Farnsworth Banks accident last weekend?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If it was an OOA situation, where was the buddy?

I was on the boat (Vision) and in the water. There was a fatality. Here are the basic details:

Diver (Fatality) had over 100 logged dives

The bank (Farnsworth) was about as pristine as I have ever seen it. No current. Hardly any surge and about 50-100+ feet of vis. Made a dive to 130 +/- and then back to the boat. Accident happened after I got back.

Both Diver and his buddy made it to safety stop, but did not come up the anchor line. Buddy had an OOA situation and came to the surface. Said other diver was "Venting" his BC and descending. The crew of the Vision reacted in a trained and expeditious manner, but were unable to locate the second diver. He was later found OOA and at the bottom.

Was a sad incident all around, but I cannot find any fault in the reactions/actions of the crew or the dive buddy. They did what they could.

Very sad to hear. Thanks for the details. I've dived the Truth Aquatics boats, especially the Vision, and they are a great operation.

I was on the boat (Vision) and in the water. There was a fatality. Here are the basic details:

Diver (Fatality) had over 100 logged dives

The bank (Farnsworth) was about as pristine as I have ever seen it. No current. Hardly any surge and about 50-100+ feet of vis. Made a dive to 130 +/- and then back to the boat. Accident happened after I got back.

Both Diver and his buddy made it to safety stop, but did not come up the anchor line. Buddy had an OOA situation and came to the surface. Said other diver was "Venting" his BC and descending. The crew of the Vision reacted in a trained and expeditious manner, but were unable to locate the second diver. He was later found OOA and at the bottom.

Was a sad incident all around, but I cannot find any fault in the reactions/actions of the crew or the dive buddy. They did what they could.

Why would someone at a safety stop vent his BC and descend? The only thing I can think of is that he/she used the wrong button, got panicked, and lost control of the situation? Or perhaps the vent button stuck, and panic ensued? I wonder whether if he had dropped weights he could have survived, maybe.

PURELY SPECULATION on my part.

- Bill

Last edited:
Yes there were four SoCal dive incidents centered around the weekend of March 22+23.

Bill

All good questions.

He WAS NOT using his Alternate Air source to "Breathe" off of at the safety stop.

And to Chilly's point - It is not uncommon to have to "Vent" from your BCD on your way up. "If" you are using the BC for Buoyancy Control. Which he would have been, since he was diving in a 7MM Farmer John wetsuit

However, me personally - I never have any air in my BCD. But then again, I am diving dry.

~R~

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom