Dive watches

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I dive with a computer and a Timex Ironman 100m ($45). You may not want to push all the buttons at 100 ft. but to just tell time it works fine.....and has BIG numbers.

I had a Timex Ironman for about 20 years, and it worked great as a timer for diving... until the time I forgot to start the timer at the surface. I pressed the button at 45 feet, and it was gone forever.

Normally I just take my daily-wear watch with me when I dive as my backup. (I can't wear it, but I generally take it with me anyway.)

Any suggestions on Dive watches? What features/functions are usefull and whats useless? I been looking online and am suffering from information overload. If you could get any watch, what would you get?

I have a Poseidon Professional 500M diving watch with a yellow face. It costs about $100 three years ago. It does not have any useless features/functions. You will not get an information overload from this watch. It has a bezel for setting the starting time of the dive.

This watch is my backup, I'm using a wrist computer as well.

When I started diving in '91, I had a $59 Timex blue face (which 'bout broke my bank) It was a great watch, but finally gave out 3-4 years ago. I sent it back to Timex and they returned it as un-repairable and sent a CHEAP replacement with a bill for $20. Timex only sells throw away trash now; personally, I wouldn't dive with one.

I just went through this same information overload, but I stuck with it and started looking at the watches that I thought "looked" cool. Then, I threw out all the ones that weren't up to snuff as far as depth rating, screw-down crown, dial/digital, numbers/dashes, date window, and band selection.

I ended up with a St. Moritz, M1 Momentum. Even though I haven't been diving with it yet, just looking at it and telling time on a day-day basis, I'm very pleased so far. I'll be diving this weekend, so maybe I'll still be pleased next Monday.

When I started diving in '91, I had a $59 Timex blue face (which 'bout broke my bank) It was a great watch, but finally gave out 3-4 years ago. I sent it back to Timex and they returned it as un-repairable and sent a CHEAP replacement with a bill for $20. Timex only sells throw away trash now; personally, I wouldn't dive with one.

I just went through this same information overload, but I stuck with it and started looking at the watches that I thought "looked" cool. Then, I threw out all the ones that weren't up to snuff as far as depth rating, screw-down crown, dial/digital, numbers/dashes, date window, and band selection.

I ended up with a St. Moritz, M1 Momentum. Even though I haven't been diving with it yet, just looking at it and telling time on a day-day basis, I'm very pleased so far. I'll be diving this weekend, so maybe I'll still be pleased next Monday.

I also have this watch, and am happy with it. I often use my Casio G-shock when diving though.

Any suggestions on Dive watches? What features/functions are usefull and whats useless? I been looking online and am suffering from information overload. If you could get any watch, what would you get?

No one can beat this watch(link below) for price(under $30 to your door) nor use for diving.....Only watch I've used for diving since about '88 or '89---Have now owned 3 in that time frame and highly recommend it for diving.........

Amazon.com: Casio Men's Alarm Chronograph Shock Resistant Sport Watch #DW290-1V: Jewelry

One of my divers amongst others...

GSAR9.jpg

:14:

I dive sometimes with a Rolex Submariner. Other times I use a Blackwater copy of the Viet Nam Benrus (nice watch and accurate). My main watch is a Marathon SAR at about $500. Very good dive watch. I hate electric watches and only wear mechanical ones. The Marathon has been all over the Pacific and never missed a beat.

yup .... the casio is a great watch but has small numbers. Old guys like me find it useless without a prescription mask or gauge readers. So .... I wear one of these:
Amazon.com: Timex Men's Ironman Triathlon 100-Lap FLIX System Watch #T5E261: Watches

The numbers are 10mm (a little more than 3/8") high. I can read it in air without my +1.75 reading glasses.

Depends upon your distance Rx.....: I'm plano O.U. with a +2.25 add O.U. and read this watch UW with ease.........No(or very little) accomodation left @ age almost 56 but with the UW magnification, still can use this watch perfectly ie change modes accurately and can read the numbers on the stop watch and countdown timer.......

Back
Top Bottom