Changing Apeks XTX 50 from yoke to DIN?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I only know that the apeks works well. I also know that for less than $100 to convert with factory parts I wouldn't risk my personal breathing gas supply by not using factory parts. Call me crazy.

Not crazy. A bit irrational; but not crazy.

After all, using another brand adapter on a standard fitting would be like using an aftermarket key blank to have a key made for your car. Do you think the brakes will still work?

Key blanks? What's wrong with your RF transmitter?

---------- Post added March 7th, 2014 at 10:29 PM ----------

And I'm assuming that you have never seen a less expensive, non branded part built to "standard specs" have sub par tolerances.

I'll spend the extra $45 for my personal gas supply. After pricing all the other pieces in my kit, $45 is a non issue.

That 1/4" can be enough, it also depends where the tank is situated. Down low can help. Often it will only come into contact when you look up.

I'm just packing to depart for Belize in an hour... And taking my adapter for my DS4 first stage. The adapter is a pain in the cranium. I'm not measuring it, but I'd say it moves the first stage out about 3/4" or close to it. They work, but it ain't pretty.

The little place I'm going has DIN tanks, so I'm hoping I won't need it.

The DIN setup is WAY better than the yoke... more compact, less entanglement options, safer and... well that's enough. Eventually North America will join the rest of the world and go DIN...

And to confirm, the conversion is simple.

I had Yoke, but going to tech made me convert all my regulators to DIN. Never regreted it and will not change them back to yoke ever (even though I still have the yoke fittings). All my gear is now DIN and all cylinders have DIN valves with inserts.

Yes have 2 converters (non genuine) and they are fine to use if I really need to. Only used them once since when I dived at an obscure dive site at Tonga and they had some very old cylinders and a heap of people there so to fit in I used the converters to allow others to use DIN.

What I have found is that most dive places now have all DIN valves with inserts so it doesn't really matter if you have yoke or DIN, they can accommodate both.

I don't see it as a fuss, yes the converter may move it closer to your head, but if you only use the converters on the odd occasion its no big deal, and its not like you are hitting your head all the time anyway. I have never had a problem with them.

The conversion is easy and I did all mine no problem at all. Take the Yoke out, screw the DIN in. Done.

All primary regulators now (I believe) are a standard body with either DIN or yoke fitting attached depending on what you want. Same with the pressure rating I suspect all regulator bodies are now are all 300 BAR rated and the valve fitting (DIN 300 BAR, DIN 232 BAR or Yoke 232 BAR) set the regulator pressure rating. This makes manufacture cheaper than making several variants of the same regulator body. All my regulators have 300 BAR stamped on the body but 232 BAR on the old yoke fitting.

For the most part DIN to Yoke adapter, screws onto the DIN threads to connect to a yoke tank, are standard items. Price is the only real difference. Today no SCUBA equipment manufacturer can afford to produce inferior or substandard equipment for liability reasons.
The DIN to yoke adapter can create a place for a possible leak if the adapter is not screwed onto the threads of the din connection tightly or comes loose.

Hmm... A lot to think about. I agree that the extra $45 is not alot compared to my kit but also for something I do not plan to use often. Maybe it wouldn't hurt to save.Then again I don't want to risk my life being cheap. I'll try to find out if its just a different name brand. The shops sells mostly scuba pro and UTD so it could possibly be one of those in which case I'd assume its just as good as the Apeks.

I wear mechanix wear gloves instead of the dive gloves that don't last. I wear chuck taylors instead of much more expensive dive boots that aren't as comfortable or any better performing. The webbing that is on my harness doesn't have a name brand.

The parts that go in my gas supply, will have a name brand that I trust and respect. If all parts were truly created equal, I don't think that we would buy apeks or scuba pro regs to begin with.

I wear mechanix wear gloves instead of the dive gloves that don't last. I wear chuck taylors instead of much more expensive dive boots that aren't as comfortable or any better performing. The webbing that is on my harness doesn't have a name brand.

The parts that go in my gas supply, will have a name brand that I trust and respect. If all parts were truly created equal, I don't think that we would buy apeks or scuba pro regs to begin with.

The real issue here is how much difference in price compared to the difference in quality (if any).

I would argue that a K to DIN converter may be twice the price for the name brand over a generic however there is not twice the quality difference or even 10% more difference. We have been conditioned to think if its twice the price, it must be much better, therefor worth the extra. A good marketing ploy, however quite often not of much substance.

That's not to say that the $5 special will meet all the requirements for use. I try and buy mid price which is an affordable item and yet has reasonable functionality and quality.

The old saying "A fool and their money are soon parted" seems appropriate here.

I see kids walking around with $200-$400 sun glasses, and yet I wear $25-$40. I would defy anyone to tell me how the quality can be 10x better for the higher priced glasses.

In the main it would seem to me that the majority of manufactured diving products are of sufficient quality to meet reasonable industry standards. There are always a few dodgy ones, but most are reasonable. I have mid priced regs worth about $190 each, and a mate has $600 top of the range. Yes his breath lighter, but in my opinion they are not worth 3 times the price. The cost to manufacture is similar but they are 3 times the price. They may be 10-20% better?

Some people like to have bragging rights and love demonstrating how good a diver they are by the price tag on their gear. For me the proof is in the eating of the pudding, not the buying of it. Show me their skills as proof not a price tag, one cannot buy skill and ability. They might look s*^t hot when they gear up, but still look the fool in the water when they flail around like a drowning rat.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom