First BC - Jacket or Wing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

When my wife and I got certified, we purchased our gear prior to getting certified. We both got Jackets and have never had aproblem with them and would recommend theis style to anyone. Also, had an Air Source installed on both jackets ( They are Air Intergrated ),which got rid of the Octo ( one less hose).

What every you decide Lots of luck and safe diving.

Joe

I'm a new diver, only 20 logged dives so far. I was told a BP/W was a no no for new divers, my face would plant the water and I would have to dive double steels to stay upright. BS!!!!!! My first dive off the boat in Cayman proved that was a crock of s***!
I popped up straight as an arrow! Getting the weight spread out over my back improved my trim immensely and I was diving neutral after several dives. 3# on the belt and NO air in my wing. I turned on my back several times to look up at other divers and rolled back over with total control. Fiddling with getting a BP/W setup correctly is not for everyone but I think many folks can do it if they really want to get involved with fine tuning their gear.

cdennyb:
IMHO, if you can't roll over on your back with either a single or double set up and a wing, you have too much weight on and need to trim down a bit.

Naturally we are discussing a BC with some air in it. If the BC didn't have air in it then the question is moot. You could be wearing a horse collar, a jacket, or wings and none of them would have an effect.

But, picture a wings BC with some air in it. The wings are held up. To roll over to your back the air will flow from one side to the other and back again as you do so.

When a diver rolls over with a stab jacket, the jacket rotates but the air stays in the same place. There is not a noticable air shift.

Note to MechDiver: Your duck avatar is wearing a jacket BC.

ew1usnr:
But, picture a wings BC with some air in it. The wings are held up. To roll over to your back the air will flow from one side to the other and back again as you do so.

When a diver rolls over with a stab jacket, the jacket rotates but the air stays in the same place.

Note to MechDiver: Your duck avatar is wearing a jacket BC.

This is only true of a Scubapro stab jacket, and then only partially. You really need to think about your statements above and think what happens to the air when you rotate.

The duck is hardheaded and doesn't listen to good advice, hence the poodle jacket. He is free, however.

MD

JRiderski - do pray tell what the advantage of "one less hose" is???? I never understood that argument. My stock response is to take an ammo belt and fill it with spare airs - now you have a zero hose configuration.

ew1usnr - have you actually dove with a bp/wings on a single tank? And not one of those old-fashioned doubles-style wings - a quality Halcyon or Oxycheq donut wing designed for single tank use?

I have. And I have dove a jacket. And there's a reason I'll never ever ever own a jacket type BC again.

MechDiver:
This is only true of a Scubapro stab jacket ..

The Scubapro stab-jacket is the finest BC jacket (in my opinion). It has continuous bladder that lets the air flow from any position. It was patented so the other manufactures had to make jackets that didn't offer as much freedom of movement.

Unless a jacket is substantially inflated, it shouldn't behave much differently than wings underwater. In a horizontal face down position, the air will still be along the back of the BC.

The duck is happy and is having a good time.

Welcome to the board Drew.
Pasley has given you the best answer so far. Rent or borrow different types/makes for a while, get some diving under your belt and then decide what works best for you and your style of diving. I have dove jackets, BP/wings and back inflates. Each have their advantages and disadvantages. Don't be pushed into any style BC before diving them yourself. I prefer any kind of back inflates over jacket styles but I find BP/wings more of a pain to adjust that I care to mess with. To ME they are uncomfortable above water and perform no better than other back inflate styles underwater. That said, IF I were going to dive doubles or go into tech diving, then a BP is what I would use. Lots of people love BP's, some hate them and some like me are kind of neutral on them, so the only real way to know if you like or hate them is to actually dive one yourself.
For your wife, I would suggest that she also try different types. Reguardless of the BC's quality or how it performs, if she is not happy with it, you will not be happy..

ew1usnr:
The Scubapro stab-jacket is the finest BC jacket (in my opinion). It has continuous bladder that lets the air flow from any position. It was patented so the other manufactures had to make jackets that didn't offer as much freedom of movement.

The duck is happy and is having a good time.

I'll agree on the SP being a good jacket, due to air being able to flow around the shoulders. It is, however, not more stable than anything else out there other than a Wal-Mart Squid model.
I also realize you have to justify your less than optimum gear choice (at least to yourself), so this thread is at an end. You can take a diver to water...

The duck is happy becasue he's on his way to buy a bp&w!

MD

Swing by Scuba Dive & Travel in Minneapolis and rent a BP/Wings setup to try. Darin & Rich are both really nice guys (and NO, I don't work there, just a satisfied customer...)

Boogie711:
JRiderski - do pray tell what the advantage of "one less hose" is???? I never understood that argument. My stock response is to take an ammo belt and fill it with spare airs - now you have a zero hose configuration.

This might be a good configuration for caving that is mostly dry (or chest deep) but also involves traversing short sumps. It would beat dragging a single heavy tank.

Boogie711:
ew1usnr - have you actually dove with a bp/wings on a single tank? And not one of those old-fashioned doubles-style wings - a quality Halcyon or Oxycheq donut wing designed for single tank use?

No, I have not. The donut wing sounds interesting, though. It allows a free movement of air (also the concept of a stab-jacket). You would still have an air shift while doing a 360-degree barrel roll. When you roll 90-degrees to one side all the air goes to one wing. It makes a barrel roll more dramatic.

Back
Top Bottom