Custom Divers S40 "Dog Bone" Back Plate

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

couldn't trust it? It's basically the same as all of the plastic plates in all of the standard stab jacket BC's on the market.... Also was used for decades for single tank diving before BC's were invented..... They work very very well, though putting wings on them can be a bit interesting, but many vintage guys using double hoses just use the plate itself and no wing when diving in Bonaire and similar type places where you're doing single tank diving without wetsuits and don't need a wing.

Gotcha. I didn't know. My comment was based on thinking it was probably molded Chi-com garbage* (at such a low price). Regardless though, I'm not interested in them at this point.

*Not bashing Piranha Dive in any way. Great company.

it's injected molded plastic, whether it is done here *which is actually cheaper believe it or not than China due to lower electricity costs and since the parts are so light shipping is a b1tch*, or made over there, it is the same process that is used to make most other plastic parts that you use every day. They are one of the best things for diving with no exposure protection though since you don't need a wing with them and the hard plates can be a bit uncomfortable due to edges

Been using a DSS Kydex plate for years with 120 steels, stable and durable

The DSS Kydex plate is quite sturdy and a great weight saver for traveling. In warm water, I usually only need 6 or 7 pounds of lead on the cam bands, depending on which suit I'm wearing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Although money isn't an issue, the Kydex plate doesn't interest me at that price. If I was going to use a standard-shaped plate, I would probably stick with my aluminum one.

That $13 plate would be fun to play around with, but I don't think I could trust it without lots of testing.

At this point I'm leaning toward the Golem Stream w/Reversed Profile and skipping the STA.

I would agree with tbone that there should not be anything wrong with the plate. That said, I never seen or used the plate personally, the next time Piranha does a free shipping deal I will order one to check it out. I would have to think it is more sturdy than a fabric plate. But then again plastic can crack but fabric doesn't. Before going with a reverse profile plate I would do a search on them at Scubaboard and the Deco Stop. From what I remember some people had problems with the reverse profile interfering with their wing's built in STA. Also if you need it quick then order early because some people have had problems with Golem Gear. My understanding is that it is a one-man operation and at times the owner gets overwhelmed. Their website hasn't been updated for years.

Before going with a reverse profile plate I would do a search on them at Scubaboard and the Deco Stop. From what I remember some people had problems with the reverse profile interfering with their wing's built in STA.

Interesting. My wings all have built in STA's. I may have to request some measurements as I'm not really looking to buy a new wing just to try the Golem.
Thanks for pointing that out.

I also didn't know about issues with them. I've only heard good things about their products from using the search feature but CS issues didn't come up.

Interesting. My wings all have built in STA's. I may have to request some measurements as I'm not really looking to buy a new wing just to try the Golem.
Thanks for pointing that out.

I also didn't know about issues with them. I've only heard good things about their products from using the search feature but CS issues didn't come up.

You don't need to purchase a new wing just cut the STA out. If your wing has an STA then I am not sure what the advantage of a reverse profile plate is. As far as customer service here is an older thread: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/golem-gear/422154-unprofessional.html. Probably the best advice is call to make sure the item is in stock before ordering.

You don't need to purchase a new wing just cut the STA out. If your wing has an STA then I am not sure what the advantage of a reverse profile plate is. As far as customer service here is an older thread: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/golem-gear/422154-unprofessional.html. Probably the best advice is call to make sure the item is in stock before ordering.

I emailed them 4-5 days ago with a couple simple questions and still haven't heard back. Custom Divers in the UK replied to my email in 3 days.

I really don't want to cut up my wing just to use a reversed profile; they do make a standard profile.

---------- Post added February 4th, 2015 at 03:04 AM ----------

Place an order today:

Called Edd (at Cave Adventures for those who don't know) and got a great deal.

I ordered the OxyCheq SS Travel Plate, Dive Rite Basic, 1.5" crotch strap.

The Golem Stream looked great but, I couldn't get correspondence with the company, customers reported sharp edges, the reversed profile may have had an issue with my current wings, and price was higher with all that included.

The Custom Divers was reasonably priced until you had to add the required STA. Had it had cam band slots I would have jumped on it. CD does make a lightweight STA in Aluminum but it's around $65, bringing the package over $200 with shipping to the US.

The OxyCheq wasn't my first choice but they are readily available (Cave Adventures), known quality, great price, US Made, and I know they are 100% compatible with all the other Oxy stuff I own. This option also provided the best overall value.

Thanks again to everyone who tossed in their $.02.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom