DeepBlu Cosmiq....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Is data required to do anything with the dive log? Also I guess what bothers me is that it was more conservative than the Zoop, which is very conservative to begin with. Though I suppose that is remedied with "progressive" mode.

In the end, would you say it's worth taking over, for example, a Veo 3 as the first computer for rec diving?

Last edited:
Is data required to do anything with the dive log? Also I guess what bothers me is that it was more conservative than the Zoop, which is very conservative to begin with. Though I suppose that is remedied with "progressive" mode.

In the end, would you say it's worth taking over, for example, a Veo 3 as the first computer for rec diving?

Data is required to upload the log to their server. Else it just sit on the cosmiq till its full and probably get override.

Never used a veo 3, but here are my thoughts on getting it or not.

If u are a social media freak... Get it :) as it allows you to tag location, pictures, etc and share with the whole world.

As a dive comp, it of course works.

If u dive frequently, like every month do 5 dives or more. It will be nice to have a comp that does not need to replace battery and do a pressure test. Esp if u are at a location where it's difficult to do.
Of course sooner or later u gonna have to change that battery in the deelblu... I suspect that could be a couple of years down the road.

If u dive 1 trip or 2 trip a year. It kinda good as you do not have to worry that u have to change the battery as you just need to charge and go. Plus all the setting are smartphone base. Makes it easy to set.

Showed it to the wife, that may be the deciding factor. She is the textbook definition of a social networking freak, can't be without her phone for more than 5 minutes. After looking at both the Cosmiq and the Veo, she almost instantly said Cosmiq. Easy to read, easy to manipulate (via phone)...mainly, not a whole other options that she can "screw up."

She has absolutely zero ambition to dive anything than aquarium-esque tropical waters, while I am hoping to continue down the scuba tree.

I think what we're going to do is she gets the Cosmiq and I get the Veo... And depending on how it plays out, we'll buy another of one or the other. Worst case scenario, if I can't return one of them, we have a backup DC.

The Android AND iPhone apps are extremely buggy and basic. I am hoping they add some new features. I like the form factor of the computer so far (only done two dives on it so far) but not a fan of software yet.

Here's a picture of what it looks like underwater. It's very easy to read although a bit hard to read in direct sunlight on surface. I've already put it in deco multiple times. :) I'll do a full write up but right now it's sort of between an Oceanic and Suunto (obviously very subjective opinion here). I run a Shearwater in 45/95 Gradient Factors which is very aggressive to give you some comparison.
P8191117.jpg P8191120.jpg

Attachments

• P8140770.jpg
    P8140770.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 363
I run a Shearwater in 45/95 Gradient Factors which is very aggressive to give you some comparison.

It's less aggressive than an Oceanic computer using the DSAT algorithm.

It depends on profile and depth to be honest. I typically run a Shearwater alongside an Oceanic with DSAT. Just not on this trip. In general though yes, I find DSAT to be more aggressive/liberal.

In some cases Shearwater will give more time than Oceanic depending on your depth, sometimes even ascending 10ft (3.3m) makes a huge difference. Not so much on square profile. Obviously not always a good idea to ride this.. I should have taken some pictures for comparison.

On this trip the DeepBlu Cosmiq ran out of time and went into deco much sooner than Shearwater. Unfortunately I don't know what the DeepBlu Cosmiq's conservative settings correspond to so it's hard to quantify. According to their documention, the decompression algorithm is based on the Bühlmann ZH-L16C model. Not sure what they have done to modify it or what they might use for gradient factors.

Last edited:

It depends on profile and depth to be honest. I typically run a Shearwater alongside an Oceanic with DSAT. Just not on this trip. In general though yes, I find DSAT to be more aggressive/liberal.

In some cases Shearwater will give more time than Oceanic depending on your depth, sometimes even ascending 10ft (3.3m) makes a huge difference. Not so much on square profile. Obviously not always a good idea to ride this.. I should have taken some pictures for comparison.

On this trip the DeepBlu Cosmiq ran out of time and went into deco much sooner than Shearwater. Unfortunately I don't know what the DeepBlu Cosmiq's conservative settings correspond to so it's hard to quantify. According to their documention, the decompression algorithm is based on the Bühlmann ZH-L16C model. Not sure what they have done to modify it or what they might use for gradient factors.

I relatively recently bought a Dive Rite Nitek Q, mainly to gain experience with Buhlmann ZH-L16C. My primary computer is an Oceanic VT3, pre-dual algorithm, runs only DSAT. I have been diving Oceanic computers running DSAT since 2002, a little over 1150 dives. As @stuartv implies, DSAT is in the aggressive end of the spectrum

As @macado points out, the comparison between DSAT and ZHL is depth dependent, it is also somewhat EAN mix dependent. At relatively shallower depths, 70-80 feet, a GF hi of 95 is the best match for DSAT NDLs. Below this, a GF hi of 100 is the best match for DSAT NDLs. Obviously, GF lo does not kick in until you exceed NDL and go into deco.

I have also been interested in the Deepblu proprietary Buhlmann variant. Oceanic's PZ+ is another example of a proprietary Buhlmann variant. The details of either of these are not in the public domain. The Deepblu "normal" conservative factor algorithm is obviously quite conservative and NDLs from the planning mode have been posted on SB. After bugging them on numerous occasions, Deepblue sent me an evaluation of their computer using the ScubaLab repetitive dive, hyperbaric chamber test. As this information is not otherwise in the public domain, I am uncomfortable in posting it. If Deepblu wants this information to be disseminated, they will make it available or fulfill others requests for it. Suffice it to say that the "progressive" conservative factor algorithm increases NDLs, but appears to remain middle of the road and more conservative than DSAT. From the chamber results, it is difficult to compare to PZ+, some more conservative, some more liberal.

In general, increased transparency with regard to computer performance would benefit us all. I'm not holding my breath, so to speak, for this to happen.

Just got mine today, and hoping to get it wet this weekend. One thing that really attracted me was the display and price.

Something I've noticed though is that temperature sampling when at the surface is a lot warmer than ambient. Sensor must be detecting body temperature.

Something I've noticed though is that temperature sampling when at the surface is a lot warmer than ambient. Sensor must be detecting body temperature.

I've also noticed this. Definitely seems to be picking up body temperature on surface/air. Thankfully in water temperatures have been very constant with my Shearwater and Oceanic.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom