Do you wear a dive watch? (not computer)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm probably not the right person to ask. But I do have a watch that's rated for 100 m and is a cheapie which is great. Because there would be no crying if anything happened to it

I've had mine down to 120 deep

I'm a watch enthusiast and have a small collection, but I'm still hunting for the right dive watch. I love the idea of using a watch for it's (historical) intended purpose (and of course still using a computer), but really enjoy when the desk diver watch goes for a dip. I've got my eye on a Christopher Ward C60, but it'll take a while to save up for.
still wear a Seiko Turtle every day. It comes with me on any dive where I'm wearing a wetsuit but since I wear it with a metal bracelet I don't wear it when I'm diving dry. If I'm doing quarry dives where I know the depth profile really well I will often just wear it instead of a computer, especially when it's warm, similar with simple cave/cavern dives. Those I really consider glorified pool dives though and while it's nice to have, they really aren't something that you should choose as a primary source of information, especially since you would need a depth gauge to really make it useful. Great as a timer, great as a secondary source of information, but not something I can really recommend to use in lieu of a computer

I only ever wear a watch when on dive vacations and even though I have fairly decent Citizen Eco Drive Diver....... my go to on vaca is a $20 Casio that I've had for years and it's never failed or flooded...even after a couple of self battery swaps and many dives. I mostly dive recreational 32% these days and so just have a self imposed MOD of 100ft to keep it simple.

To be honest, the battery swap on the cheap Casio is a bit of a pain so when this one goes dead I'll probably just pony up the $20 and get a new one.

PS..... Really nice to have a watch on Bonaire since I don't bring my phone to dive sites...

VZjauya.jpg

Seiko SKX173… like an SKX007 but with different number markers.

View attachment 829096
It also has a slightly different seconds hand. The other SKX series watches have the lollipop on the back end. Of all the many watches I own, the one I will never part with is my SKX011 (the orange face version). It was the first dive watch I bought, and two decades later it's still going strong. The 7S26 movement isn't the most accurate and doesn't hack, but it just keeps running and running. I was bummed when Seiko discontinued the line and came out with the 5KX instead. All they had to do was drill the lugs and put a newer 4R movement in it and keep on selling them. Oh well.

I have a few, I try to take one on each dive. Not for any practical reason (I use a Garmin MK2S as my actual computer) than the simple enjoyment of having it there and seeing it every once in a while. :)
I’m wearing that same Seiko Monster right now. It’s one of my favorites!

How great are Seiko dials? I love the shape of the Monster case too, such a 90's / early 00's feel to it.
I know! I'm kicking myself for not getting a 2nd gen Orange Monster when they came out. I wanted one, but already had an orange SKX. Now I really wish I had one.

I like dive watches, and wear them often.... but never to dive. My fraternal twins... Ecozillas, in titanium and stainless steel. I'm a fan of the caseback design.

Attachments

• IMG_20180423_200638_559.jpg
    IMG_20180423_200638_559.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 35
  • 20220806_130557.jpg
    20220806_130557.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 34
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom