DeepBlu Cosmiq....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hey guys, any news on this? I'll probably wait until my D4i dies, but I'd love to hear more about it, seems ideal for lazy loggers like me.

I didn't see hellhole or antacid's review but someone called antacid posted some details after diving with it for a weekend.

Interesting that it apparently doesn't have audible alarms. I thought I saw someone in this thread say it looked like it had too many?

Hi guys, back from my trip where I got to use the Cosmiq (thanks for KP to loaning the dive comp!) and compared with the Galileo Sol.

Observations
1. Battery went flat during dive 7. Most dives were around 35-50 minutes. I'll go add up the total dive time so it gives you an idea of how long the battery lasts. I did not turn off the Cosmiq during the 3 days (by holding both buttons), and just let it go into standby mode.

2. When the battery is flat the computer just goes blank. After charging, time and date is reset so you will need to adjust those again.

3. When compared with the Sol, the depth was 0.2m less on the Cosmiq. But I think it's a problem with the Galileo as the Cosmiq was the same as the other dive computers (Suunto Stinger, Mosquito)

4. NDL was about the same for both Cosmiq and Galileo.

5. No alarms for Cosmiq - max depth, time. I like to have these alarms as reminders. For example, max depth alarm at 28m, and dive time alarms at 30 min (to check air in the group), and 60 min (you sure there's still air left in the tank?)

6. When set to nitrox, there is a little "N" symbol on the right of the screen. But it is small and easily overlooked. Also, after changing the O2% to anything other than 21%, it did not reset to 21% after 12 hours. Need to confirm from the manual whether this is by design. Most dive comps I've used will reset to 21% after 12 hours as a safety feature.

7. Safety stop timer starts automatically when you go shallower than 7m. Not sure if I like this.

8. Screen is bright and readable, both in the day and night. Has all the important dive information on 1 screen.

OK, that's it. I think for the price, it's pretty good value for most divers. I'd get this over the Zoop. Will be great if there's an option to buy a few extra charging cables in case you lose one!

I have one on order. I'm hoping to post a comprehensive review at some point. It's been processing since August 2nd so I doubt it will get here before my trip to Mexico this upcoming week but I'll run it through it paces locally.

I think the item he highlighted in #6 is a good thing. A computer changing your gas settings on its own? Not something I'd want. I wonder if he didn't have audible alarms disabled by mistake. I read several places now that this thing was supposed to have audible alarms... or maybe I misread.

It's interesting that the person posting on that other forum seems to like the automatic changing of your gas mix. I thought pretty much everybody thought such a thing was a bad idea. Obviously not.

An O2 sensor in non rebreather dive computers would be a nice feature. I wonder if any manufacturer will ever offer such an option.

Last edited:
I think my Petrel does that same thing and will change the gas back to Air after a set amount of inactivity. This is in Rec Mode and the last dive I did was with Nx31 and when I went to check it the other day to make sure it was set back to Air (as a safety measure) it already was.

I have one on order. I'm hoping to post a comprehensive review at some point. It's been processing since August 2nd so I doubt it will get here before my trip to Mexico this upcoming week but I'll run it through it paces locally.

Yeah, I have a Barbados trip planned for early November, so I am not nearly in as much of a hurry as you to get one; however, whichever DC I get, I would like to get some dives with it for familiarity before the actual trip.

Right now, it's down to either the Veo 3.0 for $275 or Cosmiq for $299. After watching a couple of videos and reading some user reviews, seems that Cosmiq is quite a bit more intuitive/user-friendly than a "traditional?" DC like the Veo.

I wonder if he didn't have audible alarms disabled by mistake. I read several places now that this thing was supposed to have audible alarms... or maybe I misread.

Yeah it seems as he may have had the alarms turned off, as according to the DeepBlu website, Cosmiq has the following alarms:

Audible/ Visual Alarms
  • Ascent rate warning
  • No decompression limit warning
  • No decompression limit violation
  • Decompression stop required
  • Maximum dive depth and dive time alarm
  • Central nervous system (CNS) exposure

UPDATE: Got a shipping notice from DHL that my DeepBlu Cosmiq is arriving by Wednesday. I'll use it for about 9 days in Mexico with my Shearwater provided Delta can get their act together. :)

I think my Petrel does that same thing and will change the gas back to Air after a set amount of inactivity. This is in Rec Mode and the last dive I did was with Nx31 and when I went to check it the other day to make sure it was set back to Air (as a safety measure) it already was.
I have two petrel. I have my backup in OC REC mode just because I wanted to compare the displays when I first got them. I checked the online manual and went and fired up mine to see if the settings were there. The gasses appear to be the same as when I last used them about a month ago.

Do you have a petrel 2? Maybe that's something that changed. Mine are both petrel 1.

Mine is a Petrel 2. I will check by changing my gas and then shutting off and checking tomorrow. I also did not see anything in the manual that says it will do that but I can see the safety aspect of it. You "forget" to check your gas and you do a 100' dive on Nx32 but you really have Air in your tank and you are going to have some problems. This does not take away from the fact you are ALWAYS suppose to check not only your breathing gas before you dive but also your computer settings.

Mine is a Petrel 2. I will check by changing my gas and then shutting off and checking tomorrow. I also did not see anything in the manual that says it will do that but I can see the safety aspect of it. You "forget" to check your gas and you do a 100' dive on Nx32 but you really have Air in your tank and you are going to have some problems. This does not take away from the fact you are ALWAYS suppose to check not only your breathing gas before you dive but also your computer settings.
True, but I'd rather that than the opposite. If I forgot to change the computer setting, dove with a tank of nitrox and the computer reverted to air. I could violate my MOD, tox and die. At least I can survive getting bent.

Now I'm not saying I rely entirely on my computer in that regard, but if I had to choose one of them I think not changing is the lesser of two evils.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom