Din Conversion of tanks/regs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So you are saying don't the get Al 106 as the pressue is so high and it will be hard to get filled? I want something bigger than an 80, but I don't want it to be taller. I would love to stay with aluminum. Michael

mrmonk7663:
So you are saying don't the get Al 106 as the pressue is so high and it will be hard to get filled? I want something bigger than an 80, but I don't want it to be taller. I would love to stay with aluminum. Michael

Why? Get an E7-100. Slightly smaller than an AL80, holds more air, and is negatively bouyant, meaning you can take 5 lbs off your weightbelt. Plus, it will last forever. Aluminum is essentially disposable.

Is the E-100 a PST steel tank? If so,why would you choose that over the E-8 119 out of curiosity? Also, do you have any clue how much the E-7 100 weighs emtpy? Thanks.

limeyx:
I thought the PST's came with the Yoke/DIN donut valve (mine did)
I think for over 3500 PSI you probably need DIN but up to 3400 or so yoke is fine (although a store here refused to fill my tank to 3400 PSI with yoke but would with DIN)

My PST 102's are 3500 psi (original hydro Y2k) and use the 7/8x14 thread valve that is DIN only, it has 7 threads instead of 5 to ensure you don't use a yoke adapter in there, the pressure is too high. The cutoff is somewhere just below 3500 psi, hence why newer PST tanks are 344x psi

Mr. Monk, My PST 102's (not made anymore) are about the same size as an AL80, they just hold more air, and are negative. You certainly don't want to put a yoke on 4000+ psi, in fact I doubt you can get a valve that will let you do that, just like the thermo valves on my tanks that have special threads, just so some idiot doesn't try to put a yoke on them.

http://www.scubaboard.com/showpost.php?p=1037894&postcount=1
Valve #2 is the one I use.

Who the heck makes this 4350 psi aluminum tank, when was the original hydro date? Is it in current hydro and visual, remember aluminum tanks are more prone to fatigue due to the metal properties. A tank at that pressure (assuming anyone will fill it that high) will make a big kabloooey of your garage/house/neighborhood etc.

mrmonk7663:
Is the E-100 a PST steel tank? If so,why would you choose that over the E-8 119 out of curiosity? Also, do you have any clue how much the E-7 100 weighs emtpy? Thanks.

The E7-100 is made by the same folks - PST. The reason you'd use it over an E8-119 are because it's smaller than an AL80, lighter than an AL80, and holds more air than an AL80. Pretty tough combo to beat.

Boogie711:
The E7-100 is made by the same folks - PST. The reason you'd use it over an E8-119 are because it's smaller than an AL80, lighter than an AL80, and holds more air than an AL80. Pretty tough combo to beat.

Yeah, it's hard to beat -- but it can be problematic getting it filled to 3400 esp on boats. but then even with 3000 it's still more air than an AL80...

mrmonk7663:
What about this, would this be what I need for my tank? This way I could still use my yoke style 1st stage until I could convert? http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=1300&item=7149940793&rd=1 Thanks.

It honestly depends I guess.
If you fill to more than 3400 PSI then you need DIN on reg 1st stage, AND tank.
No "converters" because they still have a yoke connection between them.

For less than 3400 PSI then yoke is fine.

If you have a PST tank then the Valve should have the "donut" inside it. This allows the tank to be either DIN or Yoke just by using a hex wrench and removing the center portion of the valve (where you'd normally connect the yoke/A-clamp)

You can also (depending on the reg maybe?) get the 1st stage converted from Yoke to DIN (cost me $60 for APEKS) this is not an "adaptor" but a real conversion of 1st stage to a proper DIN connector. THis may not be possible with all types of regs, I don't really know but I think you can do it with Scubapro

So like I said, it depends what you are trying to acheive.

mrmonk7663:
What about this, would this be what I need for my tank? This way I could still use my yoke style 1st stage until I could convert? http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=1300&item=7149940793&rd=1 Thanks.

On this ebay item, the text says 3,300 PSI, but if you look at the pic, then
it says 3,000 PSI.

Just FYI. In my humble opinion, putting a 3,000 PSI valve on DIN and paying the money to convert your regulator and your valve is just spending money for the same PSI in the same tank. (unless all your other tanks are already DIN).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom