Changing Apeks XTX 50 from yoke to DIN?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Drowned rats flailing around showing off with their expensive shiny gear. Damn those people that buy a balanced smooth breathing reg set when they could have saved some money.

Ok, back to the OP. Lots of lovely, witty internet banter has been pushed around here. Of course my favorites are always the "better than thou" group that offer no actual answer or discussion to the actual topic.

What ever decision you make, go get it wet. Safe diving.

I picked my Apeks regs up from annual service today. While there, I asked the question - how much to convert.?

The response was that I would need to spend $249: $149 for the conversion, and $100 for an adapter.

Personally I think I would rather spend $65 @ LP and keep the existing parts. Pretty simple to do a swap if I am diving where I need yoke.

Key blanks? What's wrong with your RF transmitter?

---------- Post added March 7th, 2014 at 10:29 PM ----------

And I'm assuming that you have never seen a less expensive, non branded part built to "standard specs" have sub par tolerances.

I'll spend the extra $45 for my personal gas supply. After pricing all the other pieces in my kit, $45 is a non issue.

Drowned rats flailing around showing off with their expensive shiny gear. Damn those people that buy a balanced smooth breathing reg set when they could have saved some money.

Ok, back to the OP. Lots of lovely, witty internet banter has been pushed around here. Of course my favorites are always the "better than thou" group that offer no actual answer or discussion to the actual topic.

What ever decision you make, go get it wet. Safe diving.

Says he who is also off topic?

Branded or generic?
Generic antibiotic or similar work just as well.
EPDM or Nitrile O-ring for Apeks reg? I use Apeks service kit but keep various nitrile O-rings for field repair. To be honest the EPDM O-rings seem to last much longer than its nitrile counter. But they are not readily available in this part of the world!!
If I have to convert my reg, I will use genuine parts only.

The kits I bought for my Oceanic CDX-5 were genuine, simply because that's all I could find. However from Oceanic dealers they were about $110 per kit. I got them for $75 from I think leisurepro, but similar kits for most other common brand regs are available for around $25-$35 (scubapro being one brand that was much cheaper and a recognised brand). Again, I believe manufacture costs are very very similar with all brands (after all they are simply a threaded tube with a few O rings and filter, to change them from K to DIN).

Not a lot in them, yet they range in price from $25-$110 depending on brand.

Last edited:
I am bit confused over what is being discussed. If we are talking about the conversion kit I would certainly recommend the genuine Apeks kit. I don't think you will save a significant sum of money using a generic part. If we are talking about an adapter then I would purchase the generic one for $30.00 or convert back to yoke when I need to. There is nothing special about this part, the machining is not very complicated.

Ok so to clear everyone up who is confused. I am getting the genuine Apeks Yoke to DIN conversion done. My LDS said they only charge for the parts and not for labor since apparently it only takes 10 min. (I'm not going to complain lol) The question which is still under debate is/was whether or not an Apeks DIN to yoke ADAPTOR is better than the generic one.

Seems like everyone has an opinion and not to disappoint anyone but I'm probably going to spend the extra $45 for the Apeks just because I don't really want to find out the hard way if the generic one is not as good lol

Ok so to clear everyone up who is confused. I am getting the genuine Apeks Yoke to DIN conversion done. My LDS said they only charge for the parts and not for labor since apparently it only takes 10 min. (I'm not going to complain lol) The question which is still under debate is/was whether or not an Apeks DIN to yoke ADAPTOR is better than the generic one.

Seems like everyone has an opinion and not to disappoint anyone but I'm probably going to spend the extra $45 for the Apeks just because I don't really want to find out the hard way if the generic one is not as good lol

For the conversion, it is best to use original parts (although it is interesting to see the differences in prices based on manufacturer and retailer: APEXS 300 bar (4350 psi) DIN Conversion Kit for all APEXS Regulators (Satin Finish) at LeisurePro

For the adapter, it is usually a good opportunity to save some money: Hollis DIN to Yoke Adapter at LeisurePro

In that you are opting for the conversion, you are just a few tools away from being able to switch back and forth when the need arises.

In that you are opting for the conversion, you are just a few tools away from being able to switch back and forth when the need arises.

Are you saying that if I buy the conversion I would not need the adapter because i could just change back and fourth with a tool? if so what tool? or is this something I should just look at my reg to find out lol

Are you saying that if I buy the conversion I would not need the adapter because i could just change back and fourth with a tool? if so what tool? or is this something I should just look at my reg to find out lol

A simple box wrench and a hex key.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom