dir or not dir

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DIR or not DIR; in the end I learned alot about o-ring seals and manifolds.

I also liked Jarheads little story about the end of the world. Much wisdom there for all of us.

Hmm

Not sure I want to get involved in this one but here goes.

While I understand your point on the barrel style manifold being able to roll, I do hope you realize it is the most dangerous as far a an o-ring being able to extrude from the barrel under high pressure. The OMS has a captured o-ring (as does a 300 BAR DIN) and cannot extrude.
Next is the original DIN manifold that was sold by Sherwood that was designed by a company that specialized in high pressure equipment. That manifold is really the only true high pressure manifold by design ever made.

Now, I own and dive, all 3 styles of manifolds and have never had a problem with any of them. I Ice dive, Wreck dive and Cave dive.
Special note: I only use Highland tank bands. There are no bands better made. Even Extreme Exposure sells them.

As far as the manifold being able to roll if you hit something hard I.E. scootering!!
?? You should not be hitting anything that hard! If an area is that small you should not be going that fast to begin with.

Later

Kvdivr

Originally posted by KVDIVR
Hmm

Not sure I want to get involved in this one but here goes.

While I understand your point on the barrel style manifold being able to roll, I do hope you realize it is the most dangerous as far a an o-ring being able to extrude from the barrel under high pressure. The OMS has a captured o-ring (as does a 300 BAR DIN) and cannot extrude.
Next is the original DIN manifold that was sold by Sherwood that was designed by a company that specialized in high pressure equipment. That manifold is really the only true high pressure manifold by design ever made.

Now, I own and dive, all 3 styles of manifolds and have never had a problem with any of them. I Ice dive, Wreck dive and Cave dive.
Special note: I only use Highland tank bands. There are no bands better made. Even Extreme Exposure sells them.

As far as the manifold being able to roll if you hit something hard I.E. scootering!!
?? You should not be hitting anything that hard! If an area is that small you should not be going that fast to begin with.

Later

Kvdivr
It really wasn't that tight an area I was slightly distracted and just misjudged how close I was. That was many years ago when I really didn't have that much experience using scooters... Now whenever I'm near anything I don't take my eyes off my direction of travel...

Just patiently waiting for someone to answer the man's original question... And noting what the responses were to that question. Were the wounds self inflicted??? You would say yes, and I would disagree. However, you would probably say that Scuba_guy inflicted his own wounds by having the temerity to ask a simple question that you have provided no answers for... only a theory and LOTS of invective.

It's like the lightbulb joke...

How many of youse guys does it take to answer a simple question... It's either

1) Yes, we have data! Here it is...

or

2) No, we don't have data! But we still believe in omar's theory.

So, don't get your panties in a wad with more name calling, just answer the question. I would be happy with either answer. Or would you just prefer that I leave?

Originally posted by omar
So petey,

I see that you're back from licking your self inflicted wounds and stirring the pot again. I think that you need to give it a rest as well.

omar

my question was answered. i will go with the barrel type manifold. i wish DIR would have talked about the "why's" for using certain gear... or if they do i never found it.

Originally posted by scuba_guy
i wish DIR would have talked about the "why's" for using certain gear... or if they do i never found it.

Sign up for the DIRquest list and read the archives. You should find a lot of "why's" in the different postings in the archives. If you don't find it, ask george. He should tell you....

my question was answered. i will go with the barrel type manifold. i wish DIR would have talked about the "why's" for using certain gear... or if they do i never found it.
scuba_guy...
Congratulations on persevering...

I have invested physical, mental and emotional capital far beyond mere $$$ to push through with my GUE tech training... it hasn't been easy... and the answers to the questions didn't come easy either. Somethings you just have to see things in action to understand.

Even today I learned the reason why such and such had to be so and so.

If you can find one... (and more are coming all the time)... take a DIRF... even if you have to travel to do it.

i've looked at dirquest. and sorry but i'm not about to pay to chat, ask questions, or look up things. i don't think people who are getting into diving or expanding there skills should have to pay to find out about things. As an instructor i would not want to have to charge students if they had a question to ask me.
As for the DIRF course, honestly unless i see someone who has taken it and see that they are a better diver then me,.. well i'll have to wait. From wreck diving and underwater photography. my bouyancy skills seem to be pretty good. Mask skills.. where we dive the water temp is 40-50F where we teach classes. With that temp you get good at doing them right the first time.

Mask skills.. where we dive the water temp is 40-50F where we teach classes. With that temp you get good at doing them right the first time.
This makes no sense. I dive in 38 degF every week and we practice mask skills at least once every weekend. Just because the water is cool is no excuse not practice this skill.

In fact, I have noticed that the colder the water, the greater the upset to buoyancy, breathing rate, and comfort level when doing a mask drill. The more experience with this the better one is able to deal with it if it happens unexpectedly.

omar

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom