Do you test your nitrox?

Do you test O2 concentration of your nitrox tank?

• Before every dive.

Votes: 258 94.9%
  • Before most dive.

Votes: 7 2.6%
  • Rarely.

Votes: 3 1.1%
  • Never.

Votes: 4 1.5%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Absolutely. Normally I use Nitrox on liveaboards and there have been several occasions where it was absolutely not what I was told it was. Either wrong by a few percent, or on occasion the filler forget to put the O2 in completely and the tank was air. I thought it was a rule - places I've been you have to sign a log to say that you've checked it.

fisherdvm:
Do you test every Nitrox tank you use, or do you just trust the supplier?

Considering my life is dependent on it I check every Nitrox tank regardless of who filled it.

I will give you an example.

I was diving in Curacao last summer and Ocean Encounters says they only use EAN32 a which is usually around 31.9 % O2.

The first dive was to 105 feet Superior Producer).

The first tank I analyzed was almost EAN36. The MOD for EAN36 in approximately 95 feet.

I immediately put that tank aside. I analyzed the second tank and it was EAN32. I put the BC on that tank and saved the first tank for second dive which was between 60 to 70 feet.

I'd like to see the people who said they don't analyze post here and say why on Earth don't you analyze the mix? It's simply stupid to not analyze it, or hopefully they meant they at least watched and verified somebody else analyzing it.

At any rate, it's your life. To me mine is worth the extra couple seconds to analyze a mix and I own an analyzer to compare the shops against. PS, most shops around here require me to sign the log and note the mix and mod. The mod is what I choose, for example if I wanted a 1.9 mod I could put that down, or a 1.1 mod could be done. The point is they want to have you document the mix and how deep it's going to be used for. I guess that gets them off the hook if you tox.

Soggy:
How do you know that you are calibrating to air?

I guess if you come right down to it, I don't know - but the sensor usually comes in the vicinity of 21%. Then you turn the calibration knob to lock in on 21%.

...steve...

Always ... no exceptions

cdennyb:
I sample the CB air before the compressor, after the compressor but before the tank while filling, and...
if that isn't anal enough, I test the cylinder after I'm done filling, to just to be sure.
is that too much testing?
As far as I'm concerned, that's not enough testing- you didn't say that you test the cylinder before attaching the reg.

I don't always test the mix at the shop, but I usually test it the night before when I'm packing and then again when I attach the reg. The last one is the only one that counts for me. Anything else is just to avoid the inconvenience of packing the wrong tank. I also test tanks that have air in them since I might have topped off a previous mix.

Absolutely, my LDS will not let you out the door without testing and filling out the log correctly. However, some dive shops are a little sketchy in their mixtures. If it is 1 % off - forget it!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom