Female first time travelling solo, first dive trip. I think Cozumel is the way to go?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As I've never been a single female, I can't help with that particular aspect. But as a single male, I've made quite a number of solo trips to Cozumel, and never had a problem. I've also been diving numerous times with Dive with Martin, and can highly recommend them. And with the free rental gear, you are saving enough on diving to pay for the taxis - provided that you ALWAYS PAY THE TAXIS IN PESOS. Yes, the all-Caps was intentional, and I can't emphasize it enough. Learn the current exchange rate, exchange currency at a Bank, or get Pesos from an ATM (but NEVER one of those free-standing ATMs on the sidewalks, or in shops - use only the ATMs inside or attached to a Bank, or at Mega or Chedruai), but you'll save a lot paying in Pesos. Lots of budget options for staying downtown, like Hotel La Casona Real (about 3 blocks back from the Plaza, clean rooms with a pool, you can find deals for about $40 US a night), Hotel Plaza Cozumel (right on the Plaza, with rooftop pool, you can find deals for about $40 US), Suites Bahia or Suites Colonial (both include the Breakfast Buffet at Casa Mexicana, no pool, about $45 US a night), Mi Casa en Cozumel (one block back from the waterfront, about $45 a night). You can stay even cheaper farther back in town, as low as $12-$15 a night if a shared room in a hostel will do, but then there's a long walk to get to the water and downtown. For lodging, check the prices you can get on Hotels.com or Kayak - these are often much better than what will be quoted on the Hotel's website. And you can find very good dining at very reasonable prices if you stick to the little local places - like El Moro (a scubaboard favorite), Pescaderia San Carlos (great fresh seafood, only open for lunch), and lots of "loncherias", places open for lunch that will serve you a full meal, including chips and salsa, soup, an entree with rice and beans, and an agua fresca to drink, for only 75-80 Pesos. Check out the restaurant threads on this board, as well as CozumelMyCozumel.com, a blog run by an ex-pat American living in Cozumel that has lots of reliable information.

We have been to Cozumel several times and it is a wonderful destination, but because you are a single diver on a tight budget I wanted to mention that Anthony's Key Resort in Roatan is offering a 2 for 1 special which I believe means that they are waiving the single diver supplement fee. The diver package includes all meals, accommodations, and diving, see the link below.

I don't know how expensive it is to get to Roatan from Toronto but I wanted to mention that not all of the rooms at AKR are air-conditioned, so if that is important to you, then you should expect to pay a little more for a room with A/C. It is important to me, I want to be able to close the windows to keep out the heat and mosquitos! Also keep in mind that there is a 19% tax on Roatan resort vacations. Good luck!

2 for 1 Travel Deal | Anthony's Key Resort | Roatan | Honduras

Last edited:
when r u looking at going Im Canadian as well, west jet flies direct wed,sat, wed. being the cheapest 450 can. Im looking at going in a few weeks and I can book though Mexico Hotels-Mexico Resorts Si-Mexico All Inclusive Resort Hotel Vacation Packages Travel Guide and just select west jet as preferred airline on a wednesday you can get a place and flight for 700-900 or around 1200 and up this is american
I prefer flight only and book at scuba club cozumel as its 5 min walk to centuro and free shore diving 15 feet deep right in front I think 900 for 7 night 5 days of diving

First off, I have a number of female clients who dive all over and travel solo. Two ladies are now on the Carpe Diem in the Maldives, one from Canada the second from Istanbul. Recently had two Canadian gals, one from Montreal and the second from Toronto, dive the Cassiopeia in the Sudan. I have two ladies from Toronto now at Lembeh. If you use common sense, you should have no problem where ever you decide to dive.

As suggested, if you can get West Jet to Coz, that is probably the best bet as this is the season for their flights to Mexico. It will depend upon your departure city for direct flights. Out of Winnipeg, we have horrible connections and rarely get direct flights. I avoid the charters as they often fly horrible "red eye" hours and jamb you like sardines. You can get an inexpensive upgrade on WJ that includes better seats and meals, well worth the cost. Other options might include the Caymans as you can get Air Canada there. Cost will be an issue to some degree for any destination with the depressed Canadian dollar vs the US dollar, most resorts quoting in USD. You might even consider Belize depending upon flights.

---------- Post added January 2nd, 2016 at 05:25 PM ----------

As suggested, if you can get West Jet to Coz, that is probably the best bet as this is the season for their flights to Mexico. It will depend upon your departure city for direct flights. Out of Winnipeg, we have horrible connections and rarely get direct flights. I avoid the charters as they often fly horrible "red eye" hours and jamb you like sardines. You can get an inexpensive upgrade on WJ that includes better seats and meals, well worth the cost. Other options might include the Caymans as you can get Air Canada there. Cost will be an issue to some degree for any destination with the depressed Canadian dollar vs the US dollar, most resorts quoting in USD. You might even consider Belize depending upon flights.

Thanks, I didn't know about the Westjet direct flight, that looks like the best option.

---------- Post added January 2nd, 2016 at 05:27 PM ----------

when r u looking at going Im Canadian as well, west jet flies direct wed,sat, wed. being the cheapest 450 can. Im looking at going in a few weeks and I can book though Mexico Hotels-Mexico Resorts Si-Mexico All Inclusive Resort Hotel Vacation Packages Travel Guide and just select west jet as preferred airline on a wednesday you can get a place and flight for 700-900 or around 1200 and up this is american
I prefer flight only and book at scuba club cozumel as its 5 min walk to centuro and free shore diving 15 feet deep right in front I think 900 for 7 night 5 days of diving
I think the second week of Feb, would like to not be there when Carnaval is going on ideally.

Last edited:
Reactions: MMM
I'll be returning on the Westjet flight leaving Coz on Feb 17. I've gone Westjet for the last 4 or 5 years thanks to their perfect (for me) schedule. Catch a 7:00 AM in Ottawa, arrive in TO at about 8:00, leave TO for Coz at roughly 10:45 AM & get there for a late lunch. That flight becomes the return to Canada flight arriving in TO at about 7:30 PM & we then catch the 9:30 back to Ottawa & are in the house around midnight. NO wasted time.

I visit Cozumel a few times a year, most times solo and most always stay in town, I like Tarimindo B&B. It's walkable to town and very affordable. I also like Villas El EnCanto in the Corpus Christi area. I always rent a car and use Rentadora Isis, always rent a VW Beetle for $35. Per day including insurance. have Never had an issue overpaying for gas in to 30 or so times I have rented. Parking has never been an issue. It's nice having the freedom to come and go. I agree with the others about flying into Cozumel especially on your first trip. I have done the bag drag from Cancun a few times when the savings was over $200 on the airfare. The diving is great, enjoy your vacation!

Someday.. Dive with Martin is a great operation and some of my friends dive with them but for us, they only pick up south of the southern pier and making it there for the 7:30AM pickups didn't work for us as we'd need to pay for a mofia taxi to and fro and we love to stay in town and experience the culture. If this is your first trip to Coz, I think you should stay in town and experience it all. Our current dive op is Tres Pelicanos. We made a switch to them aftet our prior dive op sold to new management and it went down hill. As others have recommended, There are some great places to stay in town that won't break the bank. We stay at the Casa Mexicana but that is a "sister" hotel to the Bahia suites and Colonial suites (same owner). The huge breakfast buffet is served at the Casa Mexicana but if you stay at the sister hotels you can walk a few blocks and grab the best breakfast on the island in my opinion and it will be included in your room rate at the Bahia or Colonial. I am a big fan of Tres Pelicanos dive operation. They will take you from their in-town dive shop to their boats and back frww of charge and they can plan your entire stay at a price that can't be matched. We've been diving Coz for the last 14 years or so and I am a maser at finding the lowest price at our Casa Mexicana but they beat it this year with their house negotiated prices. I'd say look up Tres Pelicanos, send an email to Jeanie and she'll immediately respond and address all of your concerns, your budget, and can place you in the lower priced Bahia or Colonial that are both in town and great places to stay. You won't regret it and your trip and dives will be stress free on the cheap.

Scuba Club All Inclusive,cheap and includes diving :[h=1]Feb / March Special
Springtime in Paradise!
[/h][h=4]5 Nights
4 Days of Boat Diving
Breakfast & Lunch Daily
Unlimited Beach Diving[/h][h=3]$625 plus tax per person double occupancy
Add dinner for 5 nights for $99 plus tax[/h]
Travel dates are from Feb. 1 – March 31, 2016
No other discounts apply

I was going to suggest comparing the total price of using DWM (I've dove with them & have nothing bad to say) + transportation to / from the International Pier (if needed) to Tres Pelicano's including gear rental. That may end up pretty close in price. Also as stated DWM hits the water a bit earlier than many others making it important to have access to an early breakfast.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom