familiar setup, it can always be changed later. Hope I like what I got! Thanks again for the help from everyone.

Hello fellow Ottawa diver. I'm also in the process of gearing up. I've spent some time in Roatan diving rental equipment (with my own mask), but have been shopping around for my own. The folks at both the popular LDS's in Ottawa have been great. They each have their preferences, obviously based on the products they carry; but they've all been very helpful and supportive in my search for the better prices. I found a used Zeagle here on SB, and they've helped me inspect it to make sure it's in top shape (and it is). I've been holding back on buying my regs because I have other expensive hobbies, but I'll soon be headed to the LDS for that purchase. I figure if they've been able to be so helpful and patient with me - even if I bought elsewhere - they deserve my patronage for my next purchase.

Hi Guys,

I was in the same boat as you last year as I also bought all my gear. I started renting, but it was getting a pain in the butt, so I decided to Buy. I too look at online and the prices were way better but in the end, I bought at my LDS for the fact if there is an issue, then it can go back to the shop fast. I bought my computer on-line at a popular discount store and it broke 1 month after I got it in Samana, DR. It was a pain to deal with the warranty, customs and getting it back.

One thing they don't tel you in the course is that diving is expensive. Welll there is always something I want but every year there is maintenance on the reg, tanks but the fun out weights all that. Enjoy your equipment !!!! Maybe we will cross path in the St-Lawrence....

Dan

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom