Din Conversion of tanks/regs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mrmonk7663

Contributor
Reaction score
Hey everyone. I am confused on the DIN stuff. I have a Mares Abyss mr22 regulator. It is for yoke style vavles. I also have an aluminum 80 with a yoke k-valve. Now, Can I convert the tank to DIN? I have seen the vavles for like $25 on ebay. Would this be a good idea? If I did that then how would I convert my reg to DIN and where would I get the parts for that? Any good websites that sell the items I need? I know I don't need the DIN but I would like it. Also, I am getting another tank soon that already has the DIN valve so the reg needs to be changed for sure in the near future. Thanks yall. If anyone could set me straight on this I would appreciate it.

Michael Reese

Hi Michael. You need to purchase a DIN converter from a Mares dealer - they will have or can order one for the MR-22. I don't know if it's the same for other Mares regs too. Offhand they're usually the plus side of $50 or so.

If you buy it at your LDS, they'll be able to put it on for you. I know for my Apeks regs, switching from DIN to Yoke takes about 30 seconds and can be accomplished with a moderately trained monkey, but I'm not familiar with the conversion process for a Mares reg.

Converting your tank to DIN is even simpler. Unscrew Yoke valve, screw in DIN valve. You're done. You obviously need to drain the tank first, and if your tank is due for a visual, that's the easiest time to switch it around. Some shops may insist on a fresh vis anyway before they refill the tank.

If you think you'll be diving it with either DIN or Yoke regs, you can get convertible valves which have a screw in insert which allows you to use a Yoke Reg on a DIN valve.

Alright, so where is the best place to buy the DIN valve for the tank? My tank is an AL 80, do I need a certain din valve? A 200 bar one or what? What about if I want to use Nitrox later, do I need a specific type of DIN vavle for that? Also, by converting my tank and reg to DIN, will this add any additional height to the tank, or no, basically is it going to knock me in my head more? Thanks.

mrmonk7663:
Alright, so where is the best place to buy the DIN valve for the tank? My tank is an AL 80, do I need a certain din valve? A 200 bar one or what? What about if I want to use Nitrox later, do I need a specific type of DIN vavle for that? Also, by converting my tank and reg to DIN, will this add any additional height to the tank, or no, basically is it going to knock me in my head more? Thanks.

You have to be a little careful about what you want here I think.

There are some good reasons to use DIN (a more secure connection to the tank being one of them, or maybe the only tank you have has a DIN connector :)

You really have to look at the problem you are trying to solve.

- If your reg has a DIN setting, but you tank has Yoke, then you can get an adaptor that will do the conversion.
- As the previous poster pointed out, you can also get a new tank valve with a DIN connector (but you still have a yoke connection to the tank so you don't get the more secure connection of DIN I think)
- If your first stage is Yoke but you have a DIN tank, you can (I think) get a convertor , *or* you might be able to permenantly convert the 1st stage to DIN (I just had done with an APEKS reg)
- Some tanks have a valve with a "donut" in them. If the donut is in, the tank has a yoke valve. Unscrew the dunut with an allen/hex wrench and you have a DIN connector (no need to drain tank)

So you really have to consider what you are trying to acheive i think.

I recently switched my first stage to DIN because I got tanks with DIN only valves (PST 102 3500psi) The yoke IMHO is faster to setup and I certainly don't have to worry about crossthreading or anything like that with the yoke setup. It doesn't change where my first stage is. If I had my way I would have stayed with the yoke, its just easier. Now that I have switched, I like it, i do feel that the connection is more secure but it probably doesn't make any difference. If you can (any you most likely can) get a plug to put in your DIN valve so you can use your yoke tanks, that is a whole lot cheaper than switching the valve on your other tank and then getting the conversion kit for your first stage plus labor to have it installed (its easy but think of warranty issues). You won't gain much switching your first stage to DIN so IMHO I would just get a converter plug for that one DIN valve and leave everything else alone, unless of course the tank you are getting is one of the DIN ONLY valves.

Thanks for the responses guys. The tank I will be getting is the Aluminum 106, with the pressure of 4350psi. It comes with the DIN Valve. The tank I have now is an Aluminum 80 with yoke. My reg is a yoke 1st stage. This is my dilemna. Thanks.

You can get a yoke to DIN for the reg for $50.
You can get a new valve for the tank but best to do this part at your LDS. The BAR concern and a new vis is why a LDS should be used.

Justin699:
I recently switched my first stage to DIN because I got tanks with DIN only valves (PST 102 3500psi) The yoke IMHO is faster to setup and I certainly don't have to worry about crossthreading or anything like that with the yoke setup. It doesn't change where my first stage is. If I had my way I would have stayed with the yoke, its just easier. Now that I have switched, I like it, i do feel that the connection is more secure but it probably doesn't make any difference. If you can (any you most likely can) get a plug to put in your DIN valve so you can use your yoke tanks, that is a whole lot cheaper than switching the valve on your other tank and then getting the conversion kit for your first stage plus labor to have it installed (its easy but think of warranty issues). You won't gain much switching your first stage to DIN so IMHO I would just get a converter plug for that one DIN valve and leave everything else alone, unless of course the tank you are getting is one of the DIN ONLY valves.

I thought the PST's came with the Yoke/DIN donut valve (mine did)
I think for over 3500 PSI you probably need DIN but up to 3400 or so yoke is fine (although a store here refused to fill my tank to 3400 PSI with yoke but would with DIN)

Really... Why? Are there any safety issues only to use DIN for high pressure refill?

BTW, I agree with Justin699. If you plan only to use your own tanks, either set up is fine after being switched. But, if you are a frequent dive traveler, Yoke set up is a pretty much standard for the rental gear. Beyond the sports diving, you need to buy additional reg and manifold with DIN setup, so it is going to be a totally different story. Be simple!

limeyx:
I thought the PST's came with the Yoke/DIN donut valve (mine did)
I think for over 3500 PSI you probably need DIN but up to 3400 or so yoke is fine (although a store here refused to fill my tank to 3400 PSI with yoke but would with DIN)

mrmonk7663:
Thanks for the responses guys. The tank I will be getting is the Aluminum 106, with the pressure of 4350psi. It comes with the DIN Valve. The tank I have now is an Aluminum 80 with yoke. My reg is a yoke 1st stage. This is my dilemna. Thanks.

A) You shouldn't be handling 4,000 psi with a Yoke connection on your reg - it's not secure enough, nor will it be rated to handle that pressure.

B) I doubt that you will be able to get fills for a tank of that pressure. I know the max capacity for most places around here is just over 3,600 psi.

C) To be clear, my earlier post I was referring to a DIN CONVERTER, not an adapter. An adapter leaves the existing yoke connection in place and is an add-on piece which allows you to screw into a DIN tank, a converter is the piece you need to permanently convert your reg.

Personally, I'd permanently switch the reg to DIN, get a convertible yoke/din valve for your 'regular' tanks, and seriously reconsider this AL106 purchase.

Back
Top Bottom