Diving in Thailand

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

appleseed024

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hey everyone!
I'm brand new to the site, and at the moment I'm looking for as much information and advice as I can.

I've never been scuba diving, but it's something I've ALWAYS wanted to do, and now, living in Thailand, I feel like I finally have that opportunity.

I'm thinking of first doing the Open Water Diver, to be 100% sure it's something I want to do, and then if i end up really liking it (which i'm pretty positive i will) i will perhaps find an internship up to divemaster, and perhaps even instructor.

I was wondering if anyone on here has had any experiences (positive or negative) related to these newbie topics, specifically in the Thailand area.
Can you refer me to any dive companies that you've had a good experience with?
Any other advice for a complete beginner would be much appreciated! Like I said, i'm just trying to research as much as possible to explore my options!
Thanks for reading! Peace~
appleseed024

where in Thailand are you? If you're down south in Phuket contact my good friend down there - he posts on here as Supershark - he'll be able to give you the lowdown on Phuket and you'll be well looked after by him. There's a group of my old friends and former students down there. Take your beer drinking hat with you though! :)

I spent 3 years there and there's plenty of places all over Thailand - it's just picking the *right* place. Koh Tao is very popular but there a still a bunch of cowboys there and the diving is okay but short on vis. Koh Samui comes well recommended but I never went there so I wouldn't like to comment. I avoid Koh Phi Phi like it's a plague island - can't stand it there, but that's just me! I'd love to send you to my old shop in Pattaya - the diving is not so great there, but if you choose to go all the way to instructor then get in touch - top quality education. If you were to meet supershark he'll tell you the same. He should know, I taught him! :D

I know that's not the specific information you wanted but for current info he will be a good source for Phuket. I don't advertise my old school on here (not because of any problems, I just prefer to remain as objective as possible in the public forums) but if you want the lowdown on Pattaya IDCs then give me a buzz.

Cheers

Crowley

that's great! thanks for the reply. I've just sent supershark a message so i hope to hear back soon.
i have heard the same about koh tao, and actually have been looking more into phuket and pattaya... because i have a friend who worked down in phuket for a while, and pattaya because i'm (relatively) close by, only about a 4-5 bus ride.

I'm living in the sisaket province, which is about as far away from the ocean as you might be able to get, and hoping i can head down south sometime soon!
I'll do a bit more research and if i find some interesting stuff in pattaya i might message you for advice if that's alright!
thanks again for the reply!
cheers

For sure - if you decide to go to Pattaya PM me and I'll speak to my former dive shop. I can't promise any special discounts or anything but you never know! I actually used to love diving in Pattaya (not at all the reefs though!) and one could argue (quite strongly, I feel) that because conditions are not ideal (low viz, sometimes strong currents), you are better prepared for diving in other locations. Lots of super cheap places to stay as well (obviously).

Also, between us, Supershark and I can misdirect you to some of the best places to hang out in Pattaya or Phuket. Supershark performs a most agreeable bar hopping tour of Patong - from which 9 months later I am still recovering! :D

Happy diving,

C.
Cheers,

C.

I did all of my training through DM with Chaloklum Diving. I have worked with them for several years as a DM, and as an Instructor. There are many dive schools, be careful. I can speak to the integrity of the guys at Chalokum Diving. You will not find better training anywhere. Very thorough, very professional. Small groups. VERY high standards.
chaloklum-diving.com

Ooops, I forgot to say that Chaloklum Diving is on Koh Phangan. It's the island just north of Koh Samui in the Gulf of Thailand.

Hello all,

Thanks Mr Crowley for those kind words about my bar hopping tour. I am also a pretty good dive instructor, I should be as you taught me.

The diving down here in Phuket is very different from the Gulf. I would also echo Crowley's view on Koh Phi Phi, not my favourite place to live.

Picking between Pattay and Phuket will have to be a decision you make alone, however between myself and Crowley we can certainly give you both the pros and cons of both places.

Appleseed, I have sent you a PM, check it out and get in touch.

Cheers

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom